1. Originally posted by Bloodraven:
    If this is indeed what they're trying to say, then playing The Wanderer during the intermission is one of the most powerful moments of the whole show, and they're not even on the stage (which is partly why it would be so powerful... so much for calling it "intermission")...[/i]

Was listening to the Wanderer the other day and it hit me how relevant this song is to the theme of the tour...especially:

"I went out there...in search of experience!"
  2. After having experienced on of their shows, I have to agree with this general breakdown and I love it! U2 shows have always been symbolic and thematic in nature, but to turn your entire show into a narrative is another step up. One thing I really like is how the light bulb remains as a permanent fixture throughout the set in various mediums. Obviously, you have the giant physical bulb that hangs out by the band from the very start (the fact that it's lit as people enter the venue is also in itself a great fixture). Moving forward, you see that light bulb return in the visuals for various songs. I've mentioned in another post that these gigs feel like part concert, part theater, and part art exhibit.
  3. Finally had time to read your statement. I think you're not far from the truth. And the band's intentions. Great analysis. Unfortunately, a lot of people won't realise the whole story. Only the 2nd part, as Bono explains it. The other parts don't have a live explanation.
  4. I like it better this way, to be honest. Even though many people won't get the overall narrative seen in the show, I wouldn't want Bono to have to put in excess words to "walk" us through it. Some people just aren't into that sort of thing. The parts that Bono explains is just as intentional as the parts he doesn't explain. I think they way they are doing it provides an interesting experience to new fans, but truly rewards those who have been with the band for quite some time.
  5. Hmm fair point as well...
  6. Excellent stuff Mr. Bloodraven! In my business this is called an art critique,
    basically an attempt to understand the artists' work supported by well thought arguements.
    And it starts good as well: a provoctive title with a perfect mix of irony and display (and irony,
    of course, is already a mixture itself - a mixture of seriousness and humour).

As promised, I will also try to use at least one question mark in this reply (the idea is that this
    would give your critique even more cachet). But the only thing I could think of was that these
    current shows could just as well be act 1 and 2. The remaining acts then to be played out in
    Dublin (act 3) and "Songs of Experience" (act 4+5). But this is in fact already to much speculation.
    Besides this, it will only make the work of art - for that is what we are talking about - more "deep."
    As if the final work of art was already mirrored in the beginning (and so your art critique even more
    relevant!)

- the question mark thus put as follows: Are these first-leg shows not just act one and act two?

Originally posted by Bloodraven: [...] Ok, obviously all this won't make any sense if today -or any day in the following year- they start making changes to the setlist, but for now, I like to see the show with all this in mind. [...]
    The truth is that it does make sense, regardless of setlist changes in the coming year.
    It is a remarkable smart interpretation frame and I'm currious to see how it will play out!
  7. Again thanks for the comments!!

Originally posted by ahn1991: One thing I really like is how the light bulb remains as a permanent fixture throughout the set in various mediums. Obviously, you have the giant physical bulb that hangs out by the band from the very start (the fact that it's lit as people enter the venue is also in itself a great fixture). Moving forward, you see that light bulb return in the visuals for various songs. I've mentioned in another post that these gigs feel like part concert, part theater, and part art exhibit.
    Well that lightbulb represents their innocence, heavily used in the first few songs. And that innocence is betrayed and destroyed in Until The End Of The World, which is the song that narrates arguably the most important betrayal story in the world, always staged with a good dose of good vs evil theatrics.

I see it as a complete work, but I'm really curious as to what they'll do if/when/as SoE starts to materialize...

In the meantime, this has worked so far great for me to understand/find meaning in the "why they don't play x or y song in this spot!?!?"
  8. There's actually a really great mini-narrative between Raised By Wolves and UTEOTW. There's a huge element of loss of faith in that song (I don't believe anymore, crushed under the weight of a cross of passion where the passion is hate, worst things in the world are justified by belief) which nicely transitions to Bono's Judas persona. People tend to think of the Judas of scripture as a shrewd and cowardly man, but personally I think Bono's interpretation of the character as a huge persona that can stand his own against Jesus (as played by The Edge) is much more interesting
  9. Good observation Alex! My personal favorite at this moment is the Wanderer vs Invisible. In fact it is this last song with its beautiful (minor?) chord structure, emotinal guitar riff and smart lyrics that as been growing on my the last 2 weeks. Anyway, as already thoughtfully remarked by BR, the Wanderer is a transition song and I also think that the absense of the band is significant, if only because they are invisible (guess BR also noticed this!).
    But is Wanderer an announcement, or is it a conclusion? Is Invisible a begining, or a continuation? (and it can be both too!)
    For me personally, Invisible is about intentionality, freedom and being-there (this mainly because that is relevant for me to hear - alright, I hear encouragement of being), but hopefully you guys have different ideas about Invisible. But don't get me wrong, I have always valued the music of U2 higher than the lyrics. That's where my heart lies (and my head is somewhere inbetween...)