1. It seems that Death By Audio are discontinuing some versions of pedals, upgrading and re-releasing them. They've already discontinued, redesigned and re-released a few of them.

The Interstellar Overdrive Supreme (which Edge has) was later replaced by the Interstellar Overdrive Deluxe.

The Soundwave Breakdown (which Edge also has - He's got at least one of each of their pedals, per Dallas), has been redesigned and recently re-released with 3 knobs. For Soundwave Breakdown (version 2) DBA added a volume knob. (Previous version had in internal volume pot)

And today, I was looking at the Death By Audio site today and noticed that the Harmonic Transformer is no more.

Per the site: "WE ARE SORRY THIS PEDAL HAS BEEN DISCONTINNUED. STAY TUNED FOR A NEW VERSION OF THIS PEDAL COMING OUT LATER THIS YEAR!"

Will the new version be as good or better? Will The Edge use one? Only time can tell. So if you want the 'exact' Harmonic Transformer that The Edge has, you will have to get it on the used market.

Could be interesting.

I wonder if the DBA Supersonic Fuzz Gun and Harmonic Transformer pedals will continue in The Edge's arsenal or if they, like the Love Tone "Big Cheese" will turn out to be a one tour wonder.

2. So put the SD's on the neck or bridge?

I love the sound of the dirty fingers humbucker, so where would I place it?

3. truer words were never spoken. As far as digital units I actually think I would use some of the fractal audio stuff.
  4. The AxeFX is an awesome machine; there are great sounds are in there (somewhere) and I love tweaking presets and experimenting. But they seem to have a cult like following, which gets on my nerves sometimes.

Owners won't accept any criticism of the AxeFX, and won't accept that sometimes by giving up that last 5-10% of what the AxeFX can do and other FX can't, you could actually gain 50%-90% in terms of usability.

They won't accept that the hardware is not that advanced vs other multi FX:
    -just two multi purpose CPUs - same as Line6 uses,
    -a smaller 36bit signal path than some others (48bit),
    -questionable reliability in live settings (owners backing them up with cheaper units).

It tries to be "in a class of its own", but the reality is that it isn't.

The big difference between it and its competitors is in the software and flexibility to program stuff by yourself. But this is exactly the aspect of MultiFX which a large portion of guitarists hate. (I love it, Edge too, I think). The active AxeFX community helps, in particular by sharing experiences as well as patches and presets. But there are those who don't want to make things too easy. The U2 recording community has a similar mind set: teach someone how to fish.

Personally I'm still perfectly happy with my Digitech GSP 2101, which despite being 15yr old, can actually do a lot of the things the AxeFx is known for (IE building you own signal paths, multiple CC-parameters), but it adds a full midi analogue preamp. It's got twin tubes as well as physically built in analogue circuitry for certain 90s pedals.

The first thing Edge will probably do on an AxeFX is try to emulate what his Korg did (on Mysterious Ways), which is something AxeFX users have been trying for years, with mixed results:

The irony is that Edge took his A3 out of the box, did minor tweaking on a particular preset and hey presto: the Mysterious Ways sound. He never went beyond that. If he were truly interested in multiFX he would have:

1) worked with Line6 more
    2) owned a Korg A1
    3) checked out the high end stuff from Digitech, ADA, Rocktron, etc.

If you're interested in all out multi effects rack units and on a budget, I would recommend starting with something like a Digitech 1101 (500eur). Alternatively, get any of the upscale 1990s units such as the 2101/2120/2112 or Korg A1/A2/A3, which can be had second hand for 200-300eur. I'm not too convinced of Line6 or Boss/Roland stuff.

Lastly, a lot of Edge minded AxeFX users seem to use Edge's way of connecting amps: everything in front of an AC30. That in itself gives part of the unique Edge sound people are looking for. But it sort of goes against the principles of multiFX: allowing the greatest possible flexibility.

I moved to multiFX because I wanted to be able to switch from Hendrix to Pantera to Edge to van Halen in an instant, so that's something you need to consider when you're looking at MultiFX and how you incorporate it into your set up. Which is a whole new can of worms...
  5. Edge used a Digitech 2101 Pre-amp / effects processor & a Digitech 2112 multi effects processor during the Popmart tour.

Edge didn't use the A3 straight out of the box. He did tweek the settings to some of the sounds on the SPC-01 card.

I do wonder if Edge owns an A1. I don't know a ton about that unit but it seems it does what the A3 does and more. But that said - The A1 takes up more space in the rack. And of the 1-space A3 does the job... it does make sense to stay with the A3.

Dallas and Edge had someone from Fractal Audio work with them for two weeks. In that, from the post by the guy from Fractal Audio, they worked on replicating vintage sounds with the Axe FX. (Sounds like they are serious about using it if they had the guy out to Dublin for 2-weeks). Whether it gets used on the next album or tour remains to be seen.

The 'cult-like' follow for the Axe FX, amongst U2 fan/guitar players is that one can get close to replicating a lot of Edge guitar tones with that unit alone. This, particularly for any Tribute Edge's is very useful. Most don't have the transportation or Dallas Schoo to bring bigger racks of gear. (And even if they did, most club stages are too small for such a thing).
  6. I played a friend's arctic white Strat the other day, like the one someone (Alex?) was going to get, and I was surprised by the THICK strings he had on. They were 0.013's I think, and a real nightmare to play for someone like me who's used to 0.009's or 0.010's at max. He said he was a huge fan of Steve Ray Vaughan so he plays the same strings as him, but I really disliked it the experience. It was a shame, because the guitar was a true beauty, a 2002 (I think) American Strat which was really in great condition. It has a great neck as well, a fantastic and convenient action, and the triple single coils are swwwwwweeeeet... But the strings ruined it for me.

What do you prefer? Thick, heavy strings or thin, fine ones?
  7. I have always played D'addario XLs 009-042. I have since day one, since my Ibanezzes came standard with those. I have used the same picks for over twenty years too (purple Dunlop Tortex, even before finding out Slash used those).

I have tried a friend's SRV strat once, those fat sets of strings do take some getting used too, other jazz-playing friends also used very thick strings (incl wound Gs), the biggest problem I have with them is in tone (muffled highs). On occasion I would replace a broken 009 with a leftover 010, but I can't get used to that stuff, despite my large and relatively strong hands. It's probably because I'm used to bending strings almost off the fretboard.
  8. It's not only the bending - the whole playing proccess was so stupidly tough with those 013's that it didn't make any sense to keep on trying and not enjoying it.

I use Tortex as well, but they're not the only picks I use. In fact, I play with whatever pick I get hold off, although my favorites are 0.73mm Jim Dunlop USA Nylon and Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III (thick but amazing to get Edge's Herdim-like special grit and chim, in case you can't or don't want to buy Herdim picks).
  9. Does anyone know a place where I can get some free drum tracks/loops to jam over? I've scoured YouTube and played over all of the decent rock ones posted there. I'm looking for something that isn't MIDI, if possible.

I also unfortunately don't have GarageBand.
  10. Ahhhhhh thank you bunches

I found one I hadn't tapped into on YouTube yet and it happened to be the PERFECT tempo (120 bpm) for the project I'm working on now....check "Songs You've Written" later today