1. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]
    Pop was a success. It took a few years to grow on me, but I think at this point I can enjoy Pop as much as the next guy.

But Popmart was a massive failure for one main reason: it did not resonate with American audiences. I've mentioned this before, but Popmart in the US was similar to Rattle and Hum in that they were both attempts of U2 trying to tell Americans what their culture was. The idea of consumer culture was so ingrained into American society that when this Irish band rolls up in this giant McDonalds sign and starts making fun of people spending money on stuff, Americans found it boring.
    It wasn't an entirely positive story in Europe either...
  2. Japan didn't get the irony either.
  3. I guess we should say that Popmart was a massive failure because it didn't resonate with anyone...
  4. The funny thing is that I enjoy the shows now when I listen to them and the dvd is great.

I certainly didn't like it back in the day though.
  5. Ehh... there are still many aspects of the show I don't enjoy today. However, the songs that they've taken and performed live elsewhere have almost universally been great.
  6. After Magnificent's performance in Amsterdam last Sunday, POP is now the only album not to enjoy representation on the I&E Tour.

So sad.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:After Magnificent's performance in Amsterdam last Sunday, POP is now the only album not to enjoy representation on the I&E Tour.

So sad.
    Would love to hear Discotheque/Gone/Please/Anything from POP
  8. Please in Belfast. I shall demand it should I see the band around.
  9. I have this suspicion that Please will rear its head on this tour, apparenly there's renewed tension in Ireland at the moment.
  10. Huh, I'd love please