2017-07-22 - Dublin
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 24
Audio recordings: 1
Videos: 1
  1. Yep
  2. They've set such incredibly high standards that it is very hard to keep hitting the watermark.
    If this had been my first ever U2 show I would have been blown away .
    Either way, they are still the best live band in the world .
  3. A great day and night in Dublin. No gig is perfect, but this was a good one. The crowd loved it and sang and jumped about. Bono probably talked a bit too much but there's pressure on him and the band at these homecoming gigs and I think it showed from time to time. For 99.9% of the crowd these were minor irritations. The presentation of the Joshua Tree section is superb, and worth the admission for that alone, Streets was immense in Dublin. Exit got a great crowd reaction. Elevation and Vertigo were great, not the best ending but most weren't complaining. I spoke with several people after and a resounding thumbs up. The punters went home happy as did I, if this is nostalgia heck it's good! There's nothing like being there and the warm up act in the Big Tree pub beforehand were great, their Bono was nearly even better than the real thing!!
  4. A very good start for an unbelievable weekend in Dublin. Many thanks for the kick-off on Friday. Unforgettable!
  5. Originally posted by irishred:Was in Dublin last night. Its my 18th show across 30 years. It wasn't a special show but it was a very good one. I've been lucky to be at Croke 87, Point 89, RDS 93, Foxboro 97, Slane 01, London 09 and even Glasgow in 15. All nights which to me it were more than a concert and really had lift off.

However Its tough to constantly critique what U2 do because we are always looking for special nights. We have been spoilt largely by what they have achieved and how they have constantly re invented both indoor and outdoor shows. However I don't think nostalgia can give us really special nights.

The homecoming shows are often over hyped and since 01 they haven't really given us anything really different from everywhere else. Last night felt like that. Another thing to note is the age of the crowd. Like U2 and myself it must be said its largely an older crowd. Harder i feel to get an outdoor audience of that age going. I showed my wife the Croke 87 Streets into from World in Action. Wow!!

The show itself was very good. I liked the intro songs. Bad ( my favourite song by a distance) wasn't great but i cringe sometimes hearing it over the last decade considering how it was played in the early days. SBS, NYD and Pride got everyone going though. They should have played ASOH and i'm not sure it will comeback- pity though.

The Joshua Tree itself was fantastic. Running for me along with Exit and Streets were show stoppers. Running especially was one of the best versions i've heard-
    especially as its about Dublin. One Tree Hill as well was great.The whole album was great to hear especially Mothers and Red Hill which i hadn't heard before. The screen and presentation were fantastic.

Miss Sarajevo was great and as only U2 can do got us to think of others less fortunate at a rock show. The rest of the show was played to the masses and i was happy enough with that considering we got rarities within the album section. Elevation was surprisingly good but Ultra violet and B' Day less so. Finishing with a song everyone doesn't know doesn't leave everyone wanting one more. OOC or IWF would do but I accept U2 don't always play to my tune.

U2 are getting close to 60. Be thankful we have them. They are still touring and playing which is what we really want. I got to sing and dance to my favourite band. U2s very good still blows most out of the water. I really enjoyed the show and i'm hoping Amsterdam next week can have lift off!!!

I've been waiting to read a post like this all day - well done. The U2 Homecomings are always overhyped since that epic performance at Croke Park in 1985. I too saw them in 1987 and was amazed last night to think they are still such a formidable unit.

I couldn't believe the number of overseas fans that were there last night, I spoke to two fans who had travelled from Birmingham, UK and they too wanted something big to happen, but I honestly knew there and then this show wasn't going to the be all and end all some had hoped. The fly over was cool to see though.

I thought "Bullet" and "God's Country" were the highlights for me - as I watched it last night it was difficult not to reminisce back to the June 1987 show, But I left thinking these guys served up the goods.
  6. Irish shows are no longer Irish affairs. They are a tourist attraction.
  7. Yeah it's a tick box experience like seeing Man U at Old Trafford
  8. Having travelled 15,000 miles (from Canberra in Australia) to attend last night's concert maybe I'm in a good position to share my thoughts on the show.

Seeing U2 in Dublin has been a 25 year dream for me. As a poster mentioned above - it compares with watching the derby at Old Trafford, elClassico at the Camp Nau etc.

I thought the show was amazing. The production is incredible, the songs timeless but the whole experience is still beyond words.

Sure, I would have loved them to have played ASOH but I saw U2 play Bad at Croke Park last night.

I would have loved them to have closed with I Will Follow but I've seen them play that twice on Oz tours but perhaps I'm lucky to have had the chance to hear an unreleased song from potentially one of their final albums.

Bono is getting older, talking more, changing (forgetting) lyrics as he pleases , playing it safe but as they're nearly 60, I don't think they'll be heading "Down Under" many more times.

So thank you U2 for ticking #1 off my bucket list!!'
  9. The Little Things You Give Away was a poor choice of song to end the night on an otherwise great gig the crowd just stood there motionless I will follow or out of control would have been a much better way to end it ,Shockingly ASOH was left out ,after playing it in Barcelona everyone assumed it would be played maybe it just doesn't fit into to the high energy opening sequence of songs and the band may feel it only appeals to the hard core . Surprisingly Vertigo and Elevation had the whole place on their feet and were one of the many highlights along with NYD,Exit,Bad, and street's ,the gig itself was a stark contrast to the last time they played Croke Park on the 360 tour in 2009 they had the whole crowd singing and dancing from the first song to the last they hit the ground running and it wasn't a case of flogging a new album that few cared about and then playing the hits.
  10. I'd much rather hear Bad w/ Heroes then ASOH. Would be dissapointed if I miss out on bad again at Amsterdam 1
  11. And why the heck would anyone want to torture themselves with that