1. james bond style
  2. Don't get too ahead of yourself.
  3. Good point. Austin Powers?
  4. If you're just starting, then it's more like Mr. Magoo.

Go do 30-40 shows first and see how you've done.
  5. Spoiler (click to toggle)
    If you're just starting, then it's more like Mr. Magoo.

You tend to be right - but then if you go ahead it's becoming like Dr. Strange.

I would suggest a more suitable type of scanner for the intended purpose..
  6. Suitable? Care to elaborate? Just because of mono?
  7. Did I mention the mono "issue"? There is a correlation between antenna and the proposed frequency range - and that finishes it all.

Go just ahead as hoserama stipulated before and you will probably find out if it's your "thing" (or not). Good luck!
  8. I realized that may have come off wrong. I wasn't doubting you. Sorry if that's how I came across. You said a more suitable type of scanner. I assumed you were talking about the icom which I would be fine with changing that up as well

I mentioned the rs 800 just because people really seem to like that as a good wide band antenna. They called it an 800 antenna at the time I believe due to hammers scanning the 800 cell ranges, etc. From what I'm hearing it does a good job in the 400-600 ranges as well. I haven't tried it yet.

I have tried various widebands over the years between diamonds and a few telescoping antennas. I am curious about both wide band and narrow as I've had a couple shows where they were using those damn 900 ulx or d's. Obviously, mid uhf is still where it's at

I like the idea of the ra whips basically being field tunable to specific freqs but am wondering if they're strong enough?

I'm in the rat hole of narrowing in on freq. dipoles, omni vs directional, using an amp.... Wondering if I'm trying to hard ...or headed in the right direction. Maybe bring a wide band to find a freq and then swap to a tunable antenna or even equilivant body pack antenna for a little more clarity and strength? Multiple scanners for multi tracking? Mobile setups outside venues?

Haha. I'm all over the place. Anyways, I was just curious as to what peoples "goto" antennas are and go from there.

I didn't mean to come across as questioning your reply. All responses are much appreciated. Still a noob for sure.

Sorry for the long drawn out post
  9. Watson 889
  10. Thanks. I have one on it's way. The Watson def sounds like a lot of people's favorite and good for stealth. I had an 881 back in the day but if I remember right it was 12 or 16". Pita.