2017-07-12 - Berlin
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 24
Audio recordings: 4
  1. amazing pictures!!
  2. mofothethird, I am absoulutely speachless after seeing your pictures. They are stunningly brilliant.

What camera did you use? I would imagine that it would be impossible to take pictures in the rain without some large rain protection. I would think that after a second the drops would hit the lens and it would be impossible to take pictures. How did you manage it?

Also, having a good camera is one thing, but for taking such pictures one has to have a great eye and feeling for the right moment. Which you obviously have. Thanks for sharing!
  3. I read that the security check in Berlin was rather strikt, I want to ask wheteher anybody experienced any problems with small compact cameras. I am planning to take my small compact to the concerts in Amsterdam. I never had a problem with it, but on the ticket it says, that all photographic equipment is prohibitted. But I guess it is just a general rule and really applies to the large professional cameras as always.
  4. People definitely had compact cameras. I think the "no photography rule" is a bit obsolete nowadays: mobile phones are permitted (they were even recommended in the official mail sent by Ticketmaster) which means that 99% of people with mobile phones have cameras with them. :-) So don't worry, you should be fine.
  5. Originally posted by Happy24:I read that the security check in Berlin was rather strikt, I want to ask wheteher anybody experienced any problems with small compact cameras. I am planning to take my small compact to the concerts in Amsterdam. I never had a problem with it, but on the ticket it says, that all photographic equipment is prohibitted. But I guess it is just a general rule and really applies to the large professional cameras as always.
    I just checked the rules today (which were sent out per email to all who bought tickets) and the official policy is: professional cameras are not allowed, and we define a professional camera as a camera with a detachable lens.
  6. Thanks, Remy, I found out that I got that e-mail too, but it ened up in my spam folder and I wouldn't find it if I didn't know about it from here. Anyway, it all looks like standard rules these days, there surely won't be any problems.
  7. Wow Happy24. Thankyou so much for the support I'm so glad to hear people enjoy my pictures.
    To answer some of your questioons: The camera I used was a Canon EOS M5. This is not actually a "professional camera" its like a compact camera body with detachable lenses. Its smaller than your avarage DLSR ant thus easier to sneak in.

I took the body, lense and adapter apart and hid them.

The rain gave me a lot of trouble. I mean.. My camera was soaked. So thank god Canon makes decent camera's. these days. The lens held up well too but I had no idea. I was wearing a poncho so my clothes stayed dry.. Had a cotton wipe to clean up the lense if it got too bad / moist. The outer glass of the lense is also a bit deeper than the actual edge of the lense.

Also. I got discovered by a livenation dude while snapping away in between singing and bouncing. I was second row but he still saw me.
    he gestured me to stop photographing. Which I did for about 60 seconds. But I was so eager to keep photographing that I took the risk of continuing. I was like... If this is the last time this succeeds I'd better roll with it.

Never saw the security again. and I befriended local security before the gig by helping them pass out the wristbands that they had forgotten.
    They saw me , as they where right in front of me. But they where okay with it?

It depends on so many little factors. But luck was on my side that day. Thanks again for the high praise. I'm hoping to shoot some more in the near future.
  8. We had the same in Dublin. My friend had a DSLR with 200mm lens and we befriended the security guys in front of us. He even wanted us to take a picture of him with Noel Gallagher.

Once we've done that he was like "because of this picture you can do anything you like", even though his manager told him we couldn't use the camera

So yes, many factors!
  9. Originally posted by Remy:We had the same in Dublin. My friend had a DSLR with 200mm lens and we befriended the security guys in front of us. He even wanted us to take a picture of him with Noel Gallagher.

Once we've done that he was like "because of this picture you can do anything you like", even though his manager told him we couldn't use the camera

So yes, many factors!
    gold
  10. Originally posted by Remy:We had the same in Dublin. My friend had a DSLR with 200mm lens and we befriended the security guys in front of us. He even wanted us to take a picture of him with Noel Gallagher.

So yes, many factors!
    Win! Which row did you get? First or what?

So rules so far:

1. Water bottles and snacks are your friends. ( Poncho's and umbrellas too )

2. Be nice to local security.

3. Ignore Live nation crew.

4. Incredible amount of luck.
  11. Originally posted by mofothethird:[..]
    Win! Which row did you get? First or what?

So rules so far:

1. Water bottles and snacks are your friends. ( Poncho's and umbrellas too )

2. Be nice to local security.

3. Ignore Live nation crew.

4. Incredible amount of luck.
    Yes, first row this was.

I'll publish a guide on U2 concert photography sometime after the European leg, with some tips and tricks as well on how to deal with security. And indeed 1 & 2 & 4 are applicable
  12. Crowd dead or just getting started