1. I was at the launch of the POP album press conference in February 1997 at the K-Mart department store in New York. I was living and working in New York during this period. A friend of mine was involved in the filming and got me inside to see press conference. The band performed a great rendition of "Holy Joe". Just thought I would share some memories.
  2. yes
    i've got the promotional VHS video of this popmart "launch"
  3. Holy Joe ? Awesome !!! Now that's a good song for the next set list !
    It was so funny to see them in a K Mart, too cool !!
    I've only seen some footage of it on Mtv.
  4. Great live version of Holy Joe!
  5. "Attention Popmart shoppers!"

6. Originally posted by daymo1202:I was at the launch of the POP album press conference in February 1997 at the K-Mart department store in New York. I was living and working in New York during this period. A friend of mine was involved in the filming and got me inside to see press conference. The band performed a great rendition of "Holy Joe". Just thought I would share some memories.
    Thanks for ehm, sharing Nice to have you here, welcome to the site.

7. Great video posted above, surprisingly the acoustics were pretty good for such a location as K-Mart. "Attention POP Mart Shoppers" who could forget those words voiced by Bono!
  8. Come on, come on, be good to me
  9. Man does watching this promotional video makes me wish I would have become a fan at 10 years old.

My favorite exchange between a reporter and the band: a guy from CNN asks: "You don't mean to suggest your music is flimsily constructed from cheap materials, is discountable, and ultimately disposable, do you?"

After a lot of boos from the audience...

Bono: "I agree with everything you say apart from discountable."

Edge: "We believe in trash, we believe in kitsch, and that's what we are up to at the moment."

10. The K-Mart where they performed closed yesterday.
  11. For as much as I love the Pop album and the Pop-Mart tour that press conference was just a brutally cringe-worthy moment for U2. Watching it at the time I just wondered WTH the band were thinking. Weird stuff.
  12. Pop was commercial suicide for the band in the US 🇺🇸 its still baffling as to why the Americans didn't get it as it has probably the strongest collection of songs on an album apart from JT and AB ,I'm guessing it was a variety of reasons the title put people off ,the video for Discoteque which Edge mentions in the U2 book , or more likely that they incorporated alternative rock, techno, dance, and electronica influences into their sound which for some traditionalists was a step too far.