2017-05-12 - Vancouver
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 6
Videos: 1
  1. Shit. Still 57 days. Now if I'd made that move to Vancouver....
  2. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:I think it's impossible to even reach a happy medium with the extensive catalog they have... Keeping diehards and casuals both happy is hard enough... but as diehards it might be just as tough. For this tour, the die hard and purist in me wants to be like TJT87. Boy through Joshua Tree. Like it's all that you have. Just as it was then... That would be the ultimate i/e tour - immaculate/experience.

I keep coming back to 'who is this tour really aimed at'. I think more for the diehards than the casuals, so hoping for the rarities rather than Elevation or Vertigo.
    I saw it first time round so looking forward to it all.
  3. Originally posted by dogpole:[..]

I keep coming back to 'who is this tour really aimed at'. I think more for the diehards than the casuals, so hoping for the rarities rather than Elevation or Vertigo.
    I saw it first time round so looking forward to it all.
    I don't know I think this tour is probably more aimed at the casuals than any tour they've ever done. It's a celebration of there highest selling album. If it was a zooropa or pop tour then yeah that would be for the die hard fans only but I don't know about this one. That's not a complaint though, I think ultimately no matter who it's aimed at we'll still get a fair balance in the setlist of 'album tracks' as I like to call them (some of u2's best work), and singles. I'd rather hear zoo station over elevation or the fly instead of vertigo or heartland instead of beautiful day but I can accept that they've got a job to do to entertain everyone.
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I don't know I think this tour is probably more aimed at the casuals than any tour they've ever done. It's a celebration of there highest selling album. If it was a zooropa or pop tour then yeah that would be for the die hard fans only but I don't know about this one. That's not a complaint though, I think ultimately no matter who it's aimed at we'll still get a fair balance in the setlist of 'album tracks' as I like to call them (some of u2's best work), and singles. I'd rather hear zoo station over elevation or the fly instead of vertigo or heartland instead of beautiful day but I can accept that they've got a job to do to entertain everyone.
    Me too, they have to entertain everyone. And i think they always did a decent job. Ask 100 fans, they all would give a different answer for a song that would bring the set list alive. Personaly i would love to hear Heartland. I think even if they play it a little different, fans will be totaly cool with this. Or maybe spotlight on Edge for "Running to stand still"?
    But they can stand on a wooden box and wear PY's: "And i will always love U2"..........
  5. Come to think of it, as long as they don't start dropping JT songs from the setlist as the tour progresses (and they perform NYD - haven't witnessed it in sooooooooo long), I don't care what else they play.

I think.
  6. Originally posted by Soundwall:[..]
    Me too, they have to entertain everyone. And i think they always did a decent job. Ask 100 fans, they all would give a different answer for a song that would bring the set list alive. Personaly i would love to hear Heartland. I think even if they play it a little different, fans will be totaly cool with this. Or maybe spotlight on Edge for "Running to stand still"?
    But they can stand on a wooden box and wear PY's: "And i will always love U2"..........

I've often jokingly said I would buy U2's album if it was just Bono breaking wind all the way through. Thing is though... I probably actually would lol.
  7. Originally posted by Soundwall:[..]
    It'll be like always. Diehards have the GA and hold the floor. Casuals and those there to be seen pay for seats.
  8. It's a show for both, but a show that is, by nature, more geared to the diehards just in the fact that they are playing a 2nd side (remember those?) of songs that they would NEVER play in another circumstance. The casuals might be "Wooo...Joshua Tree. Remember that night at Jenny's house? I love that album", but they are really talking about the big 3 songs. They will be a bit confused when One Tree Hill kicks in. But they are also used to that "huh?" feeling at every show they go to because they always only know the hits.

I am in a small, small minority of U2 die hards I guess in that I don't like Zooropa at all. I feel like it was a bad B side throwaway, so there is my Bono breaking wind example. I loved AB, and I loved Pop. But Zooropa was the equivalent of the band breaking wind to me. To each their own...
  9. being 5'8", I have only done GA twice. Elevation, right on the ring, and Vertigo Phoenix (I had seats for Vertigo Vegas). And, to be fair, I was on the floor for Zoo TV, but there were seats for that.

I like seats. Because I like to see. But I do miss the energy of the floor. I am just afraid of an experience like Vertigo Phoenix, where I paid for floor (and the floor is getting more expensive every tour) and wound up never getting a really solid view. My wife is 5'4" on a good day, so we both have the problem. Went to see Frank Turner at a club with my daughter (5'0") this last winter and it was a joke with me being the "tall" one leading the way
  10. Originally posted by dougman23:It's a show for both, but a show that is, by nature, more geared to the diehards just in the fact that they are playing a 2nd side (remember those?) of songs that they would NEVER play in another circumstance. The casuals might be "Wooo...Joshua Tree. Remember that night at Jenny's house? I love that album", but they are really talking about the big 3 songs. They will be a bit confused when One Tree Hill kicks in. But they are also used to that "huh?" feeling at every show they go to because they always only know the hits.

I am in a small, small minority of U2 die hards I guess in that I don't like Zooropa at all. I feel like it was a bad B side throwaway, so there is my Bono breaking wind example. I loved AB, and I loved Pop. But Zooropa was the equivalent of the band breaking wind to me. To each their own...
    I still don't think we can say it's geared towards die hard simply because they are playing 6 rarities. If you look at the I&E tour they played at least 7 of SOI each night and it's a fair assumption that in general more people are aware of and familiar with the songs of TJT more than the songs on SOI. That and the fact the tour is called The Joshua Tree tour make this a far more appealing tour for the casual than an I&E tour show. We'll still probably get a setlist that features both lesser known songs and the big hits on a similar scale to the I&E tour but in terms of commercial appeal and appealing to a wider audience the Joshua Tree tour wins hands down.
  11. Originally posted by dougman23:[..]
    being 5'8", I have only done GA twice. Elevation, right on the ring, and Vertigo Phoenix (I had seats for Vertigo Vegas). And, to be fair, I was on the floor for Zoo TV, but there were seats for that.

I like seats. Because I like to see. But I do miss the energy of the floor. I am just afraid of an experience like Vertigo Phoenix, where I paid for floor (and the floor is getting more expensive every tour) and wound up never getting a really solid view. My wife is 5'4" on a good day, so we both have the problem. Went to see Frank Turner at a club with my daughter (5'0") this last winter and it was a joke with me being the "tall" one leading the way
    Didn't mean any offense. I'm 5'8" also and never have a problem. The magic of U2 GA is you can move about freely on the floor ad find the perfect spot.

I'm not sure what you mean about floor getting more expensive. All the tickets do. And you can still buy 4 floor seats for the of 2 (or in some cases 1) seated ticket!
  12. Originally posted by dougman23:It's a show for both, but a show that is, by nature, more geared to the diehards just in the fact that they are playing a 2nd side (remember those?) of songs that they would NEVER play in another circumstance. The casuals might be "Wooo...Joshua Tree. Remember that night at Jenny's house? I love that album", but they are really talking about the big 3 songs. They will be a bit confused when One Tree Hill kicks in. But they are also used to that "huh?" feeling at every show they go to because they always only know the hits.

Haha, yep, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and I think are a few who don't appreciate Zooropa, so you're definitely not alone.

For me, I have always seen that album as a sort of accompaniment to Achtung Baby and Zoo TV (much like R&H is to TJT)- even though it is a fully-fledged album in it's own right of course, its always felt like an extension of all that to me, and a good opportunity for the band to do some envelope-pushing and try a few things that they might otherwise be a bit apprehensive about (i.e. if it was done as a major new release after they'd been away for a few years). I think that experimentation is why much or all of it doesn't gel with some. I also think it's a very European album (I suppose the clue is in the title lol), and I suppose it might resonate a little more for those this side of the pond.

But I will be honest my first playthru of it I was slightly underwhelmed (to the point where I actually nodded off in the middle somewhere - long day at the office lol), but probably only because of the magnitude of what had come before. But then I awoke to 'Dirty Day' and 'The Wanderer' and I listened again wide awake and loved every second of it. A few connections / themes in the songwriting that resonated with me and hit me like a ton of bricks which always helps I suppose.

Bringing it back on topic, I'm not sure if U2 set out to 'aim' their tours or shows at anyone as such, I would say they just do their thing. But I think TJT@30 will perhaps appeal more than any previous tour to casuals - how many copies has it sold now - 30 Gazillion or something?! But I think playing the album all the way through is just a nod to the album and anyone who adored it, and I think there are plenty of diehards and casuals who fall in that category.