1. Having fallen in love with it again, and tried to get hold of various versions of it over the years, I was wondering which version people prefer? The album version or one of the various live versions that it's undergone? When I first heard the Vertigo tour arrangement I thought it was the best, partly because I was going through a phase where I was in love with my electro-acoustic and Edge does the lead guitar part on his Variax line 6, but comparing it to the ZooTV version I'm starting to waver. I used to really really like the Elevation form too, but I don't think it works with the one guitar and Bono doing all the vox, which was probably why he admitted it took them 15 years to get it right as they saw it.

Thoughts people?

Call it a bit of a random perusal of thought, but I have these moments lol...
  2. Originally posted by WojBhoyHaving fallen in love with it again, and tried to get hold of various versions of it over the years, I was wondering which version people prefer? The album version or one of the various live versions that it's undergone? When I first heard the Vertigo tour arrangement I thought it was the best, partly because I was going through a phase where I was in love with my electro-acoustic and Edge does the lead guitar part on his Variax line 6, but comparing it to the ZooTV version I'm starting to waver. I used to really really like the Elevation form too, but I don't think it works with the one guitar and Bono doing all the vox, which was probably why he admitted it took them 15 years to get it right as they saw it.

Thoughts people?

Personally I love the Elevation version with that quieter intro. Very mysterious.

"You walk out into the sports hall...."
  3. I love the album version with Bono just softly singing the lyrics. Great stuff. ZooTV versions are a little too standard by my liking but they are hard to fault. I'm not massively keen on Vertigo performances (Bono didn't put in the vocal effort) but Elevation is awesome I feel.

Check 1992-05-22 - Milan and listen to the crowd outsing Edge on the chorus. Wow
  4. Originally posted by WojBhoyHaving fallen in love with it again, and tried to get hold of various versions of it over the years, I was wondering which version people prefer? The album version or one of the various live versions that it's undergone? When I first heard the Vertigo tour arrangement I thought it was the best, partly because I was going through a phase where I was in love with my electro-acoustic and Edge does the lead guitar part on his Variax line 6, but comparing it to the ZooTV version I'm starting to waver. I used to really really like the Elevation form too, but I don't think it works with the one guitar and Bono doing all the vox, which was probably why he admitted it took them 15 years to get it right as they saw it.

Thoughts people?

Don't know anything about guitars, but I still love the Zoo TV ones and Elevation. Vertigo was a bit too flat for me and less energetic..
  5. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

Don't know anything about guitars, but I still love the Zoo TV ones and Elevation. Vertigo was a bit too flat for me and less energetic..

I used to agree, but U23D changed my opinion. Can't hear Vertigo versions (or any version, for that matter!) without imagining those cascading numbers & letters...
  6. Elevation>Album>Vertigo>ZooTV

for me. But I like all the versions so this is all relative.

Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go, gotta go....
  7. the best version of the fly ive heard is from brazil, sao paulo 20/2/06, with bono's intro!
  8. The Elevation-version is easily the best version, that intro sends me shivers...
    ZooTV and Vertigo are tied for me.
  9. Originally posted by MirrorballBoyThe Elevation-version is easily the best version, that intro sends me shivers...

Indeed. I remember being blown away when they broke that into out when I saw it live.
  10. Originally posted by haytrain[..]

Indeed. I remember being blown away when they broke that into out when I saw it live.

I remember thinking "no, it can't be, surely... bloody hell, it is. Oh YES!!!"
  11. One of the rare occasions where I'd say that they nailed the song on the Vertigo tour. Love how Larry makes the speakers burst.

Check the 2nd Milan show 1992, Berlin 2001, Anaheim II 2005 for 3 great but different versions.
  12. Originally posted by haytrain[..]

Personally I love the Elevation version with that quieter intro. Very mysterious.

"You walk out into the sports hall...."

Ah yeah, I love the intro, but I prefer it when Edge uses more Wah and Bono does the rhythm, think it works better. But I have to say that you're right about that part of the Elevation version...

I think I'd probably go Vertigo<ZooTV<Elevation<album (1st<4th), although I think all the versions have their merits. I just think it's a shame they never played it in the PopMart tour