1. I listened to SoI for the first time in over a year the other day, to my surprise it has aged well for me.
  2. I listened to it for the first time in a while earlier today. It always sounds so great to me, especially after a little break.
  3. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    I listened to it for the first time in a while earlier today. It always sounds so great to me, especially after a little break.
    Agreed. Feels fresh when it gets a break but I still feel like its way to overproduced. Hoping this next album is a little more raw
  4. I'm sort of approaching SOE with the thought that 'hey, in all odds, this will probably be around #10 or #11 of all U2 albums for me.' Not because I think it'll be bad, or even mediocre - just because I really, REALLY like my top 7 or 8 albums, and it'd be damn hard to make a better record than those are to me. So that approach just lets me tingle with excitement for SOE, rather than be worried that I am somehow obligated to think their new stuff is the best and 'oh my God, what if it isn't in my top 5???' and then be disappointed if it's NOT as good. In all likelihood, for ME personally, this album probably won't hold a candle to SOI, simply because of how special SOI is to me. I don't expect to like SOE more than Pop or AB, or Bomb or Boy, because those are magnificent records. The fact that U2 has several albums I like more than Boy, for example, is pretty astounding, because Boy is a great album.

Now, I'm just looking forward to Songs of Experience on its own merits. To just hear it, and not to see how it slots into the rest of their body of work, other than maybe how it continues/contrasts with the themes on SOI. It's a lot more fun for me like this, a more relaxed view... I can look forward to SOE just because I want to hear it, not because I feel U2 need to prove anything by it.
  5. I'm thinking the band are in for a favorable reaction from the general public with this one perhaps not to the height of ATYCLB or HTDAAB but it seems to be getting some buzz.

I mentioned seeing mentions of both videos for Black Out and Best Thing on entertainment news round ups, my friend who is 23 and works in a pretty trendy sports store said he hears Best Thing a lot on the store's playlist as well as on Spotify playlists.

Another friend who is more than a casual fan but not a mega fan like me loves Best Thing, says he hears it on the radio quite often and is really pumped for the album.

Then you have my parents who have been fans since the 80s and who liked Best Thing from the beginning. Still waiting to hear their thoughts on the songs released yesterday.
  6. Originally posted by kris_smith87:I'm thinking the band are in for a favorable reaction from the general public with this one perhaps not to the height of ATYCLB or HTDAAB but it seems to be getting some buzz.

I mentioned seeing mentions of both videos for Black Out and Best Thing on entertainment news round ups, my friend who is 23 and works in a pretty trendy sports store said he hears Best Thing a lot on the store's playlist as well as on Spotify playlists.

Another friend who is more than a casual fan but not a mega fan like me loves Best Thing, says he hears it on the radio quite often and is really pumped for the album.

Then you have my parents who have been fans since the 80s and who liked Best Thing from the beginning. Still waiting to hear their thoughts on the songs released yesterday.
    It's kinda sad that for me the favorable reaction from the general public just isn't the kind of music I like (anymore). I feel that's what a lot of people on this site are having trouble with. I understand that's hard for U2, I mean do you wanna be relevant or make good and deep music (a very black-white statement but you know what I mean)
  7. I used to listen to it a lot, haven't done so as often of late, will put it on the turntable later on.
  8. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]
    It's kinda sad that for me the favorable reaction from the general public just isn't the kind of music I like (anymore). I feel that's what a lot of people on this site are having trouble with. I understand that's hard for U2, I mean do you wanna be relevant or make good and deep music (a very black-white statement but you know what I mean)
    I think every lead single since AB has been one of the weakest songs on the record. But they are "general public" type songs. I'm going to keep my thoughts to myself until I hear the complete record all the way through...

Anyone who holds music in high regard would know you can't judge the meal by the appetizer.
  9. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    I think every lead single since AB has been one of the weakest songs on the record. But they are "general public" type songs. I'm going to keep my thoughts to myself until I hear the complete record all the way through...

Anyone who holds music in high regard would know you can't judge the meal by the appetizer.
    No doubt, and I'm certainly still anticipating the rest of the album. But are my hopes high? Not really.
  10. EXPERIENCE = never get your hopes too high!

11. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]

That was what I was hoping and thinking after The Blackout, a bit after Best Thing but after hearing 5 songs of the new album (Counting Little Things) I'm afraid this isn't just an artistic choice to make those songs singles because they are radiofriendly.