1. On one level it clearly references The Troubles in NI with 'unapproved road', how the 'high ground is not worth taking' and how 'the old church bell no longer ringing' all commenting on the politics and religion in Ulster at the time. It's a call for new ideas in the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement.

On the other hand it works as an 'across the barricades' love song.

I'm not sure the b-side works, but Christy's does and the live version on the Omagh tribute is very poignant.
  2. I'll check it
    See How lyrics view change by the place where you live...how you live...what you live
  3. That's the wonderful thing about lyrics: they mean what they mean to you. Great songs or poems have a universal quality that works anywhere. We all need new songs and ideas; that's why we're here.
  4. In search of the unknown...
  5. When I said it was particularly topical right now, I was referring to the idea of a country divided and the need to reach out to each other again. What happened in Charlottesville recently, plus the overall climate in the country (if you watch the news) makes this seem super relevant at the moment. In particular:

"I want to reach out... Walk with you..."

"I want to see, and I want to hear
    To understand your fears..."

"...running from what he didn't understand..."

"There was a badness that had it's way
    Love was not lost, love will have it's day..."

"I want to meet you
    Where you are
    I don't need you to surrender
    There's no feeling
    Thats so alone
    As when the one you're hurting is your own"
  6. Originally posted by Faceman2000:When I said it was particularly topical right now, I was referring to the idea of a country divided and the need to reach out to each other again. What happened in Charlottesville recently, plus the overall climate in the country (if you watch the news) makes this seem super relevant at the moment. In particular:

"I want to reach out... Walk with you..."

"I want to see, and I want to hear
    To understand your fears..."

"...running from what he didn't understand..."

"There was a badness that had it's way
    Love was not lost, love will have it's day..."

"I want to meet you
    Where you are
    I don't need you to surrender
    There's no feeling
    Thats so alone
    As when the one you're hurting is your own"
    That last line certainly rings true. Having lived and worked in the States, it's really disappointing to see some of the things going on there.
  7. Not living this kind of things i always find an intimate meanings of the songs.
    We're on but we're not the same
  8. *one
  9. I've just been listening to Christy Moore's new live album and there's a version of North & South (as he calls it) with Declan Sinnott on guitar. Well worth a listen.

Highlight for me though is an amazing version of Viva La Quinte Brigada - a b-side to North and South of the River - from the Barrowlands in Glasgow.
  10. Originally posted by Anam:I've just been listening to Christy Moore's new live album and there's a version of North & South (as he calls it) with Declan Sinnott on guitar. Well worth a listen.

Highlight for me though is an amazing version of Viva La Quinte Brigada - a b-side to North and South of the River - from the Barrowlands in Glasgow.
    Both brilliant.