15 City of Blinding Lights
    16 Beautiful Day

Encore
    17 Please
    18 Wake Up Deadman
    19 If You Wear That Velvet Dress
    20 Fast Cars
    21 Yahweh
  4. So, I remember this little game was popular back when Bloodraven started it a couple years ago (thanks man, I always love a good setlist game!) and since we have a new album out I thought it might be nice to make a little comeback...

U2 discography
    Songs of Experience - 1980
    Songs of Innocence - 1981
    No Line On the Horizon - 1983
    How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - 1984
    All That You Can't Leave Behind - 1987
    Pop - 1988
    Zooropa - 1991
    Achtung Baby - 1993
    Rattle and Hum - 1997
    The Joshua Tree - 2000
    The Unforgettable Fire - 2004
    War - 2009
    October - 2014
    Boy - 2017

Spoiler (click to toggle)
    As an aside, this chronology seems quite different to me compared to the original which lacked SOE, and thus Achtung Baby was in the same place. I think earlier and later albums will be a bit more challenging/correspond less well, but I think the middle albums (1987-2000) actually work out better...

The gist is that this is an alternative universe where U2's chronology was inverted. What were their tours like? What were the successful albums, the fan favourites, the misfires? The simplest solution is to correlate the alternative timeline album with the one in our timeline (which track from Atomic Bomb represents Pride? Which one is A Sort of Homecoming?), and just fill in setlists like that, which produces intriguing results. But... you can also play a little deeper in this world. Their 1993 album didn't really spawn a hit in our timeline, but in this timeline that album was Achtung Baby - and I have a hard time believing none of those songs ever became a hit. In this timeline was their 2009 album generally viewed as a weak by the band, fans, and critics like NLOTH - or was War 'a return to form'?

Anyway, I hope Bloodraven doesn't mind me dredging this topic of his up but it's been a favourite of mine and I'd like to revisit it with the new album. Maybe some of the rest of you want to join in too!
  5. I wondered if someone would resurrect this now that we have a new album haha.

Well, here we go:

2017-05-14 Seattle, WA - ATYCLB 30th Anniversary Tour
    Setlist:

01 No Line on the Horizon (SBS)
    - The band opens with the first track from their 1983 album, No Line on the Horizon. The tracks a rocker and gets the crowd excited for things to come.

02 Magnificent (NYD)
    - Next up is another song from No Line, Magnificent. An early hit of the bands and still considered to be among their best.

03 Miracle Drug / America (S&G) (snippet) (ASoH)
    - The next track takes the audience by surprise - it's Miracle Drug! A fan-favorite that has only been played sparingly since the original Elevation your back in 1987. Some fans are put off, however, as the song is played in a very different style.

04 City of Blinding Lights / America (S&G) (snippet) (Bad)
    - A true warhorse, City of Blinding Lights continues the powerful tirade of classics.

05 Vertigo (Pride)
    - The third song from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb tonight. This was one of their earlier hits and has remained a staple in setlists for decades. Some argue the song is tired, but it certainly gets the crowd moving. As the song ends, the opening chimes of Beautiful Day fill the room, and then All That You Can't Leave Behind is played in full for the second time ever.

06 Beautiful Day / Scarlet (snippet)
    07 Stuck in a Moment That You Can't Get Out Of
    08 Elevation
    09 Walk On / O Superman (snippet)
    10 Kite
    11 In a Little While
    12 Wild Honey
    13 Peace on Earth
    14 When I Look at the World
    15 New York / Wise Blood (snippet) / Eeny Meeny Miny Moe (snippet)
    16 Grace / El Pueblo Vencera (snippet)

encore(s):
    17 Where the Streets Have No Name / Love, Reign O'er Me (snippet) (BAD)
    - The band kicks off the encore with Where the Streets Have No Name. It hasn't missed a single concert since The Joshua Tree was released in 2000. Tonight the song features some dance elements mixed in with it, and the crowd loves every minute of it.

18 In God's Country (Elevation)
    - The band follows it up with perhaps the most rocking track on All That You Can't Leave Behind. Many hardcore fans are tired of the song, but the rest of the crowd is too busy jumping up and down to notice.

19 Dirty Day (UV)
    - Dirty Day, a fan-favorite from 1991's wildly successful Zooropa, is a pleasant surprise for everyone in the room and sets up nicely for Zooropa's biggest hit.

20 Stay (Faraway, So Close) (One)
    - The true anthem on Zooropa, Stay fills the stadium with emotion. Many argue the song is due a rest, but it's still hard not to get emotional during Bono's "ohs" towards the end of the song.

21 Wild Irish Rose / The New Colossus (snippet) (MS)
    - The band then continues with Wild Irish Rose, a song recorded as part of a side-project the band did between Achtung Baby and Rattle and Hum. The song isn't recognized by most fans and seems somewhat out of place in the setlist.

22 Shadows and Tall Trees (TLTTGYA)
    - Yet another surprise this evening: a song from the band's forthcoming album, Boy. A slower but powerful piece, it has fans everywhere excited for the new album.

22 Red Flag Day (IWF)
    - However, the bands not done yet, and they pull out an oldie but a goodie: Red Flag Day. The rocking track gets everyone moving and ends the set on an energetic note.
  6. Originally posted by Faceman2000:I wondered if someone would resurrect this now that we have a new album haha.

Well, here we go:

2017-05-14 Seattle, WA - ATYCLB 30th Anniversary Tour
    Setlist:

01 No Line on the Horizon (SBS)
    - The band opens with the first track from their 1983 album, No Line on the Horizon. The tracks a rocker and gets the crowd excited for things to come.

02 Magnificent (NYD)
    - Next up is another song from No Line, Magnificent. An early hit of the bands and still considered to be among their best.

03 Miracle Drug / America (S&G) (snippet) (ASoH)
    - The next track takes the audience by surprise - it's Miracle Drug! A fan-favorite that has only been played sparingly since the original Elevation your back in 1987. Some fans are put off, however, as the song is played in a very different style.

04 City of Blinding Lights / America (S&G) (snippet) (Bad)
    - A true warhorse, City of Blinding Lights continues the powerful tirade of classics.

05 Vertigo (Pride)
    - The third song from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb tonight. This was one of their earlier hits and has remained a staple in setlists for decades. Some argue the song is tired, but it certainly gets the crowd moving. As the song ends, the opening chimes of Beautiful Day fill the room, and then All That You Can't Leave Behind is played in full for the second time ever.

06 Beautiful Day / Scarlet (snippet)
    07 Stuck in a Moment That You Can't Get Out Of
    08 Elevation
    09 Walk On / O Superman (snippet)
    10 Kite
    11 In a Little While
    12 Wild Honey
    13 Peace on Earth
    14 When I Look at the World
    15 New York / Wise Blood (snippet) / Eeny Meeny Miny Moe (snippet)
    16 Grace / El Pueblo Vencera (snippet)

encore(s):
    17 Where the Streets Have No Name / Love, Reign O'er Me (snippet) (BAD)
    - The band kicks off the encore with Where the Streets Have No Name. It hasn't missed a single concert since The Joshua Tree was released in 2000. Tonight the song features some dance elements mixed in with it, and the crowd loves every minute of it.

18 In God's Country (Elevation)
    - The band follows it up with perhaps the most rocking track on All That You Can't Leave Behind. Many hardcore fans are tired of the song, but the rest of the crowd is too busy jumping up and down to notice.

19 Dirty Day (UV)
    - Dirty Day, a fan-favorite from 1991's wildly successful Zooropa, is a pleasant surprise for everyone in the room and sets up nicely for Zooropa's biggest hit.

20 Stay (Faraway, So Close) (One)
    - The true anthem on Zooropa, Stay fills the stadium with emotion. Many argue the song is due a rest, but it's still hard not to get emotional during Bono's "ohs" towards the end of the song.

21 Wild Irish Rose / The New Colossus (snippet) (MS)
    - The band then continues with Wild Irish Rose, a song recorded as part of a side-project the band did between Achtung Baby and Rattle and Hum. The song isn't recognized by most fans and seems somewhat out of place in the setlist.

22 Shadows and Tall Trees (TLTTGYA)
    - Yet another surprise this evening: a song from the band's forthcoming album, Boy. A slower but powerful piece, it has fans everywhere excited for the new album.

22 Red Flag Day (IWF)
    - However, the bands not done yet, and they pull out an oldie but a goodie: Red Flag Day. The rocking track gets everyone moving and ends the set on an energetic note.
    Now that's a pretty crackin' show!... except the part where they played Grace... In a stadium, no less!
  7. Yeah, but maybe the "El Pueblo Vencera" snippet would save it.
  8. U2360 Tour
    2009-08-20 - Sheffield, England

U2 are on their biggest tour ever in support of their new album, War. War has drawn mixed reviews, mainly for being less atmospheric and sonically-sophisticated compared to their highly-successful preceding albums The Joshua Tree and The Unforgettable Fire. Additionally, the band -- long praised as masters of championing political and social justice-related themes through an emotional, subtle lens, and focusing on personal faith and strength in uncertain times -- come under fire for the overtly political nature of the new album. That, along with the extravagant nature of the tour staging, has led some critics to label U2360 as a 'propaganda tour' or a 'political rally.'

Setlist:
    01 Surrender
    02 Like a Song…
    03 Two Hearts Beat As One
    04 New Year’s Day
    05 Where the Streets Have No Name
    06 Bullet the Blue Sky
    07 Stuck In a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
    08 With or Without You
    09 Seconds
    10 City of Blinding Lights
    11 A Sort of Homecoming
    12 Pride
    13 Sunday Bloody Sunday
    14 Breathe
    15 Vertigo
    16 Yahweh
    17 I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
    18 Beautiful Day/Cedarwood Road [snippet]
    19 One
    20 Mysterious Ways
    21 Lemon
    22 Kite
    23 “40”

Spoiler (click to toggle)
    So, instead of replacing One and Mysterious Ways with Stay and Babyface, I reckoned in this world, following the release of Achtung Baby, One rather than Stay became the bigger hit and it remains in setlists where it appears; the same goes for successful single Mysterious Ways, which replaced Babyface following the release of Achtung Baby.
  9. Great! I had forget about this one...
    The one thing I don't like, is that I get in a totally immersive mode to try to "feel" this alternate universe and that's fucking exhausting

---

Wild Irish Rose? wow...
    I would've gone with Night And Day, but interesting choice

Also, Faceman, I totally love the whole explanation of each track
  10. 360 Tour (10-25-09)

Setlist:
    01 Surrender
    02 Two Hearts Beat As One
    03 New Year's Day
    04 Mysterious Ways
    05 Where The Streets Have No Name
    06 Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
    07 With or Without You
    08 Like A Song
    09 Bullet The Blue Sky
    10 Red Hill Mining Town
    11 Seconds
    12 City of Blinding Lights
    13 A Sort of Homecoming
    14 Pride
    15 Sunday Bloody Sunday
    16 Breathe
    17 Yahweh
    18 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

19 One
    20 Beautiful Day
    21 Dirty Day
    22 Kite
    23 40
  11. I&E Tour (5-15-15)

Setlist:
    01 Gloria
    02 Pride (In The Name of Love)
    03 I Threw A Brick Through A Window
    04 You're The Best Thing About Me
    05 Tomorrow
    06 Rejoice
    07 I Fall Down
    08 Breathe
    09 With A Shout
    10 Babyface
    (intermission)
    11 A Celebration
    12 Some Days Are Better Than Others
    13 Numb
    14 Discotheque
    15 In A Lifetime
    16 October
    17 Elevation
    18 Vertigo
    19 Where The Streets Have No Name
    20 Walk On

Encore:
    21 A Sort of Homecoming
    22 City of Blinding Lights
    23 Beautiful Day
    24 Stay (Faraway So Close)
  12. Originally posted by Bloodraven:Wild Irish Rose? wow...
    I would've gone with Night And Day, but interesting choice

Also, Faceman, I totally love the whole explanation of each track
    Dang it, Night and Day would've been a good one! Wild Irish Rose was the only non-album track I could think of at the time.

And the explanations are fun - I appreciated the commentary others put in their setlists earlier. Makes it a lot easier for me to imagine the concert in my head, which is half the fun in my opinion.