1. Originally posted by kezman:Why do U2 not play any Pop songs in their live sets anymore?
    It would be interesting to know how many have been included since the Popmart Tour (not snippets).
    I know Gone,Staring At The Sun and Discotheque were regulars during the Elevation Tour but they were also pretty new U2 songs at the time,since then though i struggle to remember many,Elevation is 15 years ago.
    2 full performances of Discotheque in Vertigo Toronto and Chicago, one acoustic performance of Staring at the Sun for the Clinton foundation in 2011 (don't know if this even counts) and that's it.
  2. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:[..]
    2 full performances of Discotheque in Vertigo Toronto and Chicago, one acoustic performance of Staring at the Sun for the Clinton foundation in 2011 (don't know if this even counts) and that's it.
    Pretty sad. Top 3 or 4 album for me. They rehearsed plenty for the Vertigo Tour, the snippet of Mofo on Youtube sounds like a monster, I don't know why they didn't play it
  3. Originally posted by thefly108:[..]
    Pretty sad. Top 3 or 4 album for me. They rehearsed plenty for the Vertigo Tour, the snippet of Mofo on Youtube sounds like a monster, I don't know why they didn't play it
    Exactly... Mofo from 2005 rehearsal sounds really great, very heavy... Also Discotheque from two shows in 2005 (Toronto/Chicago) is great. Especially the first one with Pop Muzik intro...
  4. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    Exactly... Mofo from 2005 rehearsal sounds really great, very heavy... Also Discotheque from two shows in 2005 (Toronto/Chicago) is great. Especially the first one with Pop Muzik intro...
    +1, and somewhere I read Lemon And Daddy's Gonna Pay were rehearsed. What a combo that would have been in the rotating slot, a 3-album theme.

Anyway, Pop really deserved a little attention. Mofo -> Disco -> Velvet Dress would have been incredible
  5. Originally posted by thefly108:[..]
    +1, and somewhere I read Lemon And Daddy's Gonna Pay were rehearsed. What a combo that would have been in the rotating slot, a 3-album theme.

Anyway, Pop really deserved a little attention. Mofo -> Disco -> Velvet Dress would have been incredible
    Yeah that's right. But they rather play Your Blue Room instead of these gems (nothing against Your Blue Room)
  6. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    Yeah that's right. But they rather play Your Blue Room instead of these gems (nothing against Your Blue Room)
    Blue Room and Zooropa were nice surprises on the 360 tour, but still, it's Pop and I feel like it's an abandoned puppy or something that the band dumped on the side of the road
  7. Originally posted by thefly108:[..]
    Blue Room and Zooropa were nice surprises on the 360 tour, but still, it's Pop and I feel like it's an abandoned puppy or something that the band dumped on the side of the road
    Yeah.. that means: Forget the Pop, We will rather play Passengers or covers than Pop. It's like they want to forget about the whole album and not think of it anymore...
  8. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    Yeah.. that means: Forget the Pop, We will rather play Passengers or covers than Pop. It's like they want to forget about the whole album and not think of it anymore...
    It's a shame too. That Mofo snippet in Iris was great on the I and E tour. Would've really been great with the whole Experience theme, much better that EBTTRT and MW (I Will Follow for innocence, Mofo for "experienced equivalent")

Discotheque would have been great paired with CB
  9. Originally posted by thefly108:[..]
    It's a shame too. That Mofo snippet in Iris was great on the I and E tour. Would've really been great with the whole Experience theme, much better that EBTTRT and MW (I Will Follow for innocence, Mofo for "experienced equivalent")

Discotheque would have been great paired with CB
    Yeah, I would love Please paired with Raised By The Wolves instead of SBS and Mofo or Lemon paired with Iris. Not really fan of CB
  10. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    Yeah, I would love Please paired with Raised By The Wolves instead of SBS and Mofo or Lemon paired with Iris. Not really fan of CB
    Agreed. Please would be incredible, SBS sounded rather weak this tour imo
  11. Someone help me understand why U2 did still play songs like Gone and Staring at the Sun fairly regularly on Elevation, with Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man thrown in once in a while, too. If they thought Pop was such a failure, why didn't they eliminate these songs from their set on the next tour immediately?
  12. Originally posted by bpt3:Someone help me understand why U2 did still play songs like Gone and Staring at the Sun fairly regularly on Elevation, with Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man thrown in once in a while, too. If they thought Pop was such a failure, why didn't they eliminate these songs from their set on the next tour immediately?
    I think because Discotheque was a recent hit, WUDM because of Bono's passing father, and maybe Gone and SATS because they were relatively well received. Interestingly, those two songs were the two of three Pop songs being reworked for the Best Of 1990-2000...