1. It's probably for the tour, right? It seems sooo strange to me if they are working for a next album. It would be exciting but I find it highly unlikely. I'm sure you guys have discussed that somewhere already; it still amazes me how much work they put in the last 3 years! Or maybe even 4, starting from 2014 and the iTunes release craziness! Tour, work on next album, (Bono's health scare), album delay, anniversary tour, new album!, new tour!... I think the lads would like a break afterwards!
  2. My guess is 40% of songs of ascent is in the can
    These guys seem to be on fast forward (FFWD) to retiring.
  3. They are openly now discussing the option of retiring soon.

The Edge:

In a way, U2’s most recent tours form an arc of sorts – iNNOCENCE was a young bad starting out; Joshua Tree was the band conquering the world; and eXPERIENCE has several references to a longing for home.

“The Joshua Tree part of that was not deliberate,” The Edge smiles. “It was more a happenstance kind of thing, but definitely, with iNNOCENCE and eXPERIENCE, there was an arc we were aware of. The iNNOCENCE tour was easier because it was rooted in our earlier history and the beginnings of what the band was about. This time, we’re into a more nuanced thing. What have you got to offer? What have you got to say for yourself, based on everything that you’ve been through?

“I liked Brendan Kennelly’s advice to write as if you were dead, disregard any of the constraints that polite society might put on your work, the worry that you might cross a line or offend somebody: just be honest and up front. There’s a lot of personal material in these last two records that wouldn’t necessarily be something we would want to go into and explain, as that can ruin it. I don’t think we’ve ever been this personal before.”

The end of this arc might seem like a logical place to either stop completely, or at least take a break.
  4. Originally posted by LikeASong:They are openly now discussing the option of retiring soon.

The Edge:

....................................................”

The end of this arc might seem like a logical place to either stop completely, or at least take a break.

Did Edge really say this?
  5. That bit that was put in bold about it being a logical place to stop or take a break was the writer of the articles words not Edge, that was then followed by this from Edge
    “I think we are going to take a little bit of a break. Definitely a long weekend,”
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:They are openly now discussing the option of retiring soon.

The Edge:

In a way, U2’s most recent tours form an arc of sorts – iNNOCENCE was a young bad starting out; Joshua Tree was the band conquering the world; and eXPERIENCE has several references to a longing for home.

“The Joshua Tree part of that was not deliberate,” The Edge smiles. “It was more a happenstance kind of thing, but definitely, with iNNOCENCE and eXPERIENCE, there was an arc we were aware of. The iNNOCENCE tour was easier because it was rooted in our earlier history and the beginnings of what the band was about. This time, we’re into a more nuanced thing. What have you got to offer? What have you got to say for yourself, based on everything that you’ve been through?

“I liked Brendan Kennelly’s advice to write as if you were dead, disregard any of the constraints that polite society might put on your work, the worry that you might cross a line or offend somebody: just be honest and up front. There’s a lot of personal material in these last two records that wouldn’t necessarily be something we would want to go into and explain, as that can ruin it. I don’t think we’ve ever been this personal before.”

I've said more than once that this is likely to be the case, but actually seeing one of the guys say it....

Why don't I have tickets for Dublin 4
  7. Edge never said anything about retiring though.