1. I have to agree with treasure, I think it's my least favorite song since the 2000s. I'd even put it behind Fast Cars. I like the perspective of voice in the song, but melodically and lyrically it feels a little forced. I'm sure the developed it as much as they could, but I'd replace it with Winter as well.
  2. Originally posted by AchtungNinja:[..]
    I have to agree with treasure, I think it's my least favorite song since the 2000s. I'd even put it behind Fast Cars. I like the perspective of voice in the song, but melodically and lyrically it feels a little forced. I'm sure the developed it as much as they could, but I'd replace it with Winter as well.
    I actually quite like fast cars but Xanax and wine is a superior song
  3. Cedars of Lebanon is one of my all-time favourite U2 songs. It's so weird. A neat, melancholy narrative album closer that doesn't feel like it's forcing itself to be anything - it just is what it is. It feels very Unforgettable Fire to me.
  4. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Cedars of Lebanon is one of my all-time favourite U2 songs. It's so weird. A neat, melancholy narrative album closer that doesn't feel like it's forcing itself to be anything - it just is what it is. It feels very Unforgettable Fire to me.
    Agreed. And I just love the way it closes out NLOTH as an album. Granted, I also love how Yahweh is a beautiful way to close Bomb, but I usually like when U2 ends their albums on a darker note. In this case, it's as if they're suggesting that not all spiritual pilgrimages end in clarity and success. You go from the traffic cop just wanting to get away at the beginning with the title track and end up with this cynical, burnt-out war correspondent warning us to "choose our enemies carefully, cause they will define you..."

Makes me want to listen to the whole album again now!
  5. NLOTH is a very underappreciated album because most of its hits don't really work well live (excluding Boots, which only works well live).

Cedars is a song that wouldn't work well live, but is a perfect fit on the album.
  6. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    Agreed. And I just love the way it closes out NLOTH as an album. Granted, I also love how Yahweh is a beautiful way to close Bomb, but I usually like when U2 ends their albums on a darker note. In this case, it's as if they're suggesting that not all spiritual pilgrimages end in clarity and success. You go from the traffic cop just wanting to get away at the beginning with the title track and end up with this cynical, burnt-out war correspondent warning us to "choose our enemies carefully, cause they will define you..."

Makes me want to listen to the whole album again now!
    Perfect description of how it makes me feel! It's a gorgeous song.
  7. Oops...meant to post this about XXX.
  8. Funny maybe a version of cedars would have been good on Kendrick Lamar's latest effort
  9. I like Fast Cars more than Cedars. But Xanax is quite good, even though I had to listen to it many times.

What always impresses me is the broad spectrum of U2 fans. For every songs someone hates, another person loves it.
  10. I remember my mate who isn't even that into u2 told me this was his favourite on NLOTH. I have him a copy to listen to and at the time I was right into the album but just couldn't get into this song. Nowadays I'm not even a big fan of the album and I like the song even less, maybe I just don't get it, I can't really sit and slate the song like I could Boots but I just don't enjoy it.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:I remember my mate who isn't even that into u2 told me this was his favourite on NLOTH. I have him a copy to listen to and at the time I was right into the album but just couldn't get into this song. Nowadays I'm not even a big fan of the album and I like the song even less, maybe I just don't get it, I can't really sit and slate the song like I could Boots but I just don't enjoy it.
    It took me a while to fully appreciate NLOTH. I loved HTDAAB. And I know there are fans out there who might have disliked or even hated it; but think it is a very strong album.

So when NLOTH was released, I was really looking forward to it. The band brought back Lanois and Eno, they were recording in Morocco and they were all talking about how great the whole creative process was going.

I'll admit I'm not a very sophisticated listener and even after playing the album several times, I still couldn't get into. Over time I did and I believe Bono's singing was the best it had been in a long time. There was this muscularity to it (ex. NLOTH, Moment of Surrender) and it seemed like there was a new layer to his voice.

I didn't think it was as good as HTDAAB, but it is good. I might be in the minority here, and that's okay.
  12. To me, No Line was more like a soundtrack to a movie. Very sound landscap-y. I can listen to it when I need to concentrate elsewhere and it washes over me. The Unforgettable Fire, outside the hits, does that. Atomic Bomb was, to me, an uneven album, but I love Yahweh and even Vertigo, and City of Blinding Lights was good the first 100 times.

I really think SOI was the best pure release in the "2nd era" of U2 for songs. I do not hate Leave Behind like so many...I think it is good to great for 2/3rds. But outside a song or two, the songs aren't all timers for me (I really like Kite and In a Little While). SOI brought more songs that, if released in a different era, would have resonated. Cedarwood, Joey Ramone, Every Breaking Wave...