1. Originally posted by RUMMYFBDO is a classic for us thirty (anfdforty) year olds.

Watch Ides of March last night. Not too bad at all.

Once they leave the car at the car park, it becomes a funny film The phone conversation between Mr Rooney and Cameron is pretty funny too!
  2. a quick recap of the Best picture Oscar nominees I'v eseen so far:
    Money Ball - Horrible, only gets a nom in a down year to hope the sports going audience watches the show
    Midnight in Paris - not bad, but not a top 15 woody allen movie IMO
    Tree of Life - not really a movie, but I dug it - it starts really slow but then they show 15 straight minutes of shots of deep Space, which sucked me right in - it would never be nominated in the years past when only 5 movies get a nom.
    Hugo - of course the director has special nomination privelages, but it is a really well done movie with an unconventional plot. A must see in a 3D theater.
    The Help - this is the favorite in the clubhouse for me, its just a note perfect movie, though a little too bland as far as story telling - if it wins it probably isn't in the bottom 5 of winners in the last 25 years, but certainly not in the top 15 either.
    I will see the rest over the next month and post some reviews.
  3. Originally posted by iTim[..]

Once they leave the car at the car park, it becomes a funny film The phone conversation between Mr Rooney and Cameron is pretty funny too!

Jeanie (and Shaunna..."Shaunna") is the most underrated part of the movie, she has the best lines noone repeats anymore - "Dry that one out and you could fertilize the lawn" - and her fight with Rooney in their house is the biggest laugh in the movie
  4. I've seen none of the nominated films yet:

The Artist, The Descendants, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, The Help, Hugo, Midnight in Paris, Moneyball, The Tree of Life, War Horse

Wanted to see The Descendents though, trailer looked pretty good. Out of the list, I'd say War Horse has been the most raved about film.
  5. I've seen Moneyball (I'm a baseball fan and a numbers person so, naturally, I reallly liked it), Midnight in Paris (not bad), The Help (predicted the supporting actress awards back in Sept), and The Descendents (good but may up being the weakest best picture winner in a long time).
  6. "Paths of Glory" (1957)
  7. Inglourious Bastards and Super 8

Like both
  8. The Wrestler

First time I'd seen it, only wanted to see it because of the Bruce Springsteen connection. It was a little slow in places but on the whole it was quite touching.
  9. "3 Women" (1977)

... Uh ... um ... yeah.
  10. Originally posted by ReclinerMan"Paths of Glory" (1957)

God Almighty, that's a movie and a half, isn't it? I saw The Muppets with the boys the other night. A perfect family movie, perfectly pitched for kids and adults alike. I laughed like a twat all the way through. Absolutely brillliant. Great songs, too. "Man or Muppet" is going to win an Oscar. Wonderful stuff.
  11. Super 8 - well done on the technical side of things but the plot had a few holes (just like the tv series Lost)
  12. Watched "Moon" last night. Was a really weird movie about someone living on the moon alone for 3 years till he goes insane and finds clones of himself!!. I thought it was alright. Found a movie with so few actors boring and the environments were bland.
    When I realised how dull it was I was so far in that I wanted to see the end otherwise I would have turned it off.