1. Love it. My friend has it on Xbox 360 and many a happy hour has been oft spent obliterating anything and everything in the name of Tom Clancy lol.

Lmao...

Anyway, aside from all this death, destruction and mayhem (I'm a nostalgic old fart and still think Goldeneye was the pinnacle for FPSs lol), FIFA '09 - it's even great on the PS2, but when friend mentioned previously got hold of it for the 360, I was blown away. Even the generic boots actually look good!
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]

I don't and thats been clearly stated. Gonna argue with gamespot to? WAW is just a carbon copy of cod4 and the graphics are just loaded with edge enhancement. Many graphically superior games out there.

You aren't gonna convince me.

When you make spurious statements like COD4/5's graphics are loaded with edge enhancement (do you even know what edge enhancement is?)
    and say completely unqualified statements such as "WAW was pure shit in every respect".

You can't expect me to take you seriously.

What do other people think? Harry?
  3. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

When you make spurious statements like COD4/5's graphics are loaded with edge enhancement (do you even know what edge enhancement is?)
    and say completely unqualified statements such as "WAW was pure shit in every respect".

Edge enhancement is a digital image processing filter that improves the apparent sharpness of an image or video. The creation of bright and dark highlights on either side of any line leaves the line looking more contrasted from a distance. The process is most prevalent in the video field, appearing to some degree in the majority of TV broadcasts and DVDs. Standard television sets' "sharpness" control is an example of edge enhancement. It is also widely used in computer printers especially for font or/and graphics to get a better printing quality.

In reality, edge enhancement only increases the perceived sharpness. It actually makes the picture less detailed because fine details are covered by the resulting "halo" artifacts. As such, purists swear off the filter as something that ruins a picture and only makes it look more appealing on low-end displays.

Most digital cameras also have some edge enhancement built in, which is sometimes impossible to bypass.

But was the game any good? Fuck the graphics!

OK, are there any good games on the 360 at the moment? Mirror's Edge was excellent. But I'm still an old-school epic gamer. Stuff like Metal Gear Solid (the first one) and Final Fantasy VIII - both epic games and genius.

4. Graphics are important in this discussion, which involves how hype is a factor in a games success.

Simply look at the screens, or from your own personal experience and decide which looks better.

Edit: you seriously think that the 360 has no good games.?
    And I'm not exactly a casual gamer like Harry either, I do realise that Metal Gear was a great, influential game. But that we are discussing MGS4 here.
  5. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

I think waw is a crap game. Didnt like the game, the graphics, the environments, the online. It's just a cheap money spinning rip off of the very good COD4 opinions are opinions regardless of whether you take them seriously. You were very opinionated on the Beach Clips, om very opinionated about WAW. I did not like it therefore I think it was crap. Simple
  6. Originally posted by vanquish:[..]

Graphics are important in this discussion, which involves how hype is a factor in a games success.

Simply look at the screens, or from your own personal experience and decide which looks better.

Edit: you seriously think that the 360 has no good games.

I know there's some good games out there, and my Xbox is just over a month or so old, so I haven't found too many games yet.

The first thing about a game to me is that it plays well, it can rope me in, and then the graphics I look at. But just because graphics are crap, the game might be good. I can still remember the Atari 5200, and bowling in 16-bit colour looked stunning to me. I guess with the technology games consoles have nowadays, you've gotta have stunning graphics, and there's no point having a 1080i/p TV unless you can have that.

However, the screens in that game look fantastic. So far, I think I've played Alone In The Dark 4 (long but interesting), Strangehold (which was excellent), Mirror's Edge, Mercenaries 4 (excellent) and CSI (utter crap).

I now wish I'd got a PS3.

I think waw is a crap game. Didnt like the game, the graphics, the environments, the online. It's just a cheap money spinning rip off of the very good COD4 opinions are opinions regardless of whether you take them seriously. You were very opinionated on the Beach Clips, om very opinionated about WAW. I did not like it therefore I think it was crap. Simple

There's a good reason right there. If it's crap, it's crap. I think the Wii is bullshit, the DS is too freaking small and the iPod classic sucks, so we all have opinions. Personally, I thought Halo was a crap effort, whereas everyone thought it's the greatest game since - Space Invaders or Galaga, or even Frogger!

I still haven't seen a next-gen game I've been overly thrilled with. The last game, as stated, was Final Fantasy VIII that I thought was utter brilliance. In the ten years since it's been out, nothing I've found has honestly topped that game. I still remember the 4CDs for PS1 and the 5CDs for PC.
  7. I'm considering adding a 360 to my arsenal. Loads of things I don't like about it but I want one. New laptop needed too though.
  8. Originally posted by germcevoy:I'm considering adding a 360 to my arsenal. Loads of things I don't like about it but I want one. New laptop needed too though.

I've been looking at a netbook. A little Linux-based thing, because I believe Linux is the way of the future. Open-source, expandable by anyone and free for all.

I might get a PS3 next year and sell the 360. It's not worth it if the games are so short like Stranglehold.
  9. Originally posted by drewhiggins:[..]

I know there's some good games out there, and my Xbox is just over a month or so old, so I haven't found too many games yet.

The first thing about a game to me is that it plays well, it can rope me in, and then the graphics I look at. But just because graphics are crap, the game might be good. I can still remember the Atari 5200, and bowling in 16-bit colour looked stunning to me. I guess with the technology games consoles have nowadays, you've gotta have stunning graphics, and there's no point having a 1080i/p TV unless you can have that.

However, the screens in that game look fantastic. So far, I think I've played Alone In The Dark 4 (long but interesting), Strangehold (which was excellent), Mirror's Edge, Mercenaries 4 (excellent) and CSI (utter crap).

I now wish I'd got a PS3.

[..]

There's a good reason right there. If it's crap, it's crap. I think the Wii is bullshit, the DS is too freaking small and the iPod classic sucks, so we all have opinions. Personally, I thought Halo was a crap effort, whereas everyone thought it's the greatest game since - Space Invaders or Galaga, or even Frogger!

I still haven't seen a next-gen game I've been overly thrilled with. The last game, as stated, was Final Fantasy VIII that I thought was utter brilliance. In the ten years since it's been out, nothing I've found has honestly topped that game. I still remember the 4CDs for PS1 and the 5CDs for PC.

I can see you haven't made the best choices in games so far, as a general rule of thumb licensed games (like movie tie ins) are generally crap, hence why CSI and Stranglehold arent very good.

Can you still return or trade your games in? I would suggest you do so.

Can I suggest a few others, if you like first person shooters Halo 3 or COD4/5 both very good.
    Gears of War 2 was also fantastic, great graphics, great multiplayer, great gameplay and very cinematic.

GTA4 was also impressive, it really has matured over the previous games. And if you liked Mercenaries 2, you will love GTA4.

If you want a more quirky game, go for Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, its only $60 and is truly innovative and is absolutely charming in typical Rare fashion (the art and graphics are also fantastic).

If you're strapped for cash XBLA has a repository of gems, recent ones I can suggest are Portal, Braid, Castle Crashers and Geometry Wars 2. The last two are sure to appeal to any retro buff, and are an absolute riot to play local multiplayer with.

You really need to connect your console to Xbox Live though (at leas temporarily), if you arent your missing out. You don't have to pay to connect either.

I say that because you can download trials for every XBLA game and also many demos for full games, like BK3 for instance, I strongly recommend you download that demo, it's very generous for a demo, and certainly sold me.

And if your bored like I was when I finished all the games I got with my 360, downloading demos and XBLA trials is quite interesting.
  10. Excellent post. Yeah, movie tie-ins have convinced me (as have you) that they do suck badly. Strangehold wasn't a bad game, it was too short. Six levels??? WTF???

FPS aren't my favourite kind of game. I love action games and RPGs. And I did play GTA4 for a while and I really liked it, and Mercenaries was so much fun - I didn't want to give it back! I might just get it, Mercenaries and GTA4, because JB have a sale on - tomorrow morning likely. Now I'm remembering...Kane and Lynch royally sucked. I might check out a couple of those you've suggested on XBLA...was it Portal I read about in some magazine - PC User, was it? I think.

Another question I have for you...how do you get points for XBL? There's games I want to buy and other stuff, but I don't have enough credits or points, whatever it is.

Edit: And the new Xbox interface is horrible as well. It looks like Vista.
  11. Get Fallout 3 rew if you like a good RPG.