Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. There's an obvious difference of opinion here and I'm not the guy who sits around all day telling people "they're wrong," so I'm certainly not going to do that to you (especially because we've never really met - I'm Matt!)

I would argue with your last sentence though - I think "mis-selling" is exactly what they'd be doing. Nobody goes on tours that reference "full albums" and doesn't play the album in full. Aside from that Garbage show I've been referencing, I've never seen that done. Album shows are exactly what they sound like....the full album in sequence. It may not be stated, but its implied. Not saying "in sequence" in the marketing may be an insurance policy for when they decide not to do it, but that won't make it less deceptive.
  2. Originally posted by patssox95:just had a thought - i also would love to hear the album in order begining to end. i am ecstatic at the thought of getting streets to open the show, though would understand if they decide not to. So i am wondering how everyone feels about first batch in order to open the show, up to running to stand still. then a jaunt through what ever else they want to play in the middle of the show as long as it includes Bad. then begin the encore with the rest of JT in order, from Red Hill to mothers...and of course finish with 40?
    nope.
  3. Originally posted by MattG:There's an obvious difference of opinion here and I'm not the guy who sits around all day telling people "they're wrong," so I'm certainly not going to do that to you (especially because we've never really met - I'm Matt!)

I would argue with your last sentence though - I think "mis-selling" is exactly what they'd be doing. Nobody goes on tours that reference "full albums" and doesn't play the album in full. Aside from that Garbage show I've been referencing, I've never seen that done. Album shows are exactly what they sound like....the full album in sequence. It may not be stated, but its implied. Not saying "in sequence" in the marketing may be an insurance policy for when they decide not to do it, but that won't make it less deceptive.
    In fairness I think the album possibly means a lot more to you, in that I mean the whole album as a package and as we mentioned the experience you go through listening to it. That's not to say I'm not a massive fan of it but for me it stops with the quality of the music and I could play the album on shuffle and be quite happy. Same with achtung baby which is my favourite u2 album. But even though we're disagreeing I do respect what it means to you and your interpretation as well. I hope for yourself and all the people who agree with you they do play it in order and then we'll all be more than happy.
  4. OK, so I'm a believer that a band will hold by their word. And their word as I understand it is JT from front to back, in order.

I do remember Larry's comment after Glastonbury about the setlist, which went something like "Well, if we play Streets first, where do you go from there?"

All that considered, I'm wondering what the other 10-15 songs they play will be. And where. Nothing before JT? Some stuff around JT? (Rattle and Hum - am I the only person who wants to hear God Part II, Love Rescue Me?).

And all of the above considered, do I go spoiler free? I managed it on the SOI tour. Loved it! What now?
  5. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I don't think a book is a fair example because you can listen to the Joshua tree out of sequence and realise the ideas behind it and enjoy the music but a book out of sequence wouldn't work. The branding of the tour in its literal meaning 'playing the album in full' only states that they will play all the songs it does not mention the running order whatsoever, I know the running order and the album mean a lot to people but to play the album out of sequence would not be mis-selling anyone.

I feel like an album would be more like a poetry book? You can take With Or Without you for example and have a meaning but then it means something else on the album?
  6. First set should be able start to finish. Second set, all Boy - UF. And this, if done properly, can easily be done without making part 2 of the show a greatest hits extravaganza, which might make Larry consider quitting, the thought of a retro/legacy show AND greatest hits tour. Please no.
  7. This should be a fun forum for the next 3-4 months
  8. We're all acting like adults so far lol. As long as it doesn't turn into the political thread we'll be safe.
  9. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:First set should be able start to finish. Second set, all Boy - UF. And this, if done properly, can easily be done without making part 2 of the show a greatest hits extravaganza, which might make Larry consider quitting, the thought of a retro/legacy show AND greatest hits tour. Please no.
    I hope if they do play a lot of boy- uf that's it's songs like a sort of homecoming, wire, twilight, even two hearts beat as one which didn't get much of a chance on the I&E tour.
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    In fairness I think the album possibly means a lot more to you, in that I mean the whole album as a package and as we mentioned the experience you go through listening to it. That's not to say I'm not a massive fan of it but for me it stops with the quality of the music and I could play the album on shuffle and be quite happy. Same with achtung baby which is my favourite u2 album. But even though we're disagreeing I do respect what it means to you and your interpretation as well. I hope for yourself and all the people who agree with you they do play it in order and then we'll all be more than happy.
    Hey, it's not often you engage in a disagreement with someone on the internet and both parties can keep it so civil. I totally respect your viewpoint too.

I have a connection with the albums because they're what I listened to before I discovered them live, and what I listen to in between tours. They are pieces of art, grouping of songs that define the band, curated BY the band, and put in an order determined "the best" by someone (them, Steve Lillywhite's wife, whoever)

It's just fun to have those worlds collide in the live setting, which I think is what makes "album shows" so successful and popular recently, and hype that U2 should be capitalizing on
  11. Set 2 - they almost have to throw in IWF, SBS, NYD, Bad and Pride... but... mix in 11 O'Clock, Gloria, ADWM, ITABTAW, Surrender, THBAO, TUF, ASOH and 40, and voila. The perfect set that doesnt submit itself to GH label.