1. There is a new You Too, you can vote for this new poll on the frontpage and discuss it in this thread.

The question of this new You Too is:

You Too: What do you like most about the Films of Innocence project?
    - It actually puts the songs in order
    - The striking visuals of each video
    - They're different to the songs but still fit in somehow
    - There's plenty of scope for a great set of films
    - It's very different from what U2 has done before
    - Not really liking it, just seems boring
    - I haven't seen any of the films yet

Please vote on the frontpage of the website, in this thread you can tell us why you voted for your answer.
    Your vote is valued! Thank you!
  2. If you didn't get to see the videos when they were released for free, you probably missed your best chance to see them since (depending on how much they are charging for the films) I don't think many of them are worth paying for. If you don't like street art, you probably won't like most of the films and if even if you do like street art, you'll find that the use of street art in the films is incredibly repetitive. Of course, the films were probably produced independently of each other, so there was no way for the filmmakers to know that the result would be 5+ films featuring street art. The standouts to me are Miracle, Raised By Wolves, Volcano, Every Breaking Wave, Iris. Another downside is that they are only being released in a digital format (at least to my understanding). If they could put them all on a DVD or something I think it would be a more worthy investment at this point.
  3. Not liked even one of them at all, sorry to say it. Boring is the least critical adjective I can think of. What's up with that fascination of watching a paint being created? It gets so repetitive. Did they even hear the songs before? After seeing, for example, the video for SLABT I really doubt it. There was a lot of potential for a narrative with the SOI songs that was just wasted. They could at least create interesting visuals, but, as another example, half of Cedarwood Road is wasted on visuals from a bad 70's acid trip (and the other half is just as bad too). I get that the artists had the freedom to do anything they wanted, perhaps deviating from the meaning of the songs, but when you accept to associate your work with a song, it's supposed to be for the benefit of both. Take a look at the video for Paranoid Android from Radiohead, for example, to see an original video that in a twisted way captures the complexities of a song.
    I can say more but I'll stop here. Really disappointed. It makes me miss Linear and that's saying too much.
  4. I agre with many of your points, César. "Wasted chance" is the best term I can think of, yeah. Although I really liked some of the vids. Raised By Wolves, Cedarwood Road, The Miracle, The Troubles and, surprisingly, Iris. But overall I feel it was not worth the hype I myself gave to the release

PS. I understand that you don't get the street parts of Cedarwood Road if you haven't been to Dublin
  5. Perhaps I was too harsh with my assessment. The best I can say about FOI is that there are interesting "photographs and posters" there, but you can't make a 4 min video with a cool poster.
    You're right, I've never been to Dublin, but I still don't get the point of Cedarwood Road. The fact that there's no people in it makes me think it's a soulless video. We miss the connection of those places with the band, or with any story or impression whatsoever. The Department of Tourism or the like can make a better video if the intention was to show the beauty of the city. Don't get me started with Crystal Ballroom!
    For a band this huge and this good, it's astonishing to see how they almost never get right the visuals for their songs. Anyway, I'll always have the music. Peace to all.

6. Remember that the films were entirely produced by the independents, so it's likely that U2 did not contribute anything more than the song itself. That goes back to the point I made that the producers were not communicating with each other, resulting in most of the films featuring street art.

But if you were making a general point about U2's visuals, I think they have done a very good job throughout the various tours.
  7. What did I like most? Alternate "Every Breaking Wave" edit.
  8. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

Remember that the films were entirely produced by the independents, so it's likely that U2 did not contribute anything more than the song itself. That goes back to the point I made that the producers were not communicating with each other, resulting in most of the films featuring street art.

But if you were making a general point about U2's visuals, I think they have done a very good job throughout the various tours.
    I totally agree with you about the tours. I originally meant that, in general, the videos, since I Will Follow to The Miracle are not in the same league as the songs. I want to see a concept (that's why I love the Lemon vid), even if it falls flat or looks ridiculous (cough... Discotheque... cough), not just another generic shot of the band playing, even if it comes with a fancy background or CGI effects.
    I was hoping to see an idea, a twist or something that grabbed my attention in at least one of the songs on FOI, but I think only the Miracle came close.
    Just my 0.02.
  9. Some videos were boring but some like Raised By Wolves were amazing !

I like Iris and Cedarwood Road too
  10. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    I totally agree with you about the tours. I originally meant that, in general, the videos, since I Will Follow to The Miracle are not in the same league as the songs. I want to see a concept (that's why I love the Lemon vid), even if it falls flat or looks ridiculous (cough... Discotheque... cough), not just another generic shot of the band playing, even if it comes with a fancy background or CGI effects.
    I was hoping to see an idea, a twist or something that grabbed my attention in at least one of the songs on FOI, but I think only the Miracle came close.
    Just my 0.02.
    Wait are we talking about music videos or films to accompany songs? If it's music videos you're talking about, U2's done a lot of really good ones. I personally really like their original video for Walk On because it really incorporates the whole message of the song. Unfortunately, since it was released as part of the U218 Singles, it's no longer publicly available.
  11. I was talking about music videos. To me, for every good video (One and Please by A. Corbijn, for instance) there are 3 generic videos of the band playing, with minor CGI or pretty backgrounds, but that's just my opinion.
  12. Most music videos are going to feature the band playing in some way or another, but the good ones put it into context. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own does a great job of this. From a production standpoint, it's really simple. However, it connects to the message of the song very effectively.