1. Originally posted by drewhigginsThe first question: are you using Windows, Mac or Linux? That way I can narrow down what you could use (I have used all three and find Linux best for CD burning, simply because of k3b). Mac is pretty good for multimedia (Final Cut Pro, iTunes, iLife, QuickTime...). Others could give you a better description on that as I don't primarily use a Mac).

For most shows you'll need two CDs (anywhere after the Joshua Tree shows). One CD contains from 650-800MB which is about 80mins of MP3s and most shows are more than two hours so two CDs needed for that. You can burn audio DVDs but they require a lot more work but the benefit is that they're eight-ten times the size of a typical CD-R so you can fit a lot more audio on them. The gap is harder to keep as MP3s don't natively support the gaps. FLAC and other lossless formats (not natively supported by Windows) does but not MP3 because it introduces two-seconds from that so you'll hear either a blip or silence for 2 seconds.

You can get either iTunes 7.5 from www.apple.com/itunes (for Windows and Mac) or Windows Media Player 10/11 (Windows) from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia. Nero 7 can be downloaded as a trial for Windows and Linux from www.nero.com which does a great job, but costs a packet to buy. I also like CDburnerXP from http://www.cdburnerxp.se for Windows.

Read the help guide of your program too and that should give you some hints.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/burn_how_to.aspx
    http://www.gnutellaforums.com/tips-tricks/64549-making-audio-cd-using-nero-7-nero-express.html

Also you can check out some of the premier forums on all things optical:

CDfreaks: http://www.cdfreaks.com/
    AfterDawn: http://www.afterdawn.com/
    XPmediacentre: http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/

I use a PC with Windows, and I've got both Windows Media Player and iTunes. When I tried to burn the CD the first time, when I hit "extract" for the specific file to my CD drive with a blank CD already in, it said it didn't recognize that specific path and couldn't burn the CD. Now I'm going to try it through both iTunes and Media Player, using your websites above. though, so it should hopefully work. Thank you so much for your help!
  2. Originally posted by drewhiggins[..]

Just don't go selling something you got for free on eBay or something like that. Sharing, burning to disc, playing in your car, putting on your MP3 players is fine. That's why CD covers and the MP3s are provided - and there wouldn't be sites like u2torrents.

Cool. I'm completely new to bootlegging, so I just wanted to make sure.
  3. Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2[..]

I use a PC with Windows, and I've got both Windows Media Player and iTunes. When I tried to burn the CD the first time, when I hit "extract" for the specific file to my CD drive with a blank CD already in, it said it didn't recognize that specific path and couldn't burn the CD. Now I'm going to try it through both iTunes and Media Player, using your websites above. though, so it should hopefully work. Thank you so much for your help!

If you use iTunes then you should be able to do it in 3 steps:-

1. Make a playlist of appropriate length (usually between 14-18 tracks dependant on length) running for about 1.2 hours

2. Load a new CD-R in your disc drive

3. Wait for it to settle (click no action if it asks you) and then click on Burn Disc in the bottom right corner of your iTunes window. It will scan your playlist to make sure it's not too long (if it does it will ask if you want to make multiple discs - this is up to you) then start burning. Hey presto!

Hopefully it should be that simple. There are options as to gaps on the CD under the Preferences option in the iTunes menu, but let's get you burning a disc successfully first!!
  4. Originally posted by djrlewis[..]

If you use iTunes then you should be able to do it in 3 steps:-

1. Make a playlist of appropriate length (usually between 14-18 tracks dependant on length) running for about 1.2 hours

2. Load a new CD-R in your disc drive

3. Wait for it to settle (click no action if it asks you) and then click on Burn Disc in the bottom right corner of your iTunes window. It will scan your playlist to make sure it's not too long (if it does it will ask if you want to make multiple discs - this is up to you) then start burning. Hey presto!

Hopefully it should be that simple. There are options as to gaps on the CD under the Preferences option in the iTunes menu, but let's get you burning a disc successfully first!!

iTunes says it does not recognize the file type. All my bootlegs are still in the .rar form; do I have to convert them to mp3s to burn them?
  5. Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2[..]

iTunes says it does not recognize the file type. All my bootlegs are still in the .rar form; do I have to convert them to mp3s to burn them?

Hi man. I think your problem is just a couple of missing steps. This is how you can do it:

1. Download the boot from Rapidshare or elsewhere into your PC (desk, C, my documents or where is more confortable for you).

2. Then extract the rar file in C, desk or my documents AGAIN. Extract files are already mp3, you just needed to unzip them.

3. When you get the unrared files, select them all. Push right button of your mouse. Select the option SEND. Then select CD-RW. If you're usin' windows, this will send the files into the CD unit and you'll be able to burn files without opening an audio program.

5. A new window will open. You'll see all the files you previouslky selected, but in yopur right you'll see the "burn this files in a CD option". Click there.

6. That will open your burning CD's tutelar. Just follow instructions to burn the disc. You have the option of burning as audio files or data files. In this last case, a whole concert can make it into a single CD since it is mp3.

Actually it is easier than it reads. Hope it helps.
  6. See below for the Guide to RAR Extraction I just created.
  7. Another step-by-step guide - this time to extracting files from RapidShare and MegaUpload:

Make sure you have WinRAR from rarlabs.com. 3.96 is the latest version.

Download the bootleg from RapidShare and save it to your Desktop.

1. Double-click the RAR file you downloaded. Press the Close button to continue.

2. Double-click the folder (there might be one or two):

3. Right-click the first MP3 and choose Extract to specified folder.

4. Click Desktop on the right-hand side with Destination path saying /Desktop and press OK.

5. You should then see the file extracting as shown below. When it's done you'll hear a sound.

6. The MP3 or file then appears in a folder like magic. In this case it ended up in a folder on the Desktop.

7. Double-click the file and it should start playing or add it to iTunes, Foobar2000, MediaCenter...

8. PERFECT! Works absolutely fine now! I was missing that step where you extract the .rar files onto your desktop. I'm officially a dumbass. Also one of those people who enjoys colorful pictures to understand things. Thank you so much for all the help! I'm burning PopMart Mexico right now...
  9. Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2PERFECT! Works absolutely fine now! I was missing that step where you extract the .rar files onto your desktop. I'm officially a dumbass. Also one of those people who enjoys colorful pictures to understand things. Thank you so much for all the help! I'm burning PopMart Mexico right now...

Hey, we all started somewhere. Good to know you understand now. If you need any more help just ask.
  10. Originally posted by drewhiggins[..]

Hey, we all started somewhere. Good to know you understand now. If you need any more help just ask.

Thanks so much!
  11. Originally posted by drewhiggins[..]

That's a bloody good guide Drew. We should make this one sticky too......