1. #teamboots

laughter is eternity if joy is real!
  2. I have no real issue with Get on Your Boots but it had no business being a single IMO.
  3. Next you are going to say NLOTH has no business in the pantheon of the U2 discography.

4. It was the lowlight the 3 times I saw it, maybe tied with the I’ll go crazy remix. Hope they don’t revisit it in the future.
  5. i'm with you, but this is a battle not worth fighting. you'll never win.

as i've mentioned before, the only way i listen to this album is on vinyl. it was made for vinyl. it was made in the mold of the old epic 70's album formats...

“We might lose some of the pop kids, but… we don’t need them”
  6. In my opinion, Boots is not exactly a highlight in the U2 history. Incidentally, I think NLOTH is also a great album, except for Crazy
  7. Originally posted by ferrari:In my opinion, Boots is not exactly a highlight in the U2 history. Incidentally, I think NLOTH is also a great album, except for Crazy
    Crazy is what the Boots haters are. The U2 canon is nothing without Boots.
  8. U2 fans are the best! We'll eat any of our own who attack our 4 little cubs, the opinion of whether the cubs deserve it or not, and yet defend those same actions to any outsider who attacks. I'm definitely not a Boots fan, I agree with Dean that it was dull when I saw it. I do accept it as part of their canon, I do love NLOTH as a whole album (yes it's amazing on vinyl) and I do admire them for putting it out as a single. And I can say all of that and still say I don't like the song. It's about giving it the respect it deserves when you look at all aspects, and for that, it's good.
  9. I do think NLOTH as an album has went up In my estimations in the last year or 2. I never seem to be desperate to listen to it but when I do I enjoy it more than I expect I will. Stand up comedy is a great example of this as a song when I hear it in my head it always seems to be worse than when I actually listen to it. I’ll go crazy is ok on the album, don’t like the remix, boots really isn’t my thing at all and Cedars of Lebanon has never really done it for me either. The rest of the album I really like.
  10. "every beauty needs to go out with an idiot"

as with most post '89 U2, I think there's the conflict between being 'relevant' and being 'indulgent'

I think with NLOTH, the indulgence won out. I don't have a problem with that at all, I just think that when they get indulgent, they tend to lose sight of the target. (Vision over visibility, if you will) For me, NLOTH ended up being a beautiful mistake that spawned a brilliant, lengthy tour for us all. While it does peter off towards the end, the start is epic and to me, really flows all the way through Stand Up Comedy... While I love the remaining tracks, the record definitely does lose some continuity after this, for sure. But I don't think they could have put them anywhere else in the track listing, and it wouldn't be the first time they've wound down an album from a roar to a whisper (and I'm not saying that in a negative tone, either!)

There. That's my incoherent thought ramble of the day... (although not as incoherent and much more concise than a US politician in a house hearing!)
  11. The song is fine (at best), but the fact that it's obviously U2 trying to recreate the magic and success of Vertigo (Edge's guitar "part" in the verses is literally the same thing - scraping against muted strings), and the fact that the lyrics range from silly to lazy (what the hell is that chorus even? "You don't know how beautiful you are"? Sounds like a socially underdeveloped teen about to ask a girl for nudes - not to mention it's ALSO a rehash of the COBL chorus), AND the fact that it came at the cost of NLOTH maybe actually being an interesting album for U2 - all make it a bad song for me. This song is the epitome of U2 possibly having an experimental project on their hands, and then chickening out and making a shitty rock song the first single - it even sounds like it was a last-minute addition compared to tracks like Cedars, Surrender, Unknown Caller, etc.

It got better on the 360 tour, but a good U2 performance of a shitty song is still a good U2 performance.

This song made it to NLOTH and Mercy, EBW, Winter, and Soon didn't (all of which were basically confirmed as to being on the album prior to its release). Let that sink in lol.
  12. Yes, they chickened out with NLOTH. They planned a massive stadium tour that didn't fit the experimental version of the album that Brian Eno was keen on. So they added GOYB, SUC, etc. They should have gone all out with NLOTH as a more experimental U2 album with a tour in arenas or even theatres.

It would have been so much better. I love the aesthetic of the NLOTH album, the band photos, etc. It's a shame they didn't commit fully to the idea of a different sounding U2 album, rather than being nervous about having no rockers like Vertigo.

GOYB was decent live and far better than SOE's singles, like The Best Thing and GOOYOW.