1. I happened to love Get on your boots. I especially loved how different the album as a whole was compared to everything else

2. No, I think a lot of fans had a WTF moment with the debut of Discotheque. I remember driving to work and the anticipation building as the radio station talked about this new release coming up and I was so disappointed. The album and tour sales reflect fan sentiment at the time, although I now acknowledge it is a better album than it first appeared.
  3. Bumping this in light of a new member's mentioning of the song ๐Ÿ™‚ I remembered reacting to this song like I did with Discotheque way back when, like WTF is this??.. both songs did grow on me though. Then after hearing the album I wondered why they went with Boots. Not their worst song, but definitely doesn't do it for me, especially lyrically.
  4. taking NLOTH as parameter, GOYB it's definitely not bad, taking even SOI and SOE, GOYB it would still be a good song in the middle of it all
  5. Originally posted by bonoschild:Bumping this in light of a new member's mentioning of the song ๐Ÿ™‚ I remembered reacting to this song like I did with Discotheque way back when, like WTF is this??.. both songs did grow on me though. Then after hearing the album I wondered why they went with Boots. Not their worst song, but definitely doesn't do it for me, especially lyrically.
    I recall the first reaction was quite positive by mostly everyone. It was the first we heard from U2 after a 2.5 year gap and we were raving about it. It took a while before we realized the lyrics were cheesy and childish, the track was poorly produced and in general it was pretty subpar for a band that had delivered gems like Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and Original Of The Species only a few years earlier. The watermark incident for the videoclip didn't help either
  6. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    I recall the first reaction was quite positive by mostly everyone. It was the first we heard from U2 after a 2.5 year gap and we were raving about it. It took a while before we realized the lyrics were cheesy and childish, the track was poorly produced and in general it was pretty subpar for a band that had delivered gems like Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and Original Of The Species only a few years earlier. The watermark incident for the videoclip didn't help either
    Some U2 songs get better and better with scrutiny—I would definitely but Discotheque in that category—with some I suppose it’s the opposite. I haven’t paid too much attention to Get On Your Boots. It’s one of the very few songs I don’t think I know all the words by heart. I think I’ll leave it in the category of fun but not impactful.
  7. Originally posted by MiamiMyMammy:[..]
    Some U2 songs get better and better with scrutiny—I would definitely but Discotheque in that category—with some I suppose it’s the opposite. I haven’t paid too much attention to Get On Your Boots. It’s one of the very few songs I don’t think I know all the words by heart. I think I’ll leave it in the category of fun but not impactful.
    Yeah. The song from your nickname gets much more hate (lest forget the "U2 wrote Miami" comment in thousands of U2 youtube videos) and is like 570 times better than GOYB
  8. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yeah. The song from your nickname gets much more hate (lest forget the "U2 wrote Miami" comment in thousands of U2 youtube videos) and is like 570 times better than GOYB
    Ha, ha. That it is. I recall Allen Ginsberg doing an interpretive reading of those lyrics. Good enough for him if not for YouTube.
  9. Originally posted by MiamiMyMammy:[..]
    Ha, ha. That it is. I recall Allen Ginsberg doing an interpretive reading of those lyrics. Good enough for him if not for YouTube.
    Yes, from the A Year In Pop documentary. I absolutely LOVE IT

10. Yes! This is it. You do look cool, Larry.
  11. boots is better than miami
    miami gets awful when bono starts saying MIAMI MY MAMMYYYYYYY
  12. Never. MIAMI nice Rythmn. BOOTS is terrible. A bad try to get another rock single. It is just a bad song i.m.O.