1. Originally posted by mofothethird:Question! I've just stumbled across a secondhand VOX AC30 vr .
    I've been looking for an amp and was wondering if this is a good investment for me to make. I only have a small budget. What should a decent price be for one of these in a decent secondhandstate?
    How much does the seller ask? I think 250€ is a good price for a second hand unit of that beast. I don't think effects loop should be a determining factor if you play mainly at home, but that's more personal.
  2. He's asking 300 Euro's. So I'm going to try and talk him down. I will be playing at home most of the time! Thanks for the tips.
  3. Originally posted by thefly108:[..]
    Depends what price is being asked.

How often would you use the effects loop? I don't completely understand the use of them, but if I'm correct it's so that some pedals can be placed after the amp's built-in effects instead of straight into the input.

Yes this is exactly the point. Brian May was a dude who is known for playing AC30's too, next to Edge. And some die hards on the Queen message boards claim its better for the amp , if you place your effects "after" . But others claim that they never had any problem with directly plugging them in.

I'm new to everything electric. So I'll respect any opinion. Can't imagine Queen fans bullshitting about their favorite guitarists sound.
    Probably just overthinking it, I'm just starting out, so I probably would have loads of fun with this amp.
  4. Originally posted by mofothethird:[..]

Yes this is exactly the point. Brian May was a dude who is known for playing AC30's too, next to Edge. And some die hards on the Queen message boards claim its better for the amp , if you place your effects "after" . But others claim that they never had any problem with directly plugging them in.

I'm new to everything electric. So I'll respect any opinion. Can't imagine Queen fans bullshitting about their favorite guitarists sound.
    Probably just overthinking it, I'm just starting out, so I probably would have loads of fun with this amp.
    Edge plays without an effects loop I believe, using delays and stuff before the amp. But he doesn't run his amps with that much overdrive from the amp itself. He uses overdrive pedals instead. The thing is that a lot of effects, like maybe delay, chorus and reverb, will not sound very good if you run them into something overdriven. Overdrives are actually almost always the first effects in a chain of effects, with other effects placed afterwards, which is why an effects loop is useful... to be able to use overdrive from the amp and then put other effects after it. I however don't use an effects loop and instead get most of my overdrive from pedals.

I'm a bit cautious in general about amps that use digital modelling, like I believe the AC30VR does. Personally, I'd try to for an all analog tube amp. You could look at VOX AC15s and maybe also AC4s. AC4 would maybe be too weak to use live, but could be pretty good I think if you're just playing at home.
  5. WATCH MORE TV
  6. Originally posted by Mr_Trek:[..]
    Edge plays without an effects loop I believe, using delays and stuff before the amp. But he doesn't run his amps with that much overdrive from the amp itself. He uses overdrive pedals instead. The thing is that a lot of effects, like maybe delay, chorus and reverb, will not sound very good if you run them into something overdriven. Overdrives are actually almost always the first effects in a chain of effects, with other effects placed afterwards, which is why an effects loop is useful... to be able to use overdrive from the amp and then put other effects after it. I however don't use an effects loop and instead get most of my overdrive from pedals.

I'm a bit cautious in general about amps that use digital modelling, like I believe the AC30VR does. Personally, I'd try to for an all analog tube amp. You could look at VOX AC15s and maybe also AC4s. AC4 would maybe be too weak to use live, but could be pretty good I think if you're just playing at home.
    For those of us looking for perfect sounds on a budget?

Rosen Digital.
  7. The guitar tone in The Fly pleases my ears massively, so I'm wondering how The Edge gets that tone in the album version. I reckon it might be a Korg A3 unit with wah pressed on full. I can't over how immense a tone it is, kinda want to experiment with it a little.
  8. Originally posted by KieranU2:The guitar tone in The Fly pleases my ears massively, so I'm wondering how The Edge gets that tone in the album version. I reckon it might be a Korg A3 unit with wah pressed on full. I can't over how immense a tone it is, kinda want to experiment with it a little.
    I think I read he's using a Korg A3 with the infinite delay preset.
  9. Originally posted by KieranU2:The guitar tone in The Fly pleases my ears massively, so I'm wondering how The Edge gets that tone in the album version. I reckon it might be a Korg A3 unit with wah pressed on full. I can't over how immense a tone it is, kinda want to experiment with it a little.
    Ha! I was gonna tell you in another thread the other day: everytime I open Spotify, the bar on the right side says you have just listened to The Fly
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Ha! I was gonna tell you in another thread the other day: everytime I open Spotify, the bar on the right side says you have just listened to The Fly
    Haha, always! Can't get enough of it