1. Who's gonna ride your wild horses?

Here's that quagga. They're such beautiful animals, I should practice more so I can do them proper justice.

Quagga

Equus quagga quagga, subspecies of plains zebra that went extinct in the late 19th century. Instead of being black-and-white striped all over, they had black-and-white (or dark brown-and-sandy) stripes on their forequarters with a brownish back end, often with faint brown stripes, and white legs and tail. It's possible this unique appearance can be fully recreated by selectively breeding Burchell's zebras E. q. burchelli.
  2. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Who's gonna ride your wild horses?

Here's that quagga. They're such beautiful animals, I should practice more so I can do them proper justice.

[image]

Quagga

Equus quagga quagga, subspecies of plains zebra that went extinct in the late 19th century. Instead of being black-and-white striped all over, they had black-and-white (or dark brown-and-sandy) stripes on their forequarters with a brownish back end, often with faint brown stripes, and white legs and tail. It's possible this unique appearance can be fully recreated by selectively breeding Burchell's zebras E. q. burchelli.
    Terrific!

What do you think about quaggaproject in South Africa to bring back quaggas?
  3. I say, go for it! I'm all for trying to recreate extinct animals. Even if they can't literally recreate quaggas (which they probably can't) they can get darn close, with animals that are amazing in their own right and will do what quaggas did to keep the environment running smoothly.
  4. Quite a bump here but things seem rather still on the U2 front, and I am finally starting to get the hang of my tablet, so I thought I'd share these digital drawings:

A fast-running herbivorous dinosaur, Dryosaurus altus, that lived in Western North America about 150 million years ago, and grew about 3-3.5 metres long.

One of the best Dryosaurus specimens in the world is on display at Amherst College's natural history museum, where I work! I'm currently in the early stages of 'testing the waters', so to speak, about potentially writing a senior thesis on this neat little animal.
  5. I found this too:

Good luck with your thesis Matthew.
  6. Another Lazarus taxon, nice

Good luck with your thesis Matthew.

Thanks, I'll need it. It doesn't seem like very much has been written about Dryosaurus in the scientific literature, so any new descriptions would probably be a welcome thing.
  7. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Another Lazarus taxon, nice

[..]

Thanks, I'll need it. It doesn't seem like very much has been written about Dryosaurus in the scientific literature, so any new descriptions would probably be a welcome thing.
    I have experience with graduate thesis. One tip I can give you is don't feel pressured, you don't need to revolutionize your field, and choose a topic you really love.
  8. This one is for Matthew:

9. Very good record!