1. I'm writing a presentation for english - one topic is about the outward appearance and behaviour of a rockband on one hand, and on the other the religious topics and political engagement.

I'd like to ask you whether you care about this and think they are successful ? (Examples?)
    Or are you completely desinterested? Why?
    Is there a conflict between the behaviour of a rockband and the religious topics ?

thx

2. You mean what I personally think of u2's religious and political topics in songs and whether I support their approach in spreading it in a musical way, eg. the whole political section in the Vertigo Tour shows ?
  3. Jepp.
  4. not Rockband vs Religion, Rockband = Religion
  5. Originally posted by RattiJepp.

well, one of the two main reasons why i love u2 so much is their political, social and religious awareness....and that they are not afraid to express it in their kind of way.
  6. I love U2 for many reasons. I know Led Zeppelin was great, and The Police, Dire Straits, Queen..you name it. But U2 is special, because of their own 'style' of music, their energy, their political commitment and religious lyrics/subjects.
  7. I think that things can work together, like on U2 and many other bands...or can be opposites like in black metal music.
  8. to like U2 music without connecting to their religious beliefs is to appreciate really good music and there's nothing wrong with that. to like U2 music and also to understand the message that goes along with it, will change your life.

9. I'm a Christian. I believe that God has a calling for every one. He wants to be loved and he wants us humans to love one another (Luke 10,27). This means he longs to be worshipped (Luke 4,8), but it also includes charitiy and social work (Psalm 82,3).

I also believe God gives gifts to achieve what he wants (1st Corinthians 12,4-7). The guys from U2 have the gift to create creative music - it's from God, they should use it. Just as David did (Psalm 150). Or Bach. As long as you don't steal, murder or betray your wife in what you think, say and do, you're allowed to dress and behave like a rock star. Paul encouraged us to assimilate culturally (1st Corinthians 9,20-22).

I don't believe in religion. Religion is just a set of man- made rules telling you how to dress, act and behave (Mark 7). Religion causes spiritual death (2nd Corinthians 3,6). I believe in the living loving spirit of God that's just as real as the air I breathe. This spirit fills my existence with life.

As long as the mind and soul are radically following the spirit, there can be nothing wrong (Matthew 6,33). Of course, everyone fails from time to time, but we get up again (Proverbs 24,16). We don't even have to follow exactly the same theological doctrine: All knowledge is incomplete (1st Corinthians 13,9). Bono's got his calling, I've got mine. We're brothers. I love to watch my brothers moving in their calling. They make this world a better place - more Jesus, less religion, more charity. That's why I love U2 more than a lot of other bands.

Alex
  10. Originally posted by AlexI'm a Christian. I believe that God has a calling for every one. He wants to be loved and he wants us humans to love one another (Luke 10,27). This means he longs to be worshipped (Luke 4,8), but it also includes charitiy and social work (Psalm 82,3).

I also believe God gives gifts to achieve what he wants (1st Corinthians 12,4-7). The guys from U2 have the gift to create creative music - it's from God, they should use it. Just as David did (Psalm 150). Or Bach. As long as you don't steal, murder or betray your wife in what you think, say and do, you're allowed to dress and behave like a rock star. Paul encouraged us to assimilate culturally (1st Corinthians 9,20-22).

I don't believe in religion. Religion is just a set of man- made rules telling you how to dress, act and behave (Mark 7). Religion causes spiritual death (2nd Corinthians 3,6). I believe in the living loving spirit of God that's just as real as the air I breathe. This spirit fills my existence with life.

As long as the mind and soul are radically following the spirit, there can be nothing wrong (Matthew 6,33). Of course, everyone fails from time to time, but we get up again (Proverbs 24,16). We don't even have to follow exactly the same theological doctrine: All knowledge is incomplete (1st Corinthians 13,9). Bono's got his calling, I've got mine. We're brothers. I love to watch my brothers moving in their calling. They make this world a better place - more Jesus, less religion, more charity. That's why I love U2 more than a lot of other bands.

Alex

Amen
  11. Originally posted by AlexI'm a Christian. I believe that God has a calling for every one. He wants to be loved and he wants us humans to love one another (Luke 10,27). This means he longs to be worshipped (Luke 4,8), but it also includes charitiy and social work (Psalm 82,3).

As long as the mind and soul are radically following the spirit, there can be nothing wrong (Matthew 6,33). Of course, everyone fails from time to time, but we get up again (Proverbs 24,16). We don't even have to follow exactly the same theological doctrine: All knowledge is incomplete (1st Corinthians 13,9). Bono's got his calling, I've got mine. We're brothers. I love to watch my brothers moving in their calling. They make this world a better place - more Jesus, less religion, more charity.

Alex

Completely agree.
  12. Originally posted by AlexI'm a Christian. I believe that God has a calling for every one. He wants to be loved and he wants us humans to love one another (Luke 10,27). This means he longs to be worshipped (Luke 4,8), but it also includes charitiy and social work (Psalm 82,3).

Alex

I know I'm the third one to quote you but as a non-practicing agnostic I just felt the urge to say that you've got closer to making me go back to church with that post than anyone or anything else has in the last 20 years. You know and truly believe in your stuff. Fantastic.

I'm going to sleep now with a sound mind and some very nice thoughts.