1. Interesting indeed...be surprised if we anything new come out until JT Tour is done unless they drop Little Things on us as that has traction now maybe.
  2. Just heard 'Wild Honey' for the trailer to the new movie The Big Sick.
  3. Watching HBO doc called "The Defiant Ones"
    About Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine
    Part 2 has u2 portion when he meets them and does UBRS with them and later Rattle and Hum.
    Show out takes of RH and interviews w/ current Bono.
    Fascinating series
    4 parts total.
  4. I heard that yesterday, too! It sounded like a modified version of the one from ATYCLB.... But then again, I never listen to that song so who knows. Movie looked kind of cute though.
  5. http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/u2-plays-the-joshua-tree-outside-its-america?mbid=social_facebook

One person's perspective on the show she went to and her personal journey with the music. A valid, personal opinion, but the comments on Facebook are telling:

"Its your opinion!!Their ticket sales and jam packed arenas say different. They are incredible! you should have written a positive piece. it isnt about you!"

"Ridiculous and pathetic article, that's only her opinion... U2 is one the best bands in the whole world and their popularity demonstrates the opposite. People don't like U2 they LOVE it, and it's not just about the music, it's about the band's energy, their exemplary thought provoking messages increase our awareness, and Bonos unrivaled dedication and commitment to altruism and to better the world, is nothing less than inspiring."

"I think the author doesn't deserve U2. It isn't about you: the songs you like and the ones that flew over your head... You never loved U2 if you pick the years you liked."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's two main elements to a concert - the band and the audience. How can you say "it's not about you?" I know this whole weird entitlement thing has been part of the conversation all along, but for some reason it's really getting to me this tour. Along with the whole GA line leader stuff, this idea of "you only deserve to like the band/be up close to them if you want it bad enough / love them unconditionally / don't ever criticize them" is insane. How can you constantly praise something and never see anything you disagree with? Isn't that what any quality band / song / piece of music does - creates actual discussion? You go through periods where you love the band, then you need a break, etc. - doesn't it get boring and slightly crazy if you love them all the time?
  6. Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2:http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/u2-plays-the-joshua-tree-outside-its-america?mbid=social_facebook

One person's perspective on the show she went to and her personal journey with the music. A valid, personal opinion, but the comments on Facebook are telling:

"Its your opinion!!Their ticket sales and jam packed arenas say different. They are incredible! you should have written a positive piece. it isnt about you!"

"Ridiculous and pathetic article, that's only her opinion... U2 is one the best bands in the whole world and their popularity demonstrates the opposite. People don't like U2 they LOVE it, and it's not just about the music, it's about the band's energy, their exemplary thought provoking messages increase our awareness, and Bonos unrivaled dedication and commitment to altruism and to better the world, is nothing less than inspiring."

"I think the author doesn't deserve U2. It isn't about you: the songs you like and the ones that flew over your head... You never loved U2 if you pick the years you liked."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's two main elements to a concert - the band and the audience. How can you say "it's not about you?" I know this whole weird entitlement thing has been part of the conversation all along, but for some reason it's really getting to me this tour. Along with the whole GA line leader stuff, this idea of "you only deserve to like the band/be up close to them if you want it bad enough / love them unconditionally / don't ever criticize them" is insane. How can you constantly praise something and never see anything you disagree with? Isn't that what any quality band / song / piece of music does - creates actual discussion? You go through periods where you love the band, then you need a break, etc. - doesn't it get boring and slightly crazy if you love them all the time?
    I don't think the write up is too bad at all, it does just highlight that basically she loved u2 up until Achtung baby when she went off them. The only argument I could make and it's nothing to do with entitlement or whatever but are you a fan of the band if you dislike so much of there work or are you just a fan of certain songs and certain albums? Its hard to define what a fan is, for example I like a lot of Radioheads early work but hate pretty much everything after kid a so I suppose I'm a fan of a few of there albums as opposed to a fan of Radiohead. The other argument as well when your giving a professional review is it kind of isn't about you. It's about how the band are performing how the songs are received etc. If I went to a Britney Spears concert (never going to happen) and had to give a professional review I can't really sit and give it 0/5 because I don't like her songs it's about the overall experience of the show putting yourself in others shoes. But again I don't feel like this person was giving an unnecessarily bad review or anything just being honest so fair enough.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I don't think the write up is too bad at all, it does just highlight that basically she loved u2 up until Achtung baby when she went off them. The only argument I could make and it's nothing to do with entitlement or whatever but are you a fan of the band if you dislike so much of there work or are you just a fan of certain songs and certain albums? Its hard to define what a fan is, for example I like a lot of Radioheads early work but hate pretty much everything after kid a so I suppose I'm a fan of a few of there albums as opposed to a fan of Radiohead. The other argument as well when your giving a professional review is it kind of isn't about you. It's about how the band are performing how the songs are received etc. If I went to a Britney Spears concert (never going to happen) and had to give a professional review I can't really sit and give it 0/5 because I don't like her songs it's about the overall experience of the show putting yourself in others shoes. But again I don't feel like this person was giving an unnecessarily bad review or anything just being honest so fair enough.
    No, I totally agree with you - it's a good write up of one person's journey with the band.

It's the comments that bother me. So for example, I personally don't really enjoy Zooropa - if I post that here, on a site dedicated to U2 fans, does that mean I'm automatically going to get chased off the site with pitchforks and torches? If you went onto a Radiohead site and said you don't like everything after Kid A, does that mean you don't deserve to listen to the band? Of course not.

Maybe I'm making too much out of this, but the whole "you can't criticize the things you love and if you do it means you don't really love them/don't deserve them" mindset is really bothersome to me, moreso lately.
  8. Originally posted by AllBecauseOfU2:[..]
    No, I totally agree with you - it's a good write up of one person's journey with the band.

It's the comments that bother me. So for example, I personally don't really enjoy Zooropa - if I post that here, on a site dedicated to U2 fans, does that mean I'm automatically going to get chased off the site with pitchforks and torches? If you went onto a Radiohead site and said you don't like everything after Kid A, does that mean you don't deserve to listen to the band? Of course not.

Maybe I'm making too much out of this, but the whole "you can't criticize the things you love and if you do it means you don't really love them/don't deserve them" mindset is really bothersome to me, moreso lately.
    No I don't think your making too much out of it. One thing about me is I do defend u2 pretty strongly but I like to debate it and I don't think there's anything wrong in a back and forth discussion about it. You've highlighted the kind of comments made on Facebook that are not really acceptable and unfair criticism on the review so I think your right to highlight that.
  9. Looking good for tonight