1. In other news:

a) I made a new set of decals (in the style of a Phoenix as they're a favourite of mine where mythical things are concerned) with which I intend to adorn all my guitars (where possible) over time. Did it to my current Stratty thing - see pic wherever it appears! It's not a real Strat nor is it any well-known make, hence it's 'the Stratty thing' / 'Phoenix' for the moment.

b) Alas, said Stratty thing is now in I bought a cheapish Strat neck from eBay a while ago and so - as my current Stratty thing is not far off needing a refret which I cannot afford, and I also cannot afford to stump up the money for a new guitar - I'm going to embark on the Partscaster route. Wish me luck.
  2. Originally posted by WojBhoy:[..]

I have acceded to thy request! Ah, I see what you mean (you wrote the tuning out backwards in my head so didn't quite follow for a moment haha - I'm a bottom-up kind of chap) - it's not too bad all things considered. The G string can be sensitive but only a little bit more than usual - my acoustic is fairly beaten up and rough'n'ready in any case so string tension is the problems I overcome. Basically, there are plenty of things wrong, but they cancel each other out to make it a pleasant enough strum of an evening!

I really need to upgrade it though...
    Basically, there are plenty of things wrong, but they cancel each other out!

Good luck with the Partscaster route! Refretting is expensive but I perfer it to trying a neck that might not suit your style at all Have you looked for second hand guitars or are you a mint-new kind of guy?
  3. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Basically, there are plenty of things wrong, but they cancel each other out!

Good luck with the Partscaster route! Refretting is expensive but I perfer it to trying a neck that might not suit your style at all Have you looked for second hand guitars or are you a mint-new kind of guy?
    Well this is the thing: virtually all my guitars have relatively different necks to some degree, and I generally adapt my style to the guitar - I play them all slightly differently based on the sound.

For example, I got my Hofner Semi-Hollow VeryThin doodahwhatsit (whatever the bloody thing's called) on an impulse - bought it off an old uni friend - and it's probably the most different neck I've got - chunkyish profile and wideish frets, not my usual thing. Close to my Les Paul but I don't play that much at the mo. I basically bought the Hof because I wanted a semi-hollow and my friend was willing to sell it for £220 (inc. a Bigsby, no less) - I'm still adapting to it but it's the sound that's the biggest difference for me rather than the neck. I've spent the last year focusing on the STT and developing my style around singles, so flitting over to trebly gnarly Hummers is the thing I notice. I've had them all set up fairly similar (lowish action etc.). The Stratty-type thing (STT, let's call it) has a similarish neck to my Explorer and they're the two I've used for the most part during my days on the plink, although the Explorer is currently on hiatus at my parents' house because I can't fit 5 guitars into my bedroom at the flat!

I don't mind whether a guitar's 2nd-hand or new, it's simply the price for me - and alas I don't fancy the idea of a finance deal in the current economic climate! Have been monitoring eBay but I just don't have £200-250 around, whereas I could probably cobble together the key parts for a Partscaster for less and (hopefully) not fuck the thing up tooooo much during construction...
  4. Agreed on some points, BUT do you think you can gather all (or most of) the parts together for less than 200 quid? Good luck with that, son

PS. I didn't know you had a VeryThin. I love them, great guitars for the price!
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:Agreed on some points, BUT do you think you can gather all (or most of) the parts together for less than 200 quid? Good luck with that, son

PS. I didn't know you had a VeryThin. I love them, great guitars for the price!

Agreed entirely - it's a lovely bit of kit, and like I say, at £220, it was a steal. Think my mate got it for £450 new a few years ago? Spent £30 on a set-up, so all in all, very happy with the deal!

Ah well you see, the beauty about the DIY approach is that I don't have to cough up the money all at once, which for me is the issue, and means I'm likely to have a new guitar sooner rather than later. It's either spend the next year setting aside a bit of money each month and hopefully saving enough to put towards a new axe (which is something I find difficult at the best of times!) or spend a bit of money each month for less time collating the parts and then getting a tech friend of mine to help put it together - I can do the woodwork bits but I don't have any soldering / electronics equipment. PLUS it makes it a bit more personal - I'm not absolutely set on it just yet, but probably will go down that path.
  6. ahhh I understand better npw. Indeed being able to spend a bit now and a bit later makes it much easier for people like us... ... that means people who!s unable to save any money for longer than two days

Verythins are sweet. My grandpa has a vintage one (Ive shown it here several times) and it was the first electric guitar I ever playe. Its in cherry red like yours. I hace a soft spot for them! Glad you like yours so much!

excuse the typos, on my phone now
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:ahhh I understand better npw. Indeed being able to spend a bit now and a bit later makes it much easier for people like us... ... that means people who!s unable to save any money for longer than two days

Verythins are sweet. My grandpa has a vintage one (Ive shown it here several times) and it was the first electric guitar I ever playe. Its in cherry red like yours. I hace a soft spot for them! Glad you like yours so much!

excuse the typos, on my phone now
    Haha, we are men of a united financial outlook - oh to be able to buy a guitar outright! The dream...

Yep, I heartily recommend VTs - solidly made, plenty of character. I remember seeing a lic of your grandpa's - would love to compare one day! Vintage vs the young upstart...
  8. Just bought a Squier Strat on eBay for £60 pretty sure it's a SE starter jobby from a few years ago, but either way it's that cheap that I'm not too fussed - mods ahoj!
  9. You know what I want really bad lately?

....The Edge's sig strat.
  10. I've decided I'm going to save for it, and sell my current guitar to make the remainder when the time comes

Ever since that guitar came out, even though I've move on from being an Edge "wannabe", I've felt the need to own one. I learned guitar playing U2, they're THE band for all of us, and throughout my time learning all their songs, trying to nail his tone and spending hours, weeks, months, years doing it, I wished they had done something like that guitar.

It's time.
  11. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I've decided I'm going to save for it, and sell my current guitar to make the remainder when the time comes

Ever since that guitar came out, even though I've move on from being an Edge "wannabe", I've felt the need to own one. I learned guitar playing U2, they're THE band for all of us, and throughout my time learning all their songs, trying to nail his tone and spending hours, weeks, months, years doing it, I wished they had done something like that guitar.

It's time.
    Good luck, Alex - I'd love one but will wait until a time when I can think of affording! They look / sound beautiful..