1. No, thats how this band works now. Remember they didnt used to use 8 producers, fake drums, and other bands riffs. Thats 2000's U2, who decided popularity was the more important than anything else. Exception is NLOTH.
  2. Originally posted by amansman:[..]
    What song sounds like U2? What song sounds like one of their hits? What song sounds like something similar to Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? SOI had songs like that.
    The funny thing is that Achtung Baby also didn't sound like anything they've did before. Same was true for The Unforgettable Fire. And guess what: at the time these albums came out, some U2 fans didn't like these albums because they felt these albums "didn't sound like U2 anymore."

On the other hand, I think The Joshua Tree was instantly loved because it sounded so much like U2...what ever that sound was...or is.

And if there is anything like a U2 sound, it is how the band sounds live. And I think this is a sound that Steve Lilywhite somehow tries to recreate in the studio. That's why SOI sounds different than SOE.

Personally I like it all - lucky me! I discovered U2 back in 1984/85 sort of simultaneously through The Unforgettable Fire, Under A Blood Red Sky and side 2 of the 12" of 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' with the remixes of 'New Year's Day' and 'Two Hearts Beat As One.' So that's almost all of the U2 flavours in their proto kind of form.

Anyway, regarding this topic's subject matter, "Songs Of Ascent - U2's next album?" anyone's guess is as good as mine. And no-one knows what it will sound like until it's out.
  3. Personally I would like to hear a bit more anger in their next album but I don't think Bono's voice can carry that type of music now which is why I think SOE works well (I prefer SOE to SOI despite all the love references!). Where he just about carries it off in NLOTH, Raised by wolves sounded strained. If they do release another album, I think it will be more like the sound of SOE as that is where his voice is. But who knows.
  4. my dream is a real rock album
  5. Originally posted by amansman:[..]
    What song sounds like U2? What song sounds like one of their hits? What song sounds like something similar to Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby? SOI had songs like that.

Right off the top of my head, Get Out Of Your Own Way? It sounds like Beautiful Day and Invisible had a baby.

There is so much “sounds like U2” here that I even wonder have you listened if you can’t see it.
  6. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    The funny thing is that Achtung Baby also didn't sound like anything they've did before. Same was true for The Unforgettable Fire. And guess what: at the time these albums came out, some U2 fans didn't like these albums because they felt these albums "didn't sound like U2 anymore."
    I nearly had a heart attack at the first chord of Zoo Station.

Originally posted by U232323:Personally I would like to hear a bit more anger in their next album but I don't think Bono's voice can carry that type of music now which is why I think SOE works well
    angry U2 is the U2 I fell in love first and I always want another angry U2 song (closer we got this time around was Lights of Home, but the coda doesn't make feel it that way).

Like you said the voice is not there but most importantly, the anger isn't there neither.
    Is not a lucky coincidence that Songs of Experience focuses on love instead of anger.

In The Name Of The Father (the movie) comes to mind... The son is full of anger while the father is more focused on what's needed to change their reality.
    Here's the same, I can't expect another "fuck the revolution", or another War album. That's why I insist that you need context to appreciate this album, who wrote it, why, when, to whom.

And, by the way, I also believe that most of what they originally considered Songs of Ascent, has turned into SOI/SOE.
  7. Originally posted by amansman:[..]
    No, thats how this band works now. Remember they didnt used to use 8 producers, fake drums, and other bands riffs. Thats 2000's U2, who decided popularity was the more important than anything else. Exception is NLOTH.

*cough*Pop*cough*
  8. what is rock and roll these days?
  9. For me they're all Rock/rockish, but if I had to consider just one U2 album as their "Rock Album", it would be War