1. I've seen a LITTLE bit written on this, but I'm surprised that:

a) More YouTube videos haven't surfaced of this speech, considering how much exhaustive video we have for almost every song, on every show this tour.

b) This clip doesn't have more views. I haven't seen it shared at all. Then again, I guess the general public has such a cemented, unshakeable (yet misguided) conviction that Bono is the Worldwide King of Douchebags that they wouldn't care to watch or share.

I personally think it's a great moment, a short & sweet speech that even non-diehards would appreciate, as much as many people hate listening to Bono talk.

It wasn't canned - it might become part of his nightly script, especially in big LGBT cities like LA & NYC, but at least on this night it was a real-time response.

In case anyone was looking for the video:

Audience video
    2:15 Speech starts
    3:55 Lyric change: "Free at last, they took your life. They could not take your gay pride."

Pro-Shot, but less crowd energy
  2. Hey, why is there a pro-shot of Pride? Anyway, great moment of B. Today, gay rights are one of the last 'rights' to fight for in western societies. Of course, that does not mean that once established, heaven has arrived, but neither can be said about the situation for women, blacks and other people who have to deal with bigotry and white, heteronormative standards.

There's a mixed reaction from the crowds I think, especially in the US, where U2 is also popular because they are Christians, and many Christians (or people from other religions), you know...
  3. Wow really liking Pride on this tour after hating it for years
  4. Originally posted by dieder:There's a mixed reaction from the crowds I think, especially in the US, where U2 is also popular because they are Christians, and many Christians (or people from other religions), you know...
    And that's the beauty of it... when someone you "trust" tells you something you didn't want to hear, chances are you'll listen.
  5. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    And that's the beauty of it... when someone you "trust" tells you something you didn't want to hear, chances are you'll listen.
    yes. A bit like the "Palestinian dream" during Obama's inauguration Go Bono.
  6. Wow a pro shot! I love it! Wonder how this stage looks on dvd.

Love this speech, but the gay pride part was kinda weird
  7. We got this reply from another fan on Facebook:
    Altering the lyrics of Pride about Martin Luther King during a concert to promote gay rights has changed my perception of the band. The world may be have become more open minded and tolerant on this subject, but I haven't and neither has the Lord's. Shame on you Bono for going against the Bible and your Christian faith.

Guess there are really a lot of mixed responses to this.
  8. Originally posted by Remy:We got this reply from another fan on Facebook:
    [..]

Guess there are really a lot of mixed responses to this.
    Idiotic response, anyone can believe whatever he or she want's but comments and actions like this make me sick. If you don't like the fact that some people are gay just ignore it.
    I don't like it that a lot of people believe in something that is made up (god) but I don't run into a church and scream: '' You are all retarded'' Just let everyone be.

I'm happy Bono and the others have the balls to say something like he did during Pride.
  9. "The worst things in the world are justified by belief"

Fucking hate when people use religion to denounce the ways of others.
  10. while i agree its bonos buisiness what he believes and not anybody elses
    in the facebook defence its not religion but the bible states that it is wrong and a disgrace to be gay and if he believes in the bible i guess he picks and chooses what he wants but he shouldnt have to answer to anybody elses opinions but God, Jesus and the angels.....
    not here for a debate so i end it here
  11. Originally posted by Buttons:while i agree its bonos buisiness what he believes and not anybody elses
    in the facebook defence its not religion but the bible states that it is wrong and a disgrace to be gay and if he believes in the bible i guess he picks and chooses what he wants but he shouldnt have to answer to anybody elses opinions but God, Jesus and the angels.....
    not here for a debate so i end it here
    Bible = religion?
    I don't mind if people life their live accoring to the bible or some other book but only if their look around and see that the world isn't the same as it was when those books were written.
  12. im old fashioned and believe God does not approve as well...
    dont ask me why!!!.....