1. Had my Chromebook all boxed up to bring back the shop with a defect. It completely froze and locked up every 10 minutes requiring a reboot. Some google searching revealed a quirk with some ISP's DNS settings. Have switched this to Goggle's own and the problem has gone away. Very happy now.
  2. Well, HP are gonna send a box for me to ship it to them after something like five system recoveries resulting in about two hours of usage leading to another recovery.

3. Hehe
  4. Nice. Not for me though. That market is still too young.
  5. Can't really see the point of one of those. It takes about two seconds to get your smartphone out of your pocket.
  6. Hey Gerard, just curious as to how you're liking the chromebook? I have a PC I built and a smartphone, and have kicked around the idea of getting a tablet for a while, but all I want is something that'll let me type stuff (often write lyrics and blog posts) and surf the internet.

The chromebooks seem slick and affordable and I'm just curious what you think about em.
  7. I'm loving mine and haven't missed my tablet one bit so far. It all comes down to use case. I wasn't a regular windows or Mac user so there's nothing that I've sacrificed by getting a Chromebook.

I hear they can be limiting for offline use so again it's something to consider depending on where you will be using it.

I'm Hally to answer any more specific questions. It is a lot more 'normal' to use than some would have you believe.
  8. Originally posted by germcevoy:I'm loving mine and haven't missed my tablet one bit so far. It all comes down to use case. I wasn't a regular windows or Mac user so there's nothing that I've sacrificed by getting a Chromebook.

I hear they can be limiting for offline use so again it's something to consider depending on where you will be using it.

I'm Hally to answer any more specific questions. It is a lot more 'normal' to use than some would have you believe.

Right on.

I mean the big cons for tablets for me have always been:
    -my smartphone can do everything this can do
    -there's no keyboard

And that's basically it. And like I said, I have a PC that I built which suits all of those Windows needs. I'm just looking for something I can sort of keep notes on, check email, surf the web, even use the chromecast I just bought with (even though my smartphone does that ). The biggest plus for me right now is that it's super affordable.

I guess my questions may be:
    -What's the OS like? Hard to use? Easy to use? Barely need to use it at all?
    -How fast is it? I know most of them have a pretty small hard drive (like 16GB) and I'm wondering if just a few downloads will bog that baby down a little bit.
    -Just for something like writing notes, is it as easy as downloading a word processing google app and typing away and saving it as a doc?

I'm sure I had a few more but that's all I can think of for now. Thanks for the help!
  9. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

Right on.

I mean the big cons for tablets for me have always been:
    -my smartphone can do everything this can do
    -there's no keyboard

And that's basically it. And like I said, I have a PC that I built which suits all of those Windows needs. I'm just looking for something I can sort of keep notes on, check email, surf the web, even use the chromecast I just bought with (even though my smartphone does that ). The biggest plus for me right now is that it's super affordable.

I guess my questions may be:
    -What's the OS like? Hard to use? Easy to use? Barely need to use it at all?
    -How fast is it? I know most of them have a pretty small hard drive (like 16GB) and I'm wondering if just a few downloads will bog that baby down a little bit.
    -Just for something like writing notes, is it as easy as downloading a word processing google app and typing away and saving it as a doc?

I'm sure I had a few more but that's all I can think of for now. Thanks for the help!

The OS has no learning curve. Since it's basically a Chrome browser you should feel right at home/ It does have a dock for your apps but these simply launch as new chrome windows or tabs. Even the laptop settings are in a chrome browser. The only thing to get used to are the track pad gestures, otherwise you just pick it up and go.

I'm using an Acer C720 and it flies. The general consensus is to go for an Intel running machine. I can have a dozen tabs running with music streaming and have no stutters whatsoever. Internal storage is limited but most Chromebooks run SSD's so lightning quick. The intention is to have everything backed up to Google drive and you normally get 100GB free with a Chromebook. As a media machine it might not be ideal to use cloud storage but it can be enough if you manage it closely.

For writing you are probably best with Google docs. You can try it out on your existing machine before buying a chromebook but it seems a good replacement to Microsoft word.
  10. Thanks for the info.

I'm torn! A lot of companies (Asus, HP) are releasing "chromebook killers" this holiday in the form of $199 laptops that support windows 8 and installing of actual programs and stuff. I suppose the only caveat is that they have pretty similar specs to the chromebooks, so installing a ton of software on them and trying to run it all probably wouldn't work that well anyway.

Decisions.
  11. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:Thanks for the info.

I'm torn! A lot of companies (Asus, HP) are releasing "chromebook killers" this holiday in the form of $199 laptops that support windows 8 and installing of actual programs and stuff. I suppose the only caveat is that they have pretty similar specs to the chromebooks, so installing a ton of software on them and trying to run it all probably wouldn't work that well anyway.

Decisions.

Buy a Chromebook from somewhere with easy returns. Amazon are fairly easy to deal with. Means you can try one for a week or so. Best thing to do though is to use the chrome browser exclusively for a while. If you find yourself being able to do everything on the web then definitely pull the plug on a Chromebook.

The 5 second boot up time is awesome. I'll never buy another Windows machine.
  12. Yeah, some retailers have a change of mind policy. I would suggest Tesco who offer 14 days but obviously you're from Canada so that isn't possible. Check some supermarkets over there who sell electronics, they might have a similar procedure.