1. No, it always has been like this, Bono knows how to divide his time

Got my vote.

He's a big boy and the band are too strong an influence to allow any over-meandering that they are unhappy with.

If ATYCLB and Bomb have been disappointing, it's due to a deliberate direction that hasn't been to a listeners tastes in my opinion. Those albums did bring a whole new fanbase but may have left those of us who joined in in the 80's/90's a little cold.
  2. Originally posted by djrlewis: No, it always has been like this, Bono knows how to divide his time

Got my vote.

He's a big boy and the band are too strong an influence to allow any over-meandering that they are unhappy with.

If ATYCLB and Bomb have been disappointing, it's due to a deliberate direction that hasn't been to a listeners tastes in my opinion. Those albums did bring a whole new fanbase but may have left those of us who joined in in the 80's/90's a little cold.

Actually, I became a fan in 2005. But it wasn't those albums that made me a fan, it was the Joshua Tree and War that made me a fan. After I listened to their 80's stuff I realized they had a bunch of different stuff from the 90's, which is when I picked up AB and Pop. I didn't actually give their 2 latest albums a listen until afterwards. Sure I had heard BD and Vertigo before, but they never grasped me as much as Still Haven't Found and SBS and other songs like those did.
  3. I actually love there last two albums( I know many of you dont agree with me. I dont care). As it is, I prefer Bono the rock star, to the politician.
  4. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:I actually love there last two albums( I know many of you dont agree with me. I dont care). As it is, I prefer Bono the rock star, to the politician.

I agree, I loved ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Would I prefer his music to be more centered around humanism and spiritual and emotional conflict? Sure, but some of his political poetry is beautiful and I'm always grateful for it when it works.

For example, Crumbs wasn't all great even though it was a good message, song was just a bit messy. North and South of the River though, ALWAYS puts a big fat lump in my throat (I've been doing it wrong, all of my life...).

I've had a few discussions with some U2 fans about how U2 is ruining U2 lately and find it hilarious. They know what they're doing and if Larry, Edge and Adam are okay with it, who is anyone to complain? Least of all fans.

And besides, if Bono saves or changes for the better even a handfull of lives at the cost of an album being delayed a month or two, more power too him. We are sorely in need of people in this day and age who have the opportunity to do what they love everyday but put it aside for others. Questions anything you like about his capabilites with time management, you can't question his intentions. This is Bono, who he is and (hopefully) who he'll always be. I wouldn't change a thing about him*.

C'mon U2 fans, where's the love?

*I even like the new hairstyle. Yes, I'm THOSE people
  5. Originally posted by djrlewis: No, it always has been like this, Bono knows how to divide his time

Got my vote.

Nicely worded. See? There's a reason I purposely mistake your name as drjlewis
  6. Originally posted by rmann83:[..]

I agree, I loved ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Would I prefer his music to be more centered around humanism and spiritual and emotional conflict? Sure, but some of his political poetry is beautiful and I'm always grateful for it when it works.

For example, Crumbs wasn't all great even though it was a good message, song was just a bit messy. North and South of the River though, ALWAYS puts a big fat lump in my throat (I've been doing it wrong, all of my life...).

I've had a few discussions with some U2 fans about how U2 is ruining U2 lately and find it hilarious. They know what they're doing and if Larry, Edge and Adam are okay with it, who is anyone to complain? Least of all fans.

And besides, if Bono saves or changes for the better even a handfull of lives at the cost of an album being delayed a month or two, more power too him. We are sorely in need of people in this day and age who have the opportunity to do what they love everyday but put it aside for others. Questions anything you like about his capabilites with time management, you can't question his intentions. This is Bono, who he is and (hopefully) who he'll always be. I wouldn't change a thing about him*.

C'mon U2 fans, where's the love?

*I even like the new hairstyle. Yes, I'm THOSE people

I totally agree with you, people should calm down about his work, he's doing a good thing
  7. the above posts are great. I though the last 2 records are right up there with their best material. When I listen to ATYCLB I hear a band that is glad to be playing together without too much interference for a long time. Even going back to Boy, there was always a big driving ambition for the record which is perfect; but when I hear songs like Stuck and Walk On and Elevation, hell pretty much every song; i hear a band that is finally just playing songs that are pure and straight to the heart, pure simple yet sophisticated and forward thinking melodies. I also hear a band that is enjoying the hell out of playing with each other.

As for Bomb, I hear a band that is not taking any prisoners. The onslaught of Vertigo is killer, perhaps their best opener in terms of sheer energy. Every song is so full on, showing so much muscle (ok the exceptions being AMAW and OSCTK, but even they are strong in their own way).

I think Bono's social work played a small role in the delay of Bomb (maybe), but for this record I think he has really dedicated himself to it, I mean how often did we really see him in the news recently besides the past month? I feel and have felt that this will be their best album, i mean, if Viva la Vida is as good as it is then we don't stand a chance when U2's record comes out, we will be disintegrated.

So overall, I love Bono's work, because he truly believes in it, and while sometimes I wince when I hear him say the same lines about Africa again and again, it is true. You can't deny the dedication, and I really believe Bono when he says he would so much rather be in a rehearsal room with his mates and I love that spirit.

I genuinely think that the delay of this album is them finding another songwriting vein and finding no good reason not to include new songs or ideas on the album. Our lives will change again in January
  8. I think the last two albums have some great songs. But is the mystery and excitement of Boy, The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby there? Maybe not.

It could be Bono's work with charity. Maybe there is some focus issues. Again, that is not saying that the last two albums were bad or suck. I just think that undfineable magic and artistic surprise of some of thier earlier work wasn't there - completely.

I think that there is more to it than Bono's charity work.

I think that recording at HQ is a big part of the problem and has cause some complacency. I think that the trip to Fez, Morocco in 2007 was a good thing. Recording in Ireland isn't a problem. But I do think that they need to be stimulated to have their creative juices flow. This can probably better be done in less familiar places - at least as a starting point in the writing.

U2 has made 5 records at HQ. Passengers, Pop, M$H, ATYCLB and HTDAAB. But it might be time to shake things up - for some change - to find the things that excite them to make 'new' things, instead of shining up older ideas or types of songs.

I do think the new album will be a turn in a good, fresh, new direction. Time will tell.

So the loss of HQ - the fact that it is to be torn down - might be a blessing in disguise. I think they know too. I think that is why they went to Abbey Road. I think that is why they went to Fez.

Just my .02
  9. Thanks for voting and discussion. Here is the final result:

Do you think Bono's appearances in various political events (see photo section) affect the album release? (started on 2008-09-29)

Yes, I think it might have been an influence, just a little though - 35.4%
    No, it always has been like this, Bono knows how to divide his time - 34.8%
    Yes, if Bono was a fulltime singer the album would've been out by 2007 - 23.7%
    No, it just inspires Bono to make better songs and early-released albums - 6.1%

Votes: 198