1. Originally posted by ahn1991:I listened to Pop again and I realized how much of it was a product of the time it was released. From the sound to the lyrics, the album definitely feels dated.

Excellent point. As opposed to AB which was also largely a product of the time, yet has withstood the test of time...

And again, I'm not bashing Pop... I just think that its not as timeless as AB, and factor in with that the fact that it ended up being a bitter pill for the band, and you have their reluctance to revisit, revision, revamp or resurrect it.
  2. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]

I think that was the problem only of the first leg - partly unprepared and partly prejudiced crowd... From second leg it became epic (including another NA leg).
    All (almost) people who complain about it attended first leg show...
    allways start your first leg in Europe!
  3. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    I can't see them playing it on JT17 tour... maybe e+i tour more likely (if anything from Pop will be played ever...)...

You people are so demanding! A mini-snippet of Miami isnt good enough for you?
  4. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    That's my thinking also, I still fancy discotheque and staring at the sun for the e&i tour. It's the two predictable songs from pop to play.

I would say Please would be more likely than Discotheque... but lets try to fit them in the theme of experience as well before we put them in e/i setlist, no?
  5. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]

Excellent point. As opposed to AB which was also largely a product of the time, yet has withstood the test of time...

And again, I'm not bashing Pop... I just think that its not as timeless as AB, and factor in with that the fact that it ended up being a bitter pill for the band, and you have their reluctance to revisit, revision, revamp or resurrect it.
    I really don't get that point.
    POP is timeless.
    I don't know what would be 'dated' about it. (well, except maybe from the phrase
    " Michael Jackson, history.."
  6. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]

Label mentality made all jobs "simple" unless you were a lazy executive.

Still, the job had its perks, I'm sure. When I left Warner Bros. and started to realize how much concerts cost when you had to buy tickets I was depressed.
    Well, I worked at a manufacturing plant - the thing that label guys were pushing behind their lazy desks...

These were still the days of "hit records" - basically a physical product, that needed to be in the shops yesterday,
    in order to sell today: that is was a hit-record, in case anyone was still wondering...

My day was good when I got the printed artwork from the printers right on time, with only a minimum of stock left
    when the hit was no more...

Ah...now you're getting my all nostalgic in the Pop thread
  7. Originally posted by BigGiRL:[..]
    Well, I worked at a manufacturing plant - the thing that label guys were pushing behind their lazy desks...

These were still the days of "hit records" - basically a physical product, that needed to be in the shops yesterday,
    in order to sell today: that is was a hit-record, in case anyone was still wondering...

My day was good when I got the printed artwork from the printers right on time, with only a minimum of stock left
    when the hit was no more...

Ah...now you're getting my all nostalgic in the Pop thread
    I started out in the warehouse distributing those hit records once we got them hot off the press from you.

But we should stop. We're dating ourselves. We should start a "remember when albums mattered and you needed a hit single on the radio to drive them?" thread...
  8. U2 played in Miami, which is really close to the statement "U2 wrote Miami." Pop included.