1. Nice topic, I love to see fans talking about U2's beliefs

I'm a christian too, so I agree with everything that Alex said. Thanks Alex!
    I think their music has a spirit, it changed the way I look at the world, changed my life.
    U2's a very brave band, cos making a record about God, like October, can be risky.
    According to James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world." , so I suppose that they're in the right way, mainly Bono.
    The main reason why I love this band is the connection betwween faith and rock'n'roll
  2. Originally posted by loftarasaYou mean what I personally think of u2's religious and political topics in songs and whether I support their approach in spreading it in a musical way, eg. the whole political section in the Vertigo Tour shows ?

*NOTE*

U2 is on the lines of being anti religion. They are not supportive of religion and are bordline against it...in there words "religion gets in the way of God"
  3. Originally posted by paolom3[..]

*NOTE*

U2 is on the lines of being anti religion. They are not supportive of religion and are bordline against it...in there words "religion gets in the way of God"

seems i didn't make myself clear, of course i agree with you! with "religion" i rather meant "i believe that there's a god etc."
  4. I know that listening to U2 has awaken the beliefs I have had inside me laying dormant. But I have no desire to go back to church. (I was brought up as a Catholic).
    The music of U2 is my church, and the connection with God that I now feel is stronger than I have ever felt before. But what is even better is the excitement inside me while I am feeling that connection.
    It's not a dull God that dwells within me or a revengeful God, it's a God of passion.
    I think that with U2 music it's very important to realise that it's there for you whether or not you have any beliefs. Bono once said :-
    "We've found different ways of expressing it, and recognized the power of the media to manipulate such signs. Maybe we just have to sort of draw our fish in the sand. It's there for people who are interested. It shouldn't be there for people who aren't." -- Bono on faith, quoted in "U2 at the End of the World"
    The fish in the sand was used in early Christian times when they were being persecuted.
    One believer would draw an arc in the sand and if someone came along that was against them they would not recognise the symbol and would think nothing of it. But if a fellow Christian came by he would complete the fish with the other arc.
  5. Great answers, thanks a lot !
  6. I have drifted back to this forum tonight and have realised that people who have taken an interest in this subject would, I am sure could give a very valuable contribution to the 'Meanings of Lyrics Round table'. Please visit and join in for our views and your very valuable opinions. Also it's just good fun.
    Are U2 just another rock band???? I really don't think so. Do you???

7. Originally posted by AlexI'm a Christian. I believe that God has a calling for every one. He wants to be loved and he wants us humans to love one another (Luke 10,27). This means he longs to be worshipped (Luke 4,8), but it also includes charitiy and social work (Psalm 82,3).

I also believe God gives gifts to achieve what he wants (1st Corinthians 12,4-7). The guys from U2 have the gift to create creative music - it's from God, they should use it. Just as David did (Psalm 150). Or Bach. As long as you don't steal, murder or betray your wife in what you think, say and do, you're allowed to dress and behave like a rock star. Paul encouraged us to assimilate culturally (1st Corinthians 9,20-22).

I don't believe in religion. Religion is just a set of man- made rules telling you how to dress, act and behave (Mark 7). Religion causes spiritual death (2nd Corinthians 3,6). I believe in the living loving spirit of God that's just as real as the air I breathe. This spirit fills my existence with life.

As long as the mind and soul are radically following the spirit, there can be nothing wrong (Matthew 6,33). Of course, everyone fails from time to time, but we get up again (Proverbs 24,16). We don't even have to follow exactly the same theological doctrine: All knowledge is incomplete (1st Corinthians 13,9). Bono's got his calling, I've got mine. We're brothers. I love to watch my brothers moving in their calling. They make this world a better place - more Jesus, less religion, more charity. That's why I love U2 more than a lot of other bands.

Alex

I am no. 4.... and may God bless you in your witness, I also completely agree.
  8. "God makes his second-biggest appearance on Pop. It should have been called Shouting at God".