1. Originally posted by WojBhoy:Just bought a Squier Strat on eBay for £60 pretty sure it's a SE starter jobby from a few years ago, but either way it's that cheap that I'm not too fussed - mods ahoj!

Ha, so no Partscaster project anymore? I think you've gone the right route. Squiers have crappy hardware and pickups but usually good to very good body and construction. So you're actually saving the body and neck (which are usually the most expensive parts of a Partscaster if you want to get good ones) and can get better pickups.
  2. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I've decided I'm going to save for it, and sell my current guitar to make the remainder when the time comes

Ever since that guitar came out, even though I've move on from being an Edge "wannabe", I've felt the need to own one. I learned guitar playing U2, they're THE band for all of us, and throughout my time learning all their songs, trying to nail his tone and spending hours, weeks, months, years doing it, I wished they had done something like that guitar.

It's time.
    If you save for long enough it might cheapen a bit (if cheapen is a verb, which I doubt). 1800 quid is too much since it's basically your standard Strat with a couple of higher output pickups...
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]

Ha, so no Partscaster project anymore? I think you've gone the right route. Squiers have crappy hardware and pickups but usually good to very good body and construction. So you're actually saving the body and neck (which are usually the most expensive parts of a Partscaster if you want to get good ones) and can get better pickups.
    Yep pretty much - did the maths and considering a decent body and neck on eBay is going to fetch £80ish, a ready-made guitar for £60 seemed a decent alternative. Got a decent set of upgrades for about £70 for my STT (locking tuners, pick-ups, tremolo bridge), so add decent electrics / pots shouldn't add much more. Plus it's something to plink whilst I'm waiting to get it all fixed up a Stratopartscaster, so to speak.
  4. Way to go my man!
    Show us some pics when you get the Squier, and let us know how your project develops
  5. Don't you worry, I sure will - I've got Edge's black Strat in mind as inspiration, but I prefer dark fretboards to light (plus 50s/60s headstocks to 70s) so it'll be the feel of the thing rather than an absolute copy.

In the meantime, I'm carrying on with the Hofner - how I'm loving semi-hollow snarl
  6. I just ordered an SPDT switch. I'm going to try to mod my EHX Small Clone so I have a switch from Chorus to Vibrato. Wish me luck.
  7. Originally posted by thefly108:I just ordered an SPDT switch. I'm going to try to mod my EHX Small Clone so I have a switch from Chorus to Vibrato. Wish me luck.
    Godspeed with that, good sir!

8. In the words of Theoden*: "So it begins."

Considering it's bargain bucket stuff, it plays bloody well. The p'ups are decent if bloody noisy, although they're still getting the boot! Thinking Warmoth Texas > Wilkinson.

Had initially planned to turn it all black á la Edge but am having second thoughts - the white hardwear does have a certain class to it..

(*the film rather than the book)
  9. Originally posted by thefly108:I just ordered an SPDT switch. I'm going to try to mod my EHX Small Clone so I have a switch from Chorus to Vibrato. Wish me luck.
    Finished with great results! I replaced the stock red LED with a blue one for kicks.
  10. Originally posted by WojBhoy:[image]
    In the words of Theoden*: "So it begins."

Considering it's bargain bucket stuff, it plays bloody well. The p'ups are decent if bloody noisy, although they're still getting the boot! Thinking Warmoth Texas > Wilkinson.

Had initially planned to turn it all black á la Edge but am having second thoughts - the white hardwear does have a certain class to it..

(*the film rather than the book)
    Black body + white hardware (aka Clapton) is probably my least favorite combination of all the usuals.

All blackie like Edge or black+black+white pups are miles miles miles ahead

11. I'm going to do something similar with my Telecaster like Billie Joe Armstrongs Strat
  12. This is what I have so far: (I know I have to clean my guitar!)