1. U2 owes us a better setlist but that's another topic. Happy Leonardo won. I don't usually like his movies but he was great in Revenant.

The question though is why are the Oscars so black and white? Where are the Indians, the Hindu Indians, the Japanese, the Koreans, the Chinese, the Malaysians, the Indonesians, the Thai, the Maori, the Hawaiians, the Australian aborigines and so forth? Basically all the indigenous people NOT being represented at the black and white Academy Awards.
  2. While on the topic of representation, let's ask how many people from these cultures actually go into film. Then, you have to ask how many of these people are actually good enough to warrant an Oscar nomination.
  3. 99% of the time a latino appears on TV or movies, he/she is either a narc or a housemaid and you don't see us complaining about zero nominations.
  4. I was actually about to say the same thing about Koreans. Korean dramas are more valued than movies in that culture.
  5. Originally posted by INCA:U2 owes us a better setlist but that's another topic. Happy Leonardo won. I don't usually like his movies but he was great in Revenant.

The question though is why are the Oscars so black and white? Where are the Indians, the Hindu Indians, the Japanese, the Koreans, the Chinese, the Malaysians, the Indonesians, the Thai, the Maori, the Hawaiians, the Australian aborigines and so forth? Basically all the indigenous people NOT being represented at the black and white Academy Awards.
    Yeah, just ask Adam Beach and that guy that was in both dances with wolves and last of the mohicans....
  6. Originally posted by ahn1991:While on the topic of representation, let's ask how many people from these cultures actually go into film. Then, you have to ask how many of these people are actually good enough to warrant an Oscar nomination.
    Go watch 'Dead Lands from New Zealand' filmed in the Maori language, Then tell me it sucks so I can punch you in the face afterward. Go watch 'Red Cliff I and II' from China and tell me it sucks so... Go watch 'War of the Arrow' from South Korea and tell me....you get the idea.

I can name a lists of actors from many non-represented groups who have more acting ability than a lot of these achromatic (black & white) celebrities..
  7. Three words.

Foreign language films.
  8. Also, I've watched Red Cliff I and II in the original Chinese. It's a good movie that stands out above others in its class (Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Daggers, etc.) because of its complex plot line and compelling battle scenes. The acting itself was average.

Good movies do not equate to good acting. If the debate here is compelling acting, I don't think there were any Asians who's individual acting deserved an Oscar this past year.
  9. I didn't like "Straight out of Compton," but I really respected Ice Cube's response to people complaining about missing the Oscars. He said complaining about the Oscars situation was like crying about not having enough icing on your cake.

From the viewer's perspective, the fact a movie does or does not have an Oscar to its name is probably not going to change your opinion of it.
  10. Originally posted by cesar_garza01:99% of the time a latino appears on TV or movies, he/she is either a narc or a housemaid and you don't see us complaining about zero nominations.
    hhaha it s true ... argertinians always are thieves
  11. It is that time once again! I'll be updating the forums of the winners throughout the evening.
  12. Ha! Last year, as per usual, I had seen every single movie that had been nominated for best picture before the ceremony.

This year I haven't seen a single one of them!

I'll get on to the winners ASAP...I think "Manchester By The Sea" gets released next week.