1. In a similar vein, I let (=made) my best friend borrow U218 Singles so he could listen to some of their big hits stuff. So he had got to I Still Haven't Found (which I think is like track 2 on U218 or something?) and mentioned that he really, really liked it. I told him it was from The Joshua Tree in 1987, and he was stunned! He thought it sounded so fresh that he assumed it was only a couple of years old!
  2. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:In a similar vein, I let (=made) my best friend borrow U218 Singles so he could listen to some of their big hits stuff. So he had got to I Still Haven't Found (which I think is like track 2 on U218 or something?) and mentioned that he really, really liked it. I told him it was from The Joshua Tree in 1987, and he was stunned! He thought it sounded so fresh that he assumed it was only a couple of years old!
    Agreed. The production on Still Haven't Found is excellent and very clean, unlike Streets for example which sounds pretty old (and I like it miles better than Still Haven't Found, but credit where credit is due).
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Agreed. The production on Still Haven't Found is excellent and very clean, unlike Streets for example which sounds pretty old (and I like it miles better than Still Haven't Found, but credit where credit is due).
    I always thought Streets sounded like you found an old film reel or videotape, dusted it off, and started playing it alone in a dark room. Which I think suits it very much....

But yeah, not quite as crisply produced as some of the others.
  4. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    I always thought Streets sounded like you found an old film reel or videotape, dusted it off, and started playing it alone in a dark room. Which I think suits it very much....

But yeah, not quite as crisply produced as some of the others.
    Yes. It probably has to do with the exhausting recording process and the many overlays they did to the original tape until it actually wore off. I agree that it suits the song, but I wonder how (even more) great it would be if the production and dynamics were as clean as Still Haven't Found, for example.
  5. Still Haven't Found is so well recorded and well produced, it's one of few U2 songs that to me sounds better on the album than they've ever been able to make it sound in a live context.

There are definitely performances of Still Haven't Found that give me those same feelings (Rotterdam 92 comes to mind), but the album version is just special to me. Could be the context of which I first heard it though. Memories..
  6. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:Still Haven't Found is so well recorded and well produced, it's one of few U2 songs that to me sounds better on the album than they've ever been able to make it sound in a live context.

There are definitely performances of Still Haven't Found that give me those same feelings (Rotterdam 92 comes to mind), but the album version is just special to me. Could be the context of which I first heard it though. Memories..
    I don't have that many (if any) memories attached to it but I agree that they've never topped the studio recording. One of the very few.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I don't have that many (if any) memories attached to it but I agree that they've never topped the studio recording. One of the very few.

Remember when we were going to petition to have U2 release the new years lovetown gig? 30th anniversary coming up in a couple years
  8. You mean 30th...
  9. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:Still Haven't Found is so well recorded and well produced, it's one of few U2 songs that to me sounds better on the album than they've ever been able to make it sound in a live context.

See... I'm the opposite. I got chills every time I see that open a show... I do think it's lost some magic since it's been move to the end of the show...
  10. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    See... I'm the opposite. I got chills every time I see that open a show... I do think it's lost some magic since it's been move to the end of the show...
    Open a show?

Are we talking about two different songs?