1. Originally posted by KieranU2:[..]
    Yeah, thank the student loans... Even then, a Pixel is probably more worth it because in the end you're more financially stable.
    I might pull the plug one day but there are many more things ahead of it and this little Chromebook Flip is absolutely bossing it for £199. Especially now that it runs Android apps
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    I might pull the plug one day but there are many more things ahead of it and this little Chromebook Flip is absolutely bossing it for £199. Especially now that it runs Android apps
    Damn, should have just bought 6 of those
  3. Originally posted by germcevoy:Windows is a pain. Trying to give the girlfriends windows 7 laptop a spring clean. Restored to factory and I have installed only Chrome. At idle, from boot is it using 4.35gb of RAM (75%). Crazy. CPU spikes all over the place. Nothing obviously out of place in processes.

Maybe I'll buy her a Chromebook.
    There's something obviously wrong there. Fresh formatted computers are supposed to be fast and clean. Right, then they get crummed fairly easily and quickly but the first days after the format are always pleasant.
  4. Bought the Google Pixel XL a couple of days ago and I'm loving it!! Never seen anything this smooth!
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    There's something obviously wrong there. Fresh formatted computers are supposed to be fast and clean. Right, then they get crummed fairly easily and quickly but the first days after the format are always pleasant.
    More digging required. It should not be using so much RAM at idle.
  6. It sure shouldn't. Did the factory reset delete all her files or just the software while keeping the files? I'm pretty sure there must be a worm/trojan/whatever somewhere. A full format (not pre-installed factory resets) would def. fix it imo
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It sure shouldn't. Did the factory reset delete all her files or just the software while keeping the files? I'm pretty sure there must be a worm/trojan/whatever somewhere. A full format (not pre-installed factory resets) would def. fix it imo
    Yup I had it delete all files and data during the reset to factory settings.

Chromebooks are better I tell ye.
  8. Anyone here has experience with Asus ZenBooks? They are supposedly one of the best laptops out there, with all the best features of the MacBooks but half the price. Super light too.
  9. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:Anyone here has experience with Asus ZenBooks? They are supposedly one of the best laptops out there, with all the best features of the MacBooks but half the price. Super light too.
    I can only say good things about my Asus R510JF, which I got a few months back. I considered a Zenbook3 but it was 200 bucks more expensive and I need the bigger 15.6" screen, the 12.5" was way too small. But yeah I had one in my hands and it felt superb, so if you find a good offer and you don't care about the tablet-like size, I guess you just can't go wrong.
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I can only say good things about my Asus R510JF, which I got a few months back. I considered a Zenbook3 but it was 200 bucks more expensive and I need the bigger 15.6" screen, the 12.5" was way too small. But yeah I had one in my hands and it felt superb, so if you find a good offer and you don't care about the tablet-like size, I guess you just can't go wrong.
    I bought a refurbished HP laptop in 2015 for a very cheap price and now I regret it. I have bought refurbished electronics before and never had a problem, I guess it's like playing Russian roulette.
    Because of that experience I don't want to buy HP anymore. I had very good experiences with my previous Dell laptop, which lasted me 8 years.
    I guess I just wanted to know if the Asus brand is reliable. You're right, 13" is a deal breaker for me, but there are other sweet Asus 15.6" laptops for $500 or $600.
  11. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    I bought a refurbished HP laptop in 2015 for a very cheap price and now I regret it. I have bought refurbished electronics before and never had a problem, I guess it's like playing Russian roulette.
    Because of that experience I don't want to buy HP anymore. I had very good experiences with my previous Dell laptop, which lasted me 8 years.
    I guess I just wanted to know if the Asus brand is reliable. You're right, 13" is a deal breaker for me, but there are other sweet Asus 15.6" laptops for $500 or $600.
    Yes, mine was around 500€ and it's the best spent money in a good while. I have had Toshiba, HP and Dell laptops (and now this Asus, a brand I had never tried before) and I had always liked HP best, but it's really a lottery or, like you say, Russian roulette. Both with refurbished and new products, you can get a dud or a jewel, you never know...

Except with Acer laptops. They're all duds