1. Hi friends!

I'm going to record some DVDs in these days because I need to free a bit the memory of my hard-disk. Yesterday I started recording one of the four films I have on my PC, thinking that I would have recorded them all during the afternoon. But this first recording took more than 6 hours to finish!
    I wonder if it's for the little space left in my hard-disk or if it's also a problem of my recording program, with which I always had problems (actually I hate it ): that's Nero 7 Premium.
    I know Nero is one of the best recording program, but I think it's absolutely impossible that a single recording takes so much time.
    For this reason I would appreciate if you all will say your own opinion about the best recording program, because I really would like to get a new one.

THANK YOU!

2. What do you plan to do? Put videos on DVD and author it to watch it on a Standalone Player; or do you just wanna make some space on your hard drive and store the data on disks?
  3. I like a combination of DVD Shrink 3.2, Nero 6.6 Ultra and NeroVision Express.
  4. Do you have Nero Start Smart?
    Works good for me
  5. Hey, mate, what are you doing?? A video-dvd burning? Or only a back-up (data burning)??
    If you're doing a back-up to free har-disk space, it should take about 30 minutes (with an average computer)... Not 6 hours!!

For example, my coumputer (with Nero 7 Platinum) took 6 hours and 30 minutes to burn a DVD converting AVI files to VOB files. 6 hours.
    And I did a backup yesterday, and it took me 42 miunutes (just a bit longer than usually cause i was doing error-comprobation).

You're doing something wrong, dear...

EDIT. i read your complete post and saw "I burnt one of the 4 movies i have on my pc..."... That's right.
    With an average computer, converting AVI to VOB files and burning them into a DVD uses to take about 5 or 6 hours.
    Think that, Nero has to convert ALL the pixels of ALL the seconds of teh filmmm That's a bit of work!

One possible thingto do is set the Video Options to put "Small Quality" for the video, so it has to recode less frames...
  6. Originally posted by LikeASongHey, mate, what are you doing?? A video-dvd burning? Or only a back-up (data burning)??
    If you're doing a back-up to free har-disk space, it should take about 30 minutes (with an average computer)... Not 6 hours!!

For example, my coumputer (with Nero 7 Platinum) took 6 hours and 30 minutes to burn a DVD converting AVI files to VOB files. 6 hours.
    And I did a backup yesterday, and it took me 42 miunutes (just a bit longer than usually cause i was doing error-comprobation).

You're doing something wrong, dear...

EDIT. i read your complete post and saw "I burnt one of the 4 movies i have on my pc..."... That's right.
    With an average computer, converting AVI to VOB files and burning them into a DVD uses to take about 5 or 6 hours.
    Think that, Nero has to convert ALL the pixels of ALL the seconds of teh filmmm That's a bit of work!

One possible thingto do is set the Video Options to put "Small Quality" for the video, so it has to recode less frames...

I'm going to make video-DVDs...
    Of course I'm not happy for the content of your answer, because I thought I could solve this great problem of time. Now I know I have to accept what I have and go on by recording only one DVD per day...

THANK YOU!

7. Originally posted by sadb7788I'm going to make video-DVDs...
    Of course I'm not happy for the content of your answer, because I thought I could solve this great problem of time. Now I know I have to accept what I have and go on by recording only one DVD per day...

THANK YOU!
    You'er welcome, and I'm so sorry... Sorry to carry bad news for you...

The 6 hours are the reason for me to don't download almost any films... Too much waiting!!

Anyway you can try to put a lower quality/framerate for the video. Doing that you have to wait less time (despite you'll find a lower quality on your TV, etc)
  8. Originally posted by sadb7788[..]

I'm going to make video-DVDs...

THANK YOU!

If your DVD-player supports divx or xvid then there's no need to convert the videos to DVD. Just burn them as data and the player will play them.
    If it doesn't, you have the choice to either convert them and author a DVD (takes much time indeed, best software would be TMPGEnc DVD Author) or keep them in the format you have, burn them as data and watch them via PC.

The problem with the conversion is that many videos were converted from DVD to avi (e.g. everything I posted here and all videos you'll find on spiral's blog). So the quality is worse than the original DVD. If you reconvert your avi to vob files, you'll lose quality again...
  9. ProShow Gold 3.0.1942 is an excellent program for creating movies, VCD's, DVD's, CD's, WebSlideShows, Executables etc. And yes, you can put your vids on a DVD with it. It's even possible to create your own menu and to put text in your videos...

The program is not free but you can e-mail me, because I have a full version
    For now, you can download the 15-day trial at www.photodex.com. (Which you need anyway if you want the full version). Mail me if you're interested:

casper1512@gmail.com
  10. Originally posted by MWSAHProShow Gold 3.0.1942 is an excellent program for creating movies, VCD's, DVD's, CD's, WebSlideShows, Executables etc. And yes, you can put your vids on a DVD with it. It's even possible to create your own menu and to put text in your videos...

The program is not free but you can e-mail me, because I have a full version
    For now, you can download the 15-day trial at www.photodex.com. (Which you need anyway if you want the full version). Mail me if you're interested:

casper1512@gmail.com

THANK YOU!
    But before contacting you I'd like to know something more about this program: how much time does it usually take to burn a DVD by first converting the .avi file? If it's the same as Nero or something very close... I think I'm not interested.

Thanks!
  11. Originally posted by yeahIf your DVD-player supports divx or xvid then there's no need to convert the videos to DVD. Just burn them as data and the player will play them.
    A big LOL is neccesary here. So I've been burning all this AVI concerts in 6 hours for nothing??? I'm a fucking fool...
    Originally posted by yeahIf you reconvert your avi to vob files, you'll lose quality again...
    True... I'm a fucking fool x2...
  12. You don't have to convert the avi. It can be compared with Nero Slideshow but it is much much better. The vids I made for Youtube are also made with it. Just open the avi, drag and drop it in the timeline and create a DVD(where you can add a menu etc.) I'll post a screenshot within a few minutes!