1. Some good stuffs... but I don't like to listen the full album in sequence... it's so boring!! But some songs like Corpse, Always Forever Now, Beach Sequence and even Slug works well in alternate playlists... no comments about Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room.
  2. I used to love Passengers as a late night listen in the dark, drifting off to sleep to it, and I don't mean that in a bad way like it was boring, just very ambient.

It doesn't get much of a play these days, but I can still easy succomb to Slug, Always Forever Now and Beach Sequence, and Theme From Let's Go Native.

I think it was a good outlet for U2 to experiment and do some stuff that just wouldn't go down well under the moniker of U2. In fact it could well have been one of the '2 crap albums in a row and you're out' that Bono has referred to, as far as the masses go.

I just take things for what they are.

This isn't a full-blown U2 album that they laboured over for years on end nor was it meant to be. It was more a collection of ideas and envelope pushing and probably pushed very heavily by Eno. Maybe a 'get it out of your system' kinda thing before you get back into the meat and potatoes of a solid U2 record, and also perhaps a bit of a 'feeler' if you like, to see what 'Joe Publics' reaction to some of the songs might be, to perhaps help them gauge where to go next and how far they could push things. Possibly another reason why Pop ended up being a more conservative heavy mutha of a rock album as opposed to the way it was originally going.

I think it allowed U2 to hide behind a mask and push some boundaries that would have been really difficult to push as U2. Another mask to hide behind and try some fun stuff, much like Bono's Zoo TV stage personas.

As for the whole is it U2 or not U2 thing? For me the answer is both. Contradiction is balance.

I for one am glad they did it.
  3. Yesterday I watched the anime movie Ghost In The Shell. The original, 1995 movie, not the abomination made this year with Scarlett Johanson.
    To my surprise, One Minute Warning was played during the end credits! I think I read about that before, but I completely forgot about that. Best part of the movie, lol.
    When I told my wife that was a U2 song (let's bypass the whole "Passengers is not U2" controversy), she told me that sounded like Ross' keyboard song from Friends:

So yeah, that should tell you how the general public perceived the Passengers OST1 album.
  4. Nothing like working quietly at home while listening to this album.
  5. I play it doing crosswords...
    When the pen falls on the floor i'm asleep....forth or fifth Song....
    Not an easy album.but good.
    If there weren't u2 member i wouldn't even noticed it
  6. Love Your blue room, would love to hear that one live. I think that
    U2's more ambient style is interesting.
  7. Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo are my favourites from the album, no surprise it's the only 2 they've done live although I think the latter has been a bit overplayed live.
  8. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo are my favourites from the album, no surprise it's the only 2 they've done live although I think the latter has been a bit overplayed live.
    these two are gems, and like the ambient atmosphere of it all.
    Maybe a Slug snippet would work well live.