1. Just to follow up from above I think I'm going to go through the albums and give them a rating in % based on how I rate each individual song out of 10. I've actually started enjoying October a bit more in the last few days, certainly easy enough for me to listen to but not amongst my favourites so my score might seem harsh but it's no Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree for me. I'd give it 59%.
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:Just to follow up from above I think I'm going to go through the albums and give them a rating in % based on how I rate each individual song out of 10. I've actually started enjoying October a bit more in the last few days, certainly easy enough for me to listen to but not amongst my favourites so my score might seem harsh but it's no Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree for me. I'd give it 59%.
    I did something similar but also with "coeficient" how I rate whole album (to me album is not just collection of songs, but take it as whole thing also)
  3. to me this album is underrated.......
  4. October usually comes out as one of my two lowest-ranked U2 albums, and I always feel really bad about that, because it is a really good second album. October is, in places, one of U2's most adventurous records and I think that's not something that's talked about enough. It's almost an NLOTH situation - some songs that feel very like very natural follow-ups to the previous album, and then several that feel completely alien.

Can you imagine Fez or Cedars of Lebanon on HTDAAB? Can you imagine Tomorrow or Scarlet on Boy?
  5. To get maximum effect, listen to Boy, then October... back-to-back. One epic double concept album. To me anyway.
  6. Also listened to the full album today (Boy yesterday) and Rejoice is my favourite song on the album.
  7. Really great tour that went with the album
  8. October? Only time I've ever seen U2 as an opener... for J Geils Band!
  9. The Lido Beach October show is one of the best U2 bootlegs. What an amazing show. Definitely one of the first stops I'd take if I could go back to see concerts from the past.
  10. I like October as in there's no U2 album that I dislike.

But I can't help but to think that this is an album with a good bunch of demos... great demos if you like, but demos.
    Stranger in a Strange Land comes to mind immediately. Great beginning, but then it feels to me like they didn't knew what else with this song.
    I Fall Down, they shouldn't drop the guitar, the live versions with the guitar imho sounded better than the studio version, which I'm thinking it was a bit rushed.
    Is That All? no, really, is that all you could make with The Cry? it had more potential, imho.

I've learned to love I Threw a Brick, basically because I love it live, but I still think it had a chance of being a bit better if they had worked on it for a bit longer.

Still, I like the album, but either because of Bonk's portfolio or for Shalom or for whatever reason, but it feels a bit undercooked to me.