2017-06-25 - Foxborough
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 2
  1. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I never checked my copy of U2 By U2 to see what it says! But yeah, according to the wikipedia entry (so credible) it was "by preference" - I likely just misinterpreted it.

I don't mind The Joshua Tree as it is to be honest. How would you guys sequence it differently? I think it has a great flow as is.
    I had a go at it before this is what I came up with

Streets
    Trip
    ISHFWILF
    In Gods Country
    One Tree Hill
    Exit
    Running To Stand Still
    Red Hill Mining Town
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    With Or without You
    Mothers Of the Disappeared
  2. We're going terribly off topic but we hit this discussion in that same thread too:

Originally posted by LikeASong:
    Originally posted by deanallison:Streets
    Trip
    ISHFWILF
    In Gods Country
    One Tree Hill
    Exit
    Running To Stand Still
    Red Hill Mining Town
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    With Or without You

Something like this would be pretty good I think.

I was thinking something similar:

Streets
    In Gods Country
    Trip
    ISHFWILF
    One Tree Hill
    Red Hill Mining Town
    Exit
    Bullet The Blue Sky
    Running To Stand Still
    With Or without You
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I think it's still open to debate whether it was Favourite to least favourite or about how the album flowed. Dont think we'll ever be given clear proof it's whatever you chose to believe.

Well it's not exactly like we can ask her....
  4. True but I was thinking more along the lines of one of the band members making it clearer than saying preference which could relate to preference of song or preference on how the album would flow.
  5. Originally posted by RUMMY:[..]
    They need to get it on the radio. Let more people know the tune.

I wasn't at the Boston show but it would have ruined the end of the Toronto gig - sucked the life right out of the stadium. I Will Follow left everyone leaving on a high note.

It's hard to say, to be honest. Rose Bowl 1 ended with IWF and it definitely felt like me missed out by not having Little Things there. Rose Bowl 2 ended with Little Things perfectly.
  6. Personally had a great time last night. Super solid show, amazing in the moment.

We ended up one row behind the rail behind Larry's drum kit on the tree stage. GA number system wasn't "honored" - girl in front of me on the rail had number 480 or something. Didn't matter - great views from all around. Seemed like a mixed audience - women in front of us were really into it the whole time like we were, but the guy behind me and to my right each stood still and filmed the whole concert on their phones.

Songs were each amazing to hear live. Bullet was my favorite on the night, along with Exit, which is genuinely creepy and epic with all the visuals. Surprise standout for me was With or Without You - I've skipped it on every bootleg I've listened to for a while, but last night it sounded fresh - maybe because it stood alone, and wasn't shoved into the encore. Streets was magical, In God's Country and Trip were favorites among the audience where I was standing, OTH was beautiful.

I thought Miss Sarajevo was actually beautiful too, but it's definitely good it opens the encore and doesn't come later. The BD - Elevation - Vertigo combo really got the crowd going. Little Things was really special. Loved seeing the four of them crowd around Larry and try to work through the song.

Visuals were stunning. Streets through Bullet and then Beautiful Day were my favorite. There was actually a lot less room between the main stage and tree stage than I thought, so we could still see the band clearly on the main stage in front of all the visuals.

The show itself as a whole still seems disjointed, even there in the moment. That's the only thing I can be objective about - everything else was great.
  7. Glad you had a great time, Nicole!
  8. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

It's hard to say, to be honest. Rose Bowl 1 ended with IWF and it definitely felt like me missed out by not having Little Things there. Rose Bowl 2 ended with Little Things perfectly.
    Hard to be objective as big fans, obviously. I went in spoiler-free to Chicago 1 (not 2), so as soon as I binge-setlist viewed and saw that they had played a new song at previous shows - and then played it in Chicago night 2 - I was a little bummed.

But wow - as soon as they started I Will Follow night 1, my reaction was "this is going to be fantastic to close on!" And it was - so much energy. So I'm okay with them continuing to close on more of a rocker after the last couple tours not necessarily so...as long as we all hear a lot more of Little Things when SOE finally comes out.
  9. I'm okay with them closing with a rocker, but man I Will Follow needs a break. Vertigo works great as a closer and so does Out Of Control.

After thinking about their setlist structure, I think they should close with Vertigo after The Little Things. Closing out with a rocker in a big stadium is great and The Little Things is good in this context to tease what's in store for the road ahead. They should move Bad back to the third act because they really need something to pick up the show after The Joshua Tree set. Finally, put IWF into the first act, but have it rotate with some other older songs, like say ASOH?
  10. After finally seeing the show in person, I have no real complaint with the setlist structure. I think The Little Things works pretty well as a closer, but I can also see having another song after it being a good move. My mom thought that Vertigo was going to close the show; I'm inclined to say that it should be the closer. However, I really really want to hear The Little Things followed by Out of Control to close... that'd be something special indeed.
  11. Originally posted by ahn1991:I'm okay with them closing with a rocker, but man I Will Follow needs a break. Vertigo works great as a closer and so does Out Of Control.

After thinking about their setlist structure, I think they should close with Vertigo after The Little Things. Closing out with a rocker in a big stadium is great and The Little Things is good in this context to tease what's in store for the road ahead. They should move Bad back to the third act because they really need something to pick up the show after The Joshua Tree set. Finally, put IWF into the first act, but have it rotate with some other older songs, like say ASOH?
    Disagree about IWF vs Vertigo. If either should be retired, it's Vertigo IMO.

I Will Follow is what closed so many of their shows in the early days. On a tour that's looking to the past, if they're going to close with a rocker (I still say 40 would be best), I Will Follow wins. Out of Control would be a close second, we can agree on that!
  12. This isn't a tour that's looking to the past. It's a tour that is transplanting a fixture of the past into the present. That's why Vertigo is way more fitting as a closer compared to IWF. If IWF were to be replaced by Out of Control or even Gloria placed earlier in the set, I'm certain it wouldn't be missed.