1. For me as long as they’re aren’t stealing anything then it’s ok. What I mean by stealing is using without permission or without giving credit where it’s due. As Tedder works extremely closely with the band it isn’t even an issue in the case of summer Of Love and Lights Of Home they have given credit to Haim. As long as the songs sound good which in my opinion they do then I don’t care how they get to they results.
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:For me as long as they’re aren’t stealing anything then it’s ok. What I mean by stealing is using without permission or without giving credit where it’s due. As Tedder works extremely closely with the band it isn’t even an issue in the case of summer Of Love and Lights Of Home they have given credit to Haim. As long as the songs sound good which in my opinion they do then I don’t care how they get to they results.
    +1
  3. Not amused by this either - but I suppose all the points here also make sense. Still, takes away from it a bit for me, as I was pleased to see them sounding slightly different than usual - it's a bit different when it sounds like a big part of it was borrowed.

On the other hand...I wonder if Zach from OneRepublic is the Zach on Blackout
  4. Originally posted by Ali709:Not amused by this either - but I suppose all the points here also make sense. Still, takes away from it a bit for me, as I was pleased to see them sounding slightly different than usual - it's a bit different when it sounds like a big part of it was borrowed.

On the other hand...I wonder if Zach from OneRepublic is the Zach on Blackout
    This is how I feel as well.
  5. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:Who knows how much Howie D. collaborated in Pop (or what other things they stole in that album too) or they borrowed from D. Lanois and Brian Eno these years, doesn't going to change my opinion on those songs.

Yep. Without Howie B.'s influence + samples all over the place on Pop, that wouldn't be the same album, and yet it's one of my favorites. And regarding Eno/Lanois, I know that opinions on NLOTH are mixed, but does anyone with a low opinion of that album base it on the fact that Eno/Lanois were also songwriters? I know it doesn't affect my view. Nor for Passengers, for that matter...

More recently with Tedder now, does anyone recall reading that he basically wrote the chorus melody for Every Breaking Wave? I recall seeing that somewhere...Might be similar to Summer of Love, where that guitar part and maybe the opening line of the chorus "I've been thinking 'bout the West Coast" were already written, but U2 took it in a characteristically "U2" direction by writing a song about the Aleppo gardener. Somehow I can't see OneRepublic having a hit with that kind of subject matter.

Anyway. Still my favorite song on SOE, tied with Landlady.
  6. Tedder is well remunerated for his production work, not to mention the extra benefits from association with U2, so he's got to deliver something beyond knob twiddling, throwing out oblique strategies, philosophising with The Edge or being a sounding board for Bono's ideas or whatever it is that people think producers do. Besides, have his own band actually released or published this West Coast track? Hard to plagiarize something that doesn't even exist.
  7. This story is a big scratch in the album for me. It has the most interesting guitars in a U2 song since In a Little While.

If Tedder and Zach came up with lines and that awesome hipnotic guitar "riff" then they should be writers as well, shouldn´t they? There´s no problem if U2 used something One Republic threw away... Or even something the band themselves threw away and decided to "have back" after they saw what it could be (read somewhere, maybe in Reddit, that Ryan Tedder said that "West Coast didn´t feel like authentic One Republic")... But you gotta give credit where credit is due.

It seems clear that the guitar part wasn´t written by The Edge... There is really one guitar, the others are used for textures... If Edge had come up with it then he would play it and there wouldn´t be "additional" guitarists... So anytime I read "additional guitars" in the album sleeve should I believe that that guy wrote some guitar parts? I would really like to have a light about how this song came up.
  8. Originally posted by NLOTH_Victor:.. Or even something the band themselves threw away and decided to "have back" after they saw what it could be (read somewhere, maybe in Reddit, that Ryan Tedder said that "West Coast didn´t feel like authentic One Republic")... But you gotta give credit where credit is due.
    I don't get this part... If it was indeed written by U2, then throw away, then taken back, they don't have to give credit at all.

Same if the song was worked between the band and its producer, that's his job and that's what's supposed to be the norm, not the exception.

If the song was written by someone else then they should give credit, like in Lights of Home they did and showed that they have no problem at all doing it.