2017-06-23 - Toronto
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 2
  1. It's not expressly allowed. I don't think they care so much about online sharing of recordings, but they would take action if they found people selling (well, it'd be the RIAA/Feds more likely). Just keep it a hobby not a profession, and you're ok.

Just like I think the BAND is ok with people taping and recording, as long as its just a hobby. However, I wish their policy would change to reflex that. If we didn't have to smuggle in gear and be on alert the whole show, things would be so much easier.
  2. Originally posted by TheShowman:[...] I've always wondered about the this question: is bootleg sharing allowed by U2? And will it be dangerous to download or upload bootlegs in the near future with stronger copyright law surveillance?
    Hoserama is right: we think it's OK to record shows and share them for free. U2 / Bono has always been explicit on being not OK with selling recordings of their music, but as far as we know - based on earlier statements by Bono - they are cool with fans enjoying and sharing these fan-made recordings for free.

We invite people to bootleg our shows. We invite people to make copies, we've no problems with that, but if some guy is gonna make money off the back of this, we're gonna find out where he parks his car. (Bono, 2001)
    At U2 start the term used for such recordings is "bootlegs." A sort of catchphrase really, because technically (and historically!) it is an incorrect term that may suggest that we're doing something illegal - which, again, we believe we do not.

The u2start policy can be found in the FAQ: http://u2start.com/help/by-category/bootlegsgeneral/#article
    - just go to "How does U2 feel about bootlegs?"

What Hoserama points out is that the venues in which U2 performs, often, if not always, have their own policy regarding recording concerts.
    I think with good reason, because some bands are really not cool with audience recordings and they can not check for every band what their policy is. It is, however, a bit at odds with what Bono said in 2001 with "we invite people to record our show," but, well, that is just how Bono is!

Anyway, you're question is fair and I hope it is answered as such. But further discussion should continue in the "General Audio Recording Topic (updates, Q&A etc.)."
  3. I think you are probably breaking more venue rules recording artists shows than any rules imposed by a band themselves.
  4. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    Hoserama is right: we think it's OK to record shows and share them for free. U2 / Bono has always been explicit on being not OK with selling recordings of their music, but as far as we know - based on earlier statements by Bono - they are cool with fans enjoying and sharing these fan-made recordings for free.

[..]
    At U2 start the term used for such recordings is "bootlegs." A sort of catchphrase really, because technically (and historically!) it is an incorrect term that may suggest that we're doing something illegal - which, again, we believe we do not.

The u2start policy can be found in the FAQ: http://u2start.com/help/by-category/bootlegsgeneral/#article
    - just go to "How does U2 feel about bootlegs?"

What Hoserama points out is that the venues in which U2 performs, often, if not always, have their own policy regarding recording concerts.
    I think with good reason, because some bands are really not cool with audience recordings and they can not check for every band what their policy is. It is, however, a bit at odds with what Bono said in 2001 with "we invite people to record our show," but, well, that is just how Bono is!

Anyway, you're question is fair and I hope it is answered as such. But further discussion should continue in the "General Audio Recording Topic (updates, Q&A etc.)."
    I suppose it wouldn’t be he hardest thing to do though? Ask each band/management what the policy is. They obviously sign contracts for the venue?
  5. Can someone re-up the second part of the CD for Toronto Joshua Tree 17?
  6. Nevermind, I found it.