1. Is it just me or has this not aged anywhere as badly as I thought it would? Crowds dogged it and Bono really gave it the beans.
  2. I've always loved it
    Clever songwriting.
  3. This is the song that exposed me to U2, so I really enjoy it/have a soft spot for it.
  4. I wasn't really into it when I first heard it but kinda improved for me after seeing this performance. I was out on the street for the rooftop gig later that day....hard to believe it's 11 years ag

5. I was confused and it took me a time to warm up but I love this song.
  6. Originally posted by germcevoy:Is it just me or has this not aged anywhere as badly as I thought it would? Crowds dogged it and Bono really gave it the beans.
    It hasn't aged badly sonically (same as the rest of the album) but the silly lyrics aren't getting any better either.
  7. To me, Boots is U2 taking a lazy cookie-cutter approach to a fast and rocking song in the vain hope of the first single from the album being a hit. Desire, The Fly and Vertigo are songs where it worked because they put in the effort. Discotheque and Boots are examples of the recipe missing a key ingredient.
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    It hasn't aged badly sonically (same as the rest of the album) but the silly lyrics aren't getting any better either.
    It hasn't changed at all it's still as bad as it ever was ,U2 were having hit singles up to that point but have never had one since yeah we know the climate has changed but that song did them enormous damage and they know it.
  9. Originally posted by Sydney_MIke:To me, Boots is U2 taking a lazy cookie-cutter approach to a fast and rocking song in the vain hope of the first single from the album being a hit. Desire, The Fly and Vertigo are songs where it worked because they put in the effort. Discotheque and Boots are examples of the recipe missing a key ingredient.
    I would completely agree with this! There were much stronger songs on Pop and NLOTH for Lead Singles. Staring At The Sun or Gone would have probably garnered more interest, and I always that the NLOTH or Magnificent, or even the album version of Crazy would have been well received.
  10. Originally posted by popmarter:[..]
    It hasn't changed at all it's still as bad as it ever was ,U2 were having hit singles up to that point but have never had one since yeah we know the climate has changed but that song did them enormous damage and they know it.
    The fact that by Moncton they only had 3 songs from the album (Boots / Surrender / Crazy) tells a lot about the "damage" the song did. I think Boots was left in only because it was the lead single, and Moment and Crazy had a very specific place in the overall "narrative" of the feel of 360, so I think they were only in there for that reason. And at a show where Zooropa got 2 reps, October got 1, and even Passengers got a nod.
  11. Boots on 360 was the highlight of the show. Totally upped its game live. The haters need to get real.

#teamboots