1. Originally posted by TheRealEdge:[..]
    was that tour sold on the spectacle of the claw solely though?
    would people been as quick to attend if it was a standard rock show?
    and we have to take into account that it visited a lot of places so it was going to garner attention and ticket sales anyway

That's true. People may have bought tickets on the basis of the Claw rather than the No Line album.

But that also means they can potentially rinse and repeat, making up for failed albums with big-spectacle rock shows.

There aren't many bands still standing with U2's stature. That's why I think it might not matter any more (except to us) if they continue to disappoint with their recorded work.
  2. People bought tickets because of the album, because of the claw too, but mainly because it was U2. I think from here on out they'll be known as a live band.. they may release a few more albums but their chasing the charts days are probably over. I hope I'm wrong, but their age is really working against them. SOI/SOE weren't their greatest albums by any stretch of the imagination, but their name and legacy draws the masses. It will in Vegas, and probably will for any subsequent tour behind the shameless ridiculous etc guitar album that's in the works
  3. Originally posted by BloodyValentine:[..]

At least we agree that Vida and No Line couldn't be further apart but not sure how Viva qualifies as arty. It sounds to me more like an Abba or Paul McCartney pop extravaganza. It certainly doesn't bear much resemblance to Eno's typical fare.

Eno worked on Vida with Coldplay from 2006 to 2008. No Line came out in 2009. If anything, he might have needed an "experimental" fix with U2 after working on that crap for so long.

Yeah but Eno worked on Mylo Xyloto too. I always said the singles from those albums would have made really good U2 songs. Every time I hear Coldplay in that era I say “Imagine if U2 had done this.”
  4. Originally posted by kris_smith87:Yeah but Eno worked on Mylo Xyloto too. I always said the singles from those albums would have made really good U2 songs. Every time I hear Coldplay in that era I say “Imagine if U2 had done this.”

Ah ok, didn't know Eno worked on Mylo also. But yeah I totally agree there's a lot of crossover melodies that could work for U2. Actually, even going back as far as A Rush Of Blood, I'd love to hear Bono sing something like The Scientist just to see how that sounds from his pipes.
  5. Originally posted by BloodyValentine:[..]
    In this thread some people have talked about the fact that it took the band 5 years to make this album in between peak advocacy trips by Bono for his various activism initiatives.
    Five what? HTDAAB was released in November 2004 and immediately followed by a 2 year tour that ended in December 2006. They released NLOTH in March 2009 - that's less than 2.5 years! I mean, SOI and SOE were meant (and publicized) as twin albums, and yet had a longer separation (and 2 tours!) between them So no, no. It didn't "take them 5 years to make NLOTH", not even close.