1. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:I'm a drummer for over 10 years but started guitar last April. I love it. Much harder than drums, fir me at least. I played acoustic for the first year to build some strength and just got my first electric. Wow. It's a whole new world when you bring in effects lol. Can anyone recommend a decent multi effects box? I was looking at DigiTech RP360XP Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal. Thanks!
    Congrats on doing that jump, and welcome to the U2 guitar world!

I'm currently rocking a Line6 Floor POD Plus and it's amazing but if you're just starting out I think a simpler unit will do the trick. My first multiFX was a Digitech and it was so crappy that I grew some kind of aversion towards Digitechs, so I can't comment on that unit, sorry But Zoom and Boss should provide you with good options whether you've got a small budget or a lot of cash to burn.

Whatever clicks with you, these are its must-haves IMO:
    -expression pedal
    -customizable delay settings
    -tap tempo
    -built-in tuner
    -30+ memory slots to edit and save your U2 sounds

If you're into "intermediate-advanced" multiFX like the RP360 you mentioned, my suggestions would be:
    -Line 6 Firehawk FX (around $400 used - huge connectivity!)
    -Zoom G3X (around $300 used - my personal suggestion since I have a long term affair with Zoom products)
    -Line 6 M13 (a long term member of U2 guitarists top multiFX lists, around $250 used)
    -basically any of the Boss ME-X0 or GT-X series (ME-50, ME-80, GT-1, GT-8... all superb and can be had for under $300 used)
  2. Accidentally ended up on the thread of the first page:

We can finally declare that particular issue resolved!

In other news, I've decided it's time to start on another project, so I'm going to bagsy an HSS Bullet Strat and soup it up.

In a breakaway move from my current stylings, I'm going to plump for this blighter:

And soup it up. Breakaway in the sense of I generally don't go for light colours, but that said, my first proper guitar was my alpine white Epi LP, so perhaps not that much of a breakaway.

Similarly, it's a Strat, so it's hardly a left-field move for me, but I've basically come to terms with the fact that I like Strats the most - I guess I'm a classicist in terms of guitar shape.

However, I've been revisiting my hard-rock / metal roots (particularly Def Leppard), and there's something about an HSS-fitted Strat shape which nicely straddles the divide between heavy stuff and the rest of the stuff I play: it feels right aesthetically and sticking a fat humbucker in the bridge will give it the punch I currently lack with my black Strat.

So main things on the to-do list once I've got it:

- Decide whether to keep the white look on the hardware, e.g. scratch plate, p/ups, knobs etc.
    - Get a coil-tap for the humbucker
    - Get upgraded p/ups
    - Possibly upgrade the tuners / trem bar etc. depending on how knackered or not it is when I get it through from the dealer.

So nothing too drastic but I think it'll be a cunning way to split the difference across my collection in terms of look, sound etc.

Carry on!
  3. Originally posted by WojBhoy:Accidentally ended up on the thread of the first page:

[..]

We can finally declare that particular issue resolved!

In other news, I've decided it's time to start on another project, so I'm going to bagsy an HSS Bullet Strat and soup it up.

In a breakaway move from my current stylings, I'm going to plump for this blighter:

[image]

And soup it up. Breakaway in the sense of I generally don't go for light colours, but that said, my first proper guitar was my alpine white Epi LP, so perhaps not that much of a breakaway.

Similarly, it's a Strat, so it's hardly a left-field move for me, but I've basically come to terms with the fact that I like Strats the most - I guess I'm a classicist in terms of guitar shape.

However, I've been revisiting my hard-rock / metal roots (particularly Def Leppard), and there's something about an HSS-fitted Strat shape which nicely straddles the divide between heavy stuff and the rest of the stuff I play: it feels right aesthetically and sticking a fat humbucker in the bridge will give it the punch I currently lack with my black Strat.

So main things on the to-do list once I've got it:

- Decide whether to keep the white look on the hardware, e.g. scratch plate, p/ups, knobs etc.
    - Get a coil-tap for the humbucker
    - Get upgraded p/ups
    - Possibly upgrade the tuners / trem bar etc. depending on how knackered or not it is when I get it through from the dealer.

So nothing too drastic but I think it'll be a cunning way to split the difference across my collection in terms of look, sound etc.

Carry on!
    So I got the above last week and I was blown away. Quite frankly, it felt like far more than a £95 guitar!

Turns out it's an Indonesian-made Squier, and from what I read, it certainly shows. Felt like it was made with a lot of love and attention to detail - great action, smooth neck, lovely p/ups. At this moment I don't feel the need to change anything whatsoever - just going to stick the trem bar on when I get the chance and make sure I don't cock up the action etc.! It's at least on a par with my best axes at the moment, and also probably better suited to my style than all of the rest of my axes bar my Explorer (and I don't have any particular issues with my other guitars, it's just that this Strat was better suited).

Also finally realised that whilst I have big palms, my fingers aren't particularly long, so playing a thin neck with standard 9-gauge strings, everything suddenly felt so much easier than the slightly bigger radiuses and 10/11-gauge strings I've persisted with for so long. Very much a BB King moment for me.

We'll see how it goes but for now, I'm a happy man.
  4. Does anyone have experience with the Behringer rv600 reverb pedal? I'm thinking about buying it as a cheap option for a shimmer effect. I already own a boss gt-8, so I'm quite covered on the other reverb effects. What are your experiences with it?

And perhaps a dumb question, but where does such a pedal go with the boss gt-8 in the signal chain? is it: guitar -> behringer -> boss, or guitar->boss->behringer?
  5. Originally posted by eladanelf:Does anyone has experience with the Behringer rv600 reverb pedal? I'm thinking about buying it as a cheap option for a shimmer effect. I already own a boss gt-8, so I'm quite covered on the other reverb effects. What are you're experiences with it?

And perhaps a dumb question, but where does such a pedal go with the boss gt-8 in the signal chain? is it: guitar -> behringer -> boss, or guitar->boss->behringer?
    Multi FX are a pain to place in the signal chain and there's not a proper rule or super defined place for them. After all, they're not supposed to be used with other pedals I like to keep mine at the end of the chain with only the looper behind it.

I was also looking for shimmer pedals a couple of months back and decided not to pull the trigger on any of the cheap ones since they just didn't cut it for me (and the good ones are over 200 quid, that's quite a lot for a standalone pedal with just one purpose).

@Harry I'm not a fan at all of that Bullet Strat (sorry for being so sincere ) but I can vouch for what you say about its surprising craft. We are too used to despise everything with an unusally low price tag, and there are true bargains out there that can be equal (or even superior in some regards) to guitars with a much bigger tag. I can't get over how INCREDIBLE my Telecaster Vintage Modified SSH is, and to think it costed me less than 150€ when people pay 300 or more for Rochester, Sonora, Greg Bennet, etc crap in the supermarkets... Oh well Enjoy your Indonesian axe and keep us updated!
  6. Do you guys think it's possible to connect a reverb, a + b switch and fuzz factory to my POD HD500X?
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Multi FX are a pain to place in the signal chain and there's not a proper rule or super defined place for them. After all, they're not supposed to be used with other pedals I like to keep mine at the end of the chain with only the looper behind it.

I was also looking for shimmer pedals a couple of months back and decided not to pull the trigger on any of the cheap ones since they just didn't cut it for me (and the good ones are over 200 quid, that's quite a lot for a standalone pedal with just one purpose).

@Harry I'm not a fan at all of that Bullet Strat (sorry for being so sincere ) but I can vouch for what you say about its surprising craft. We are too used to despise everything with an unusally low price tag, and there are true bargains out there that can be equal (or even superior in some regards) to guitars with a much bigger tag. I can't get over how INCREDIBLE my Telecaster Vintage Modified SSH is, and to think it costed me less than 150€ when people pay 300 or more for Rochester, Sonora, Greg Bennet, etc crap in the supermarkets... Oh well Enjoy your Indonesian axe and keep us updated!
    Yea, I'm on the same page as you with the money for a single purpose pedal.. Thanks for the signal chain tip, I think I will just try what sounds better. I still gonna buy the behringer I think, I'll let you know if it satisfies
  8. Originally posted by eladanelf:[..]
    Yea, I'm on the same page as you with the money for a single purpose pedal.. Thanks for the signal chain tip, I think I will just try what sounds better. I still gonna buy the behringer I think, I'll let you know if it satisfies
    Please do! I'd love to have a shimmer pedal for less than what most of my guitars costed me
  9. I got a new Fulltone OCD, which I am using as a clean boost. Today, that extra volume boost revealed that, when my wah is on, it picks up FM radio signals...I've heard of amps doing that, but never a pedal.
  10. Whats the best pedal for the guitar wah in EBTTRT?