1. ...anyone else know of/like them? Scottish folk rock set-up, been around for years, supported U2 at Murrayfield in 1987, if that rings any bells for people...

I was inspired to bring to them up because of a topic concerning the 1000 greatest albums of all time or something like that elsewhere on here, and I just thought "Amazing Things", by Runrig, is one of the greatest albums I've ever listened too. It's an early '90s album, around the same time as Achtung Baby and Zooropa, and to me has a similar feel to AB, it's so epic.

Anywho, I won't go on because I fear I'll start rambling (!) but yeah, if you want to get your teeth into something different, check 'em out

PS - their lead guitarist Malcolm Jones is AMAZING. For reference, the final track on the Amazing Things album is an instrumental called "On The Edge" - I don't think you'll hear a more atmospheric piece of guitar work EVER...
  2. They're not bad at all. Two videos for those interested...

3. Drew, you come across them before then? Or just gone looking now? Glad you like 'em either way
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWITpFB0eyw&feature=related

Here's one of my favourites, one of their older songs but still a classic, have seen this live in acoustic form, brilliant. I've seen them 4 or 5 times now on various tours in the last 5 years or so, always brilliant I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn95pPlq6So and that's the instrumental song I was talking about. Sends shivers down my spine... (if you want a live version here it be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvAhjEPbVps - having just watched it through, the lvie version I mean, I'm really irritated that the vid. cuts out just as they kick into another of their best songs, Protect and Survive...)
  5. Originally posted by WojBhoyDrew, you come across them before then? Or just gone looking now? Glad you like 'em either way

They sound familiar - I don't know where from though.

But they are good.
  6. Indeed they're good...gonna look for them on the net..
  7. Originally posted by MWSAHIndeed they're good...gonna look for them on the net..

I'd recommend albums like "Amazing Things", "Stamping Ground" and "Cutter and the Clan" to get a really good feel of their stuff...
  8. Originally posted by WojBhoy[..]

I'd recommend albums like "Amazing Things", "Stamping Ground" and "Cutter and the Clan" to get a really good feel of their stuff...

Thnx!
    What about Everything You See?
  9. Originally posted by MWSAH[..]

Thnx!
    What about Everything You See?

Ah yeah actually I would recommend that too, it's their latest one and I think I just haven't listened to it enough yet but there are some classics on there, like "In Scandinavia" and "Road Trip". It's got some pretty meaty riffs to on stuff like "Atoms", "Sona" and "Clash of the Ash" whilst "Year of the Flood" live is a show opener on a par with Zoo Station and City of Blinding Lights

Basically, they're awesome lol in my opinion, some of their lyrics really are on a level with Bono
  10. Originally posted by WojBhoy[..]

Ah yeah actually I would recommend that too, it's their latest one and I think I just haven't listened to it enough yet but there are some classics on there, like "In Scandinavia" and "Road Trip". It's got some pretty meaty riffs to on stuff like "Atoms", "Sona" and "Clash of the Ash" whilst "Year of the Flood" live is a show opener on a par with Zoo Station and City of Blinding Lights

Basically, they're awesome lol in my opinion, some of their lyrics really are on a level with Bono

Cool, Everything You See is almost in... I'll let you know my opinions!
  11. Are there also any songs whit the Scottish Bagpipe?