Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Legs (3): Leg 1 - North America, Leg 2 - Europe, Leg 3 - The Americas
Shows: 54
  1. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:Set 2 - they almost have to throw in IWF, SBS, NYD, Bad and Pride... but... mix in 11 O'Clock, Gloria, ADWM, ITABTAW, Surrender, THBAO, TUF, ASOH and 40, and voila. The perfect set that doesnt submit itself to GH label.
    I like the sound of that list, if they even play half of those then it will be a good selection to bring to the set.
  2. Originally posted by MattG:There's an obvious difference of opinion here and I'm not the guy who sits around all day telling people "they're wrong," so I'm certainly not going to do that to you (especially because we've never really met - I'm Matt!)

I would argue with your last sentence though - I think "mis-selling" is exactly what they'd be doing. Nobody goes on tours that reference "full albums" and doesn't play the album in full. Aside from that Garbage show I've been referencing, I've never seen that done. Album shows are exactly what they sound like....the full album in sequence. It may not be stated, but its implied. Not saying "in sequence" in the marketing may be an insurance policy for when they decide not to do it, but that won't make it less deceptive.

agreed. and btw, "live in full" and "in sequence" read the same to me!
  3. If they play every song, I'd be happy. Doesn't have to be in order.
  4. must admit, I won't be too picky about it either as long as they play every JT song once during a show.
  5. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:Set 2 - they almost have to throw in IWF, SBS, NYD, Bad and Pride... but... mix in 11 O'Clock, Gloria, ADWM, ITABTAW, Surrender, THBAO, TUF, ASOH and 40, and voila. The perfect set that doesnt submit itself to GH label.

All of the acronyms are messing with my head. I'm getting confused with song titles from other favorite bands! Please decipher them for me.
  6. Originally posted by ymalkiel:[..]

All of the acronyms are messing with my head. I'm getting confused with song titles from other favorite bands! Please decipher them for me.
    IWF = I Will Follow
    SBS = Sunday Bloody Sunday
    NYD = New Year's Day
    ADWM = A Day Without Me
    ITABTAW = I Threw A Brick Through A Window
    THBAO = Two Hearts Beat As One
    TUF = The Unforgettable Fire
    ASOH = A Sort Of Homecoming

Hope that helps!
  7. Originally posted by MattG:...If they play the 11 songs of the album all together, but not actually in order, I'll probably have a seat during the show.

(the band) Garbage did this a few years ago. Decide they're touring for the anniversary of their self-titled debut, then announce they're playing the album in full....then they sprinkle the songs throughout the setlist, out of order. So they didn't really play S/T "in full"....they played the songs from it throughout the course of a normal set.

If U2 wants to do that, and just call it a "celebration of the era" or whatever, then fine. It'll still suck for them to go back on their word of playing the album in full (which, by the way, means in order. If they close with WOWY, not a single person can walk out saying they saw The Joshua Tree performed. The songs, maybe. But not the album).

But I swear to god, if there's an eleven song set in the middle of the show and it's The Joshua Tree out of order, I'll take my seat and just laugh along with them, all the way to the bank.

There's something special about actually hearing a record performed in full, whether you're blowing your load on a song like Streets or WOWY early or what. You think people are gonna walk out once they hear Streets? Give me a fucking break, U2. This tour can only be one of two things - an honest celebration of THAT RECORD, and the unedited performance of it in full....or it can be a greatest hits tour. A cash grab, a stopgap so people don't get too pissed off when they learn that they're scrapping their album for another 3 or 4 years.

YES. I loved that Garbage show when I saw them in Edinburgh, it really got me onto the debut album, but it would have been extra special if the album was performed in sequence. I mean, imagine them coming on stage in darkness and just blasting out Supervixen.

Everything else is spot on, I have nothing to add.
  8. U2 - In God's Country - New live version from Joshua Tree album
  9. Sorry. I woulda got tired of typing spelling all those out!

Thanks Welsh Edge!
  10. Originally posted by Welsh_Edge:[..]
    IWF = I Will Follow
    SBS = Sunday Bloody Sunday
    NYD = New Year's Day
    ADWM = A Day Without Me
    ITABTAW = I Threw A Brick Through A Window
    THBAO = Two Hearts Beat As One
    TUF = The Unforgettable Fire
    ASOH = A Sort Of Homecoming

Hope that helps!
    Thank you! It doesn't help that I'm dyslexic...