1. Originally posted by LikeASong[..]Well, the UNESCO doesn't look to manage everybody's vote, just because :
    1) it's impossible
    [and]
    2) the UNESCO (or any official member association of the UN) is enabled to take decissions by the humanity.. - A millionaire is not.

So what? Are you disappointed just because Alhambra didn't make it?

2. I'm not really on either side of the argument, it might be official it might not. But at the end of the day, does it really matter? Any wonders that didn't make the 7 are still...er...wonderful
  3. Originally posted by zooTV4allSo what? Are you disappointed just because Alhambra didn't make it?
    I'm not patriotic, so this is a false argument, and also a coward answer. Do you think I'd reject a poll just because my election didn't do it? No, mate...
    However I'm dissapointed because Hagia Sophia did't make it. It's way better than some of the wonders already choosen.
    Originally posted by zooTV4allNo, but the majority of the world has internet/phone connections.
    This is another BIG lie. Let's see what say the experts.
    This all is obtained from InternetWorldStats.com and MasterMagazine.com (a spanish web about technologies)..
    Originally posted by InternetWorldstats.comWORLD INTERNET USAGE AND POPULATION STATISTICS

Asia
    Population---------------------------------3,712,527,624
    Population % of World-------------------56.5 %
    Internet Usage--------------------------- 418,007,015
    % Population who uses internet-------11.3 %
    Represents this % of World------------36.2 %

Europe
    Population---------------------------------809,624,686
    Population % of World------------------12.3 %
    Internet Usage ---------------------------321,853,477
    % Population who uses internet ------39.8 %
    Represents this % of World -----------27.9%

Middle East
    Population---------------------------------193,452,727
    Population % of World-------------------2.9 %
    Internet Usage----------------------------19,539,300
    % Population who uses internet-------10.1 %
    Represents this % of World------------1.7 %

North America
    Population---------------------------------334,538,018
    Population % of World-------------------5.1 %
    Internet Usage----------------------------232,655,287
    % Population who uses internet-------69.5 %
    Represents this % of World------------20.2%

Latin America/Caribbean
    Population--------------------------------556,606,627
    Population % of World------------------8.5 %
    Internet Usage---------------------------109,961,609
    % Population who uses internet------19.8 %
    Represents this % of World-----------9.5 %

Oceania / Australia
    Population--------------------------------34,468,443
    Population % of World------------------0.5 %
    Internet Usage---------------------------18,796,490
    % Population who uses internet------54.5 %
    Represents this % of World-----------1.6 %

Africa
    Population-------------------------------933,448,292
    Population % of World-----------------14.2 %
    Internet Usage--------------------------33,545,600
    % Population who uses internet-----3.6 %
    Represents this % of World----------2.9 %
    [image]
    [image]
    WORLD TOTAL
    Population-------------------------------6,574,666,417
    Population % of World----------------100.0 %
    Internet Usage-------------------------1,154,358,778
    % Population who uses internet----17.6 %
    I really don't know WHAT do you exactly consider "a majority" but I think 17% is NOT a majority...

What about Africa and Asia? They're both continents with tons of higly recommended landscapes and monumments and.. what?
    Have they had the chance to vote? Oh, yes, a BIIIIIG majority of them have had it... About a 7,5 % of the people has had the chance to.
    And even considering that... Are you able to think HOW MANYof this 7,5 percent has ever heard about this New7Wonders-poll?
    --------
    MasterMagazine.com]In Europe, there are 28 PC by each person, in North America this number reaches the 33 PCs/person. In Australia and New Zealand, the number of PCs per person is about 51.
    In Africa there's 1,57 PC's per each person.
    What have you to say about this?

------Conclussion---------

I honestly think that this poll about the Wonders has been a good initiative, and an advice for the UNESCO, but we shouldn't give it the rate of OFFICIAL (and I woulnd't give the rate of VALID either!) to it.

I say goodbye quoting a known song...
    Originally posted by [b46664[/b]]A long way to Justice!!!
  4. Taken this all a bit personally haven't you?
  5. i think bono's old mullet should have been a wonder
  6. Originally posted by rmann83Taken this all a bit personally haven't you?
    A bit...

A long way to justice!
  7. Originally posted by paolom3i think bono's old mullet should have been a wonder

man, you surely have sense of humour!!!!! i like the mullet too!!! but unfortunately it was not on the vote-list.....

i might have gone a little out of topic, but i would also like to add that i was happy to see taj mahal win, cause it was my favorite!!!!
    anyway, better than choosing the new 7 wonders, would be visiting them!!! that's surely my wonder.....
  8. OK LikeASong, if you took this personal, my apologies. That was not intended.

I honestly thought that more than 17.6 % per cent of the world have access to Internet. If you look at the poorest countries, yes of course, most of them didn't have the chance to vote. But a lot of them have never heard of any of the candidates too, so... They have landscapes and wonderful nature in many counties, of course yes, but one of the criterias was that it was needed to be made by humans.

The old 7 Wonders was decided by wise men in Greece ca 140 BC. That list was criticized back then because it only includes wonders around the Mediterranean Sea.

" I have set eyes on the wall of lofty Babylon on which is a road for chariots, and the statue of Zeus by the Alpheus, and the hanging gardens, and the Colossus of the Sun, and the huge labour of the high pyramids, and the vast tomb of Mausolus; but when I saw the house of Artemis that mounted to the clouds, those other marvels lost their brilliancy, and I said, 'Lo, apart from Olympus, the Sun never looked on aught so grand."

– Antipater, Greek Anthology IX.58

So the word "official" or "valid" in these cases are difficult. The old 7 Wonders are all destroyed except for the Pyramids in Giza, but that list is more of a historic one. And there will always be people who don't agree with things, but I think people will look back for many hundreds years for The New 7 Wonders list. Of course the more famous ones, like Great Wall Of China and Colosseum, was given a "head start" in the voting. I think your favourite Hagia Sophia is quite unknown to be honest.

Okey...peace now?
  9. I honestly don't think that we should give importance to a silly pool.
  10. Originally posted by zooTV4allOK LikeASong, if you took this personal, my apologies. That was not intended.

I honestly thought that more than 17.6 % per cent of the world have access to Internet. If you look at the poorest countries, yes of course, most of them didn't have the chance to vote. But a lot of them have never heard of any of the candidates too, so... They have landscapes and wonderful nature in many counties, of course yes, but one of the criterias was that it was needed to be made by humans.

Okey...peace now?
    Peace...