1. With the release of both No Line on The Horizon and Songs of Innocence. The general thought on these albums is lukewarm at best, which is unfortunate. However adding to the weak sales that both albums had (excluding the apple figures for SOI) I'm interested to hear peoples thoughts for their upcoming record next year "Songs of Experience"

With Bono stating a few years ago that he doesn't know if U2 can stay relevant anymore, Are U2 at a Make or break crossroad?

With the likes of Coldplay selling out World Tours etc, If U2 want to continue their career and regain number one status, which appears to be their priority, How important is the the pending sales and reception of "Songs of Experience" ?

In all honesty I have loved both NLOTH and SOI but they have not had one hit single on both records and this is a MAJOR overlooked factor in their career. If Songs of Experience turns into another NLOTH, or SOI reception wise.... Could U2 slowly call it a day? Just to reiterate, they have nothing to prove with the incredible career they have had. I just want them to return to the top again.

I think this is a good and important talking point right now
  2. No. I don't mean to belittle your post with that answer, but no, I don't think SOE is or will be a crossroads. Why? Because U2 fans are U2 fans and they always will be. There are so many of them, they'll always sell out arenas or get close to it. If SoE is a bomb, it might have a small effect on them, but nothing major. But U2 won't put out something terrible, they'll put something out that's at least "good".

See, the whole thing about the "quest for relevance" is that it's really too late. Sure U2 get written about, talked about, etc., but they haven't been part of the zeitgeist for quite some time now. They quietly turned into one of those older, classic rock acts that people go see because they're known to put on a great show. They'll always have crowds coming to see them. Coldplay is turning into the same thing, albeit WAY earlier in their career. It's for the same reason, people know they put on a great show even if whatever the album they're touring for is seriously God awful (thankfully U2 have never gone as far as Coldplay's new album). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't matter anymore, I'm saying they've secured a spot just below "living legend" status (too many people hate Bono to be up there with The Beatles, The Who, etc., and they're still putting out new stuff) and they'll be there forever. A new U2 album is kind of like a new James Bond movie. You can tell they're struggling to say modern and interesting and sometimes it totally works, and everyone will always want to check out the "next one", but still. It ain't no Fast and the Furious or Marvel movie - and I mean that in the sense of what EVERYONE is talking about and what EVERYONE wants to see, not in terms of quality.

The only way SoE can be a crossroads is in a positive way, meaning that if it's truly something great and transcendent, it could push U2 back into the stratosphere. What are the chances of that happening? Not high. It really doesn't matter much what their music is, because they have two huge things in their way of being "cool" again. Their age, and their back catalogue of classics that they'll never top.

SoE could very well be their last album, whether it's great or not. I don't think it's any more of a crossroads than their last two albums have been. U2 have been "slowly calling it a day" for a little while now, even if they themselves don't realize it. They don't have anything to prove anymore, they've done it all. They've gotten to #1, reinvented themselves and still got to #1, experimented too far for the casual audience and STILL came back to #1 (in their late 30s/40s), did it AGAIN with their next album, and now they're coasting. They'll never do another Pop to lose fans, and they'll never be able to do another Joshua Tree to garner tons of new fans.
  3. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:No. I don't mean to belittle your post with that answer, but no, I don't think SOE is or will be a crossroads. Why? Because U2 fans are U2 fans and they always will be. There are so many of them, they'll always sell out arenas or get close to it. If SoE is a bomb, it might have a small effect on them, but nothing major. But U2 won't put out something terrible, they'll put something out that's at least "good".

See, the whole thing about the "quest for relevance" is that it's really too late. Sure U2 get written about, talked about, etc., but they haven't been part of the zeitgeist for quite some time now. They quietly turned into one of those older, classic rock acts that people go see because they're known to put on a great show. They'll always have crowds coming to see them. Coldplay is turning into the same thing, albeit WAY earlier in their career. It's for the same reason, people know they put on a great show even if whatever the album they're touring for is seriously God awful (thankfully U2 have never gone as far as Coldplay's new album). Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't matter anymore, I'm saying they've secured a spot just below "living legend" status (too many people hate Bono to be up there with The Beatles, The Who, etc., and they're still putting out new stuff) and they'll be there forever. A new U2 album is kind of like a new James Bond movie. You can tell they're struggling to say modern and interesting and sometimes it totally works, and everyone will always want to check out the "next one", but still. It ain't no Fast and the Furious or Marvel movie - and I mean that in the sense of what EVERYONE is talking about and what EVERYONE wants to see, not in terms of quality.

The only way SoE can be a crossroads is in a positive way, meaning that if it's truly something great and transcendent, it could push U2 back into the stratosphere. What are the chances of that happening? Not high. It really doesn't matter much what their music is, because they have two huge things in their way of being "cool" again. Their age, and their back catalogue of classics that they'll never top.

SoE could very well be their last album, whether it's great or not. I don't think it's any more of a crossroads than their last two albums have been. U2 have been "slowly calling it a day" for a little while now, even if they themselves don't realize it. They don't have anything to prove anymore, they've done it all. They've gotten to #1, reinvented themselves and still got to #1, experimented too far for the casual audience and STILL came back to #1 (in their late 30s/40s), did it AGAIN with their next album, and now they're coasting. They'll never do another Pop to lose fans, and they'll never be able to do another Joshua Tree to garner tons of new fans.
    Agree. And to add to this, (hopefully without too much ramble and intersecting trains of thought - hey, that almost sounds like framework for a new album! ), I'd have to say it depends on what your definition of relevant is. Might be different than mine, and I'm not quite sure if Bono is sure of it's meaning to him! The records are relevant to the band (which is why they are so meticulous and time consuming) and to their fans, which is why, as you say, they'll never put out something terrible.

And yes, they have turned into one of those older, classic rock acts, The difference is, they haven't surrendered to the formula most of them have. They don't keep regurgitating the same tunes with new lyrics and calling it a new album, and they haven't resigned themselves to the "Hits for Cash Twelfth Farewell This Time We Really Mean It" tours... yet (and hopefully they won't) This can also be considered relevant, in a classic rock formula.

And they've already sped through so many crossroads and reboots there is nothing to break, only to make.

Music is so disposable nowadays that, to me, Bono gets lost in the quest for relevance these days. Everything is different now. What's #1 this Tuesday is all but forgotten next release Tuesday.
  4. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    Agree. And to add to this, (hopefully without too much ramble and intersecting trains of thought - hey, that almost sounds like framework for a new album! ), I'd have to say it depends on what your definition of relevant is. Might be different than mine, and I'm not quite sure if Bono is sure of it's meaning to him! The records are relevant to the band (which is why they are so meticulous and time consuming) and to their fans, which is why, as you say, they'll never put out something terrible.

And yes, they have turned into one of those older, classic rock acts, The difference is, they haven't surrendered to the formula most of them have. They don't keep regurgitating the same tunes with new lyrics and calling it a new album, and they haven't resigned themselves to the "Hits for Cash Twelfth Farewell This Time We Really Mean It" tours... yet (and hopefully they won't) This can also be considered relevant, in a classic rock formula.

And they've already sped through so many crossroads and reboots there is nothing to break, only to make.

Music is so disposable nowadays that, to me, Bono gets lost in the quest for relevance these days. Everything is different now. What's #1 this Tuesday is all but forgotten next release Tuesday.
    Well said on all fronts.
  5. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]

Yeah, they have always tried to push the boundaries and made a point to not make the same album every time, Pearl Jam are a band that springs to mind regarding that.

I know U2's legacy is solidified but it's just a shame that they haven't had a hit is a long time now, Vertigo was their last one wasn't it?

Maybe the band is not focusing on chart topping hit singles, but it'd be good to see some new material that has been successful worldwide make it into their sets permanently.

In short, where is the next Vertigo? Where is the next Beautiful Day?
  6. Originally posted by georgemccauley:[..]
    Yeah, they have always tried to push the boundaries and made a point to not make the same album every time, Pearl Jam are a band that springs to mind regarding that.

I know U2's legacy is solidified but it's just a shame that they haven't had a hit is a long time now, Vertigo was their last one wasn't it?

Maybe the band is not focusing on chart topping hit singles, but it'd be good to see some new material that has been successful worldwide make it into their sets permanently.

In short, where is the next Vertigo? Where is the next Beautiful Day?
    I'd be willing to bet all my money that they genuinely hoped/thought Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Crazy Tonight - The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave and Song for Someone would all be hits as big as Vertigo and Beautiful Day. Maybe in the back of their heads they knew, but I think that's partly why they take so long in making a record. Not only do they want them to be perfect, they want to try and recreate those hits.
  7. I don't think having a hit single is the priority anymore. I'm sure they're still hoping but more importantly if they could bring out an album that was received very well by critics and fans that would be huge success. If you look into it soi and nloth had very mixed reviews. That said I'd take an album on a par with soi right now.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:I don't think having a hit single is the priority anymore. I'm sure they're still hoping but more importantly if they could bring out an album that was received very well by critics and fans that would be huge success. If you look into it soi and nloth had very mixed reviews. That said I'd take an album on a par with soi right now.
    You're right.

Music is so disposable nowadays... Everything is different now. What's #1 this Tuesday is all but forgotten next release Tuesday.

Same with the "hit" single. Everything is current for the week of release nowadays and then replaced with the next batch of releases next week...
  9. Originally posted by deanallison:I don't think having a hit single is the priority anymore. I'm sure they're still hoping but more importantly if they could bring out an album that was received very well by critics and fans that would be huge success. If you look into it soi and nloth had very mixed reviews. That said I'd take an album on a par with soi right now.
    Pretty sure they are going for a hit single. Just by whst they and others have said about the new songs. They have one more for sure album in the can.
  10. I think people are taking this way out of proportion here. Based on some of these threads, it seems like people think U2 is grasping their dying breath and their entire existence depends on this next album. If you want to talk about albums that were make or break moments for U2, look at Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind. We live in an era where album sales are not really a great metric of success anymore. At this point it's a fair assumption to make that most people aren't even purchasing music when they can just stream it on Spotify or YouTube.

If you look at how U2 have felt about SOI, it's clear that U2 saw it as a success. They've spent a lot of time talking about SOI as part of a multi-album project and it seems like they are well on their way to making that happen. Also, what does it even mean for U2 to be at a "crossroads" at this point? It's not like the next album is going to somehow erase the rich 40 year history U2 has accumulated up to this point.
  11. Originally posted by ahn1991:I think people are taking this way out of proportion here. Based on some of these threads, it seems like people think U2 is grasping their dying breath and their entire existence depends on this next album. If you want to talk about albums that were make or break moments for U2, look at Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind. We live in an era where album sales are not really a great metric of success anymore. At this point it's a fair assumption to make that most people aren't even purchasing music when they can just stream it on Spotify or YouTube.

If you look at how U2 have felt about SOI, it's clear that U2 saw it as a success. They've spent a lot of time talking about SOI as part of a multi-album project and it seems like they are well on their way to making that happen. Also, what does it even mean for U2 to be at a "crossroads" at this point? It's not like the next album is going to somehow erase the rich 40 year history U2 has accumulated up to this point.
    Yup.
  12. Originally posted by ahn1991:I think people are taking this way out of proportion here. Based on some of these threads, it seems like people think U2 is grasping their dying breath and their entire existence depends on this next album. If you want to talk about albums that were make or break moments for U2, look at Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind. We live in an era where album sales are not really a great metric of success anymore. At this point it's a fair assumption to make that most people aren't even purchasing music when they can just stream it on Spotify or YouTube.

Fully agree, and nicely put!